International Cricket 2014

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good start for England.........

SA 23 -3 off the first 6

Alison Mitchell has got herself onto the Sky team !
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    two run outs........SA now 33 for 5 after 10 overs.......:o
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that 's a understatement :-)
    An understatement for man managing KP I'm not so sure.
    They had already earmarked \KP to miss the one day and T20 well before he was sacked, so we simply do not know what agreements/plans were in place.

If there was no IPL, without cricketers having any other options all would have been calm I'm sure. It is certainly that 'limited other options' that has stunted the skills of our one day team.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    I voiced my concerns back in 2005 to my local county's chief exec about the long term future of cricket if it was removed from free to air tv. At the time he said he felt it was ok for now as it meant £££££s into the county game & 2020 gates would sell out......................almost 10 years we have a mess:
    1. 4 day games - noone knows when matches start/finish - being addressed but damage done
    2. Limited overs - formats change too quickly, no continuity in match days - being addressed, but damage done
    3. 2020 - the bubble burst a couple of years ago - attendances suffered
    4. Grass roots - we have lost many clubs locally over the past 10 years, folded due to lack of players
    5. Kids - production line getting harder to maintain once kids reach 15 or so - too many other interests, the game doesnt "hold" like it used to
    6. Lack of role models
    7. No free to air live cricket - ECb reduced watching cricket to a minority. Instead of capitalising on 2005 Ashes with more players in long term they sold out to Sky.

This is just a starting list.
    Agree totally. Yet I keep getting told by the Skylovas that everything in the garden's rosy. Here in the NW, I dread to think where local club cricket would be if we removed all the Aisian-background players (of whom cricket is in their DNA); we'd probably lose half the clubs.

If the new format (yet another new format, huh) of 20/20 spread throughout the season fails (bad weather, indifference etc) what happens next?

BTW the one bright spot last year was running county commentary on 6 extra (in addition to the webstreams). Is that continuing?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't we just replace the England men's team with the women?
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,714
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this is a daft question but in the women's game, do they have sledging ?

I assume they do but I never seem to hear anything when I'm watching
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Agree totally. Yet I keep getting told by the Skylovas that everything in the garden's rosy. Here in the NW, I dread to think where local club cricket would be if we removed all the Aisian-background players (of whom cricket is in their DNA); we'd probably lose half the clubs.

If the new format (yet another new format, huh) of 20/20 spread throughout the season fails (bad weather, indifference etc) what happens next?

BTW the one bright spot last year was running county commentary on 6 extra (in addition to the webstreams). Is that continuing?

In the West Mids we have been fortunate in having live commentary on county cricket for the past few years.
    Club cricket -standards have dropped alarmingly - I should NOT be playing at the standard I still do, but lack of quality coming through means I'm still required, even though I'm not the player I was. I worry for the future of cricket.
    I'm a big fan of Sky's coverage, it is excellent, but there should be one competition/and or test series per annum given over to free to air. If ITV can do the IPL..........
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,870
    Forum Member
    India look like they will be in the final against Sri Lanka.

Who you fancy to take the title?
    Forum Member
    Australia on top in the final at the moment

England haven't got going and are 96-7 in the 19th over
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    England finish on 105/8

IMO that's about 40/50 runs short of a competitive score, even on this wicket.

It will take a fantastic bowling performance to win this.
    Forum Member
    Australia look like they are going to cruise this

They just hit their 15th six of the tournament. We haven't hit any !
    Forum Member
    4 sixes already . Australia going to win with over a quarter of their overs to spare
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    At least the women got to the final although it's more or less a complete mis-match

Seen that cloud as the sun was going down there. Hope it won't affect the game later
  • sangrealsangreal Posts: 20,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrashed :(

Oh well, at least they got to the final.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    At least the women got to the final although it's more or less a complete mis-match

Seen that cloud as the sun was going down there. Hope it won't affect the game later

Looks threatening

Hope it's not win the toss win the match territory with D/L
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Cover's are on. Guess the start will be delayed (if they get going at all)?
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    toss at 2.10, Game Starts at 2.40

All depending on the rain of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After being in a reqlly strong position, India have lost their way and given the advantage to Sri Lanka
    What on earth was Yuvraj doing with 11 in 21 balls
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    india 20 runs short.
    Congratulations Sri Lanka in winning the T20 World Cup.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Sri Lanka on being the only team that England beat......no I mean on being World T20 Champions :)
    Forum Member
    Well done Sri Lanka

End of the line for Kumar who retires from the International scene with a winners medal

He seems to have been around forever

He's off to play for Durham next week
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,870
    Forum Member
    jake1981 wrote: »
    Well done Sri Lanka

End of the line for Kumar who retires from the International scene with a winners medal

week

Bit like Brian O'Discroll in the rugby.

End a successful long career with success.
  • Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Bit like Brian O'Discroll in the rugby.

End a successful long career with success.

I think Kumar and Mahela are still carrying on playing test cricket so hopefully we will be able to see them both for a few years yet. You'd have to look for a long time to find a nicer pair of cricketers.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here are Wisden's 5 cricketers of the year for 2014 (spoilers used for those who want to wait until the official announcement)
    Leading cricketer in the world - Dale Steyn
    5 Cricketers of the year - Shikhar Dhawan, Charlotte Edwards, Ryan Harris, Chris Rogers, Joe Root.
  • andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    tend to agree - it was a classic sign of management weakness. Perhaps the new incumbent (unless it's Ash) will have the guts to ask KP to play again?

wait. until. September. then you'll be able to judge, this goes beyond 'managing a player'
This discussion has been closed.