Hair - Starting 25th February 9pm BBC3

12345679»

Comments

• LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spent far too long going, "What on earth, how can no one be talking about the final? Where is the thread?!" -- do you know how hard it is to search "hair"? :D

Now I've located the thread!! I really wanted Dominika to win as I think she's fab, but I guess she wasn't as creative this episode as she has been in the past. I wasn't overly impressed by Marvin's glamorous hairstyle (actually thought it looked a bit tacky for a red carpet) but I loved his reaction to winning and the challenge itself. I think Kate did best this episode but I thought they were all great to watch.

And how nice that their mums got a hairdo out of it!
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A joke winner to end what was an interesting series.
    Smug Marvin never even won a blockhead challenge. I think the judges were swayed by his mother's reaction to her tacky hairstyle (which didn't suit her at all...as hair stylists they should know that flowing long hair is a complete no no for women of a certain age). It just looked wrong on her.
    At least Katie had her mother's hair up so it looked much more elegant.
    Dominika had a wretched week, culminating in that awful power mullet that businesswomen from the 80's loved so much.

Dominika was the strongest consistently, but Katie really grew in the last few weeks so deserved to win.
  • Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barcajaden wrote: »
    wow thought dominica should have won

She snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Very weak week for her.
  • I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nattie01 wrote: »
    She snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

That is an excellent way of putting it. Bless her, she really did have a mare.

xx
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Excellent, very happy with that. Marvin and Kobi were the two I thought really got it. And nice to see Marvin winning doing what he knows. He'll be in demand and there's a lot of money to be made in black hair. :D

I hope so and indeed hope they all do well on the back of this show. Somebody somewhere certainly needs to snap up Dominika.....and not let all that innovative style vision and artistic talent go to waste!
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RingoJ739K wrote: »
    WOOHOO! Marvin has won!:D

I thought in terms of today's work, it would be between him and Katie as this was arguably Dominika's weakest work. I thought she would have the edge but for this final week, I thought she was weak out of all 3. But, I'm so glad that he has won the competition! Very well deserved!:D I think he's genuinely grown and developed during the competition, I've really grown to like him since day 1! A very likeable guy with a hidden checky persona. He really shone in the Hollywood theme task, without a doubt his best work! His mum looked beautiful with that hair (with extensions). I completely agreed with judges' comments about him taking things on board, he should be very proud! Bless him, he was so emotional!:D I'm really happy about the decision and I genuinely wish him the best for the future in further hairdressing. :)

Love your post.
    Nice one. :D
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an odd final for sure. What a shame to use the mums, putting the contestants totally at the mercy of their mum's very different hairstyles and hair types. Dominika was consistently outstanding in the competition and aced the challenges almost effortlessly - but what could she have done with her mum's short layers, other than give her a wig? You could tell how frustrated she was, not being able to showcase her talent.

Marvin's long pink-and-black curling hairpiece was great, but more suited to a younger woman I thought, than his lovely "proper mum" mum! I was surprised, because the judges made it clear they were looking for something age-appropriate, not just glamorous. Maybe Marvin needed the endorsement of winning more. He got progressively more shaky and stressed as the competition progressed.

I thought Katie's updo was easily the best in that particular challenge, and while I thought Dominika should have won overall, I was shocked that Katie didn't win either. Perhaps the judges decided it was fairer not to have either of the women win?

If they do a second series, I hope they've made a note not to spring random, unfair surprises on the contestants in the final...
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^
    Great post and I totally agree.
    The judges made it clear in the brief that the hairstyle was supposed to be age appropriate, so how in God's name they thought a long-locked weave was appropriate for a woman in her 50's/60's is beyond me.
    It's like they picked a shock winner just for the hell of it.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I get older I'm thinking more and more that that is what counts, rather than silly rules about 'women over a certain age shouldn't have long hair'. I plan to have long, white hair within a decade. :p:D

So true. I have a few decades till I get there, but I want to rock my long hair white. It will look amazing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anybody's making rules about older women's hair. Quite the opposite - the challenge was to respond to the person rather than impose your idea of glamour on them. If Marvin's mum had rocked up in lycra and stilettos, go for it. But she came across as a thoughtful, understated kind of person and I was expecting Marvin to do something a bit less predictable.

That said, who wouldn't like to dress up like a princess - and of course she loved it, he's her son :D
  • SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree with those who say Marvin's mum's hair wasn't appropriate. I'm not a fan of weaves or pink hair (!) but I thought she looked great. It suited her personality and she loved it. As I get older I'm thinking more and more that that is what counts, rather than silly rules about 'women over a certain age shouldn't have long hair'.

I agree.

And I thought she looked lovely.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dominika should have won. Simple. Don't know what the hell happened to her in the final but it's a shame. Marvin just wasn't doing it for me. Dominika was consistent throughout the whole show until the final. Marvin was always nervous, indecisive and received plenty of negative comments for his abilities. Such a shame she didn't get the rather crap looking trophy in the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with you there striing!