Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• Options
    JayLee1JayLee1 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    They are prompted every 15 minutes to register their presence/consciousness.

I've just had a vision of someone in a BARB household prodding a relative to wake up in order to keep those Coronation Street figures massively inflated.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    BBC Officials we 30 March

TVUK 6.67m
    Countryfile 6.38m
    Casualty 6.13m
    Shetland 5.56m
    Antiques Roadshow 5.04m
    Musketeers 5.27m
    Masterchef 5.36m/5.11m/4.29m
    Silk 5.06m
    Holby 4.85m
  • Options
    aberdaberdonianaberdaberdonian Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    duplicate.....cylon got there first!! :)
  • Options
    aberdaberdonianaberdaberdonian Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Very happy about this.

"@mediaguardian: BBC2 orders not 1, but 2 more series of Jed Mercurio's police corruption drama Line of Duty"

Never in doubt, but still good to see.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    BBC Officials we 30 March

TVUK 6.67m
    Countryfile 6.38m
    Casualty 6.13m
    Shetland 5.56m
    Antiques Roadshow 5.04m
    Musketeers 5.27m
    Masterchef 5.36m/5.11m/4.29m
    Silk 5.06m
    Holby 4.85m

Some good timeshifts there such as the Voice, Caualty. Also didn't the Musketeers end with like 3.8mil in the overnights? If so that's not a bad timeshift for it neither.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    They are prompted every 15 minutes to register their presence/consciousness.

Not what BARB website says.

In the room with TV on and they're counted as a viewer.

Do you have more detailed info?
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Does the trailer look good? How many viewers do you think it should get in that slot? It is being given a very good slot, not often is the tentpole Saturday night show [whether it's XF or BGT] moved to a 7pm-ish start to give a new show the 8pm hour slot. Normally it's BGT/XF at 8pm with the new show airing at 7pm.

It looked OK. It wasn't particularly insightful either way to be honest. I think it'll be harmless fun. I think it should rate reasonably well, probably around 4.5m (inc +1) is what it should hit in that slot.
    There's an England friendly against The Honduras which kicks off on Saturday 7th June at 21.45 BST. So I assume BGT Final will need to be over by 21.30.

Ah right. To be honest it shouldn't be too bad, it'll avoid the 9pm hour dropoff a bit, and same day timeshift and +1 should ensure it doesn't take too much of a hit. That'll be a very big night for ITV with the match on too. Do you think the final will definitely air that night?
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday's Game of Thrones scored a 3.6 in the demo on HBO which was a full point higher than last year, while not important for the cable channel it is still an impressive stat and will be the highest rated drama on broadcast and cable TV this week, beating the likes of Scandal, The Blacklist and NCIS.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's an England friendly against The Honduras which kicks off on Saturday 7th June at 21.45 BST. So I assume BGT Final will need to be over by 21.30.

That means nothing, BGT final gets massive ratings so the first half of the football can be dumped on ITV2 or ITV4 then second half on ITV.

ITV:

20:00: BGT Final
    22:30: ITV News
    22:40: Football second half

ITV2:

21:30: England Football Match
    22:30: Britains Got More Talent

My suggestion also cuts the half time chit chat too. Anyhow they losing a lot of the football next year so they need to cut down the coverage.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    That means nothing, BGT final gets massive ratings so the first half of the football can be dumped on ITV2 or ITV4 then second half on ITV.

ITV:

20:00: BGT Final
    22:30: ITV News
    22:40: Football second half

ITV2:

21:30: England Football Match
    22:30: Britains Got More Talent

My suggestion also cuts the half time chit chat too. Anyhow they losing a lot of the football next year so they need to cut down the coverage.
    Dream on. Itv arent going to show any part of an England friendly just before the 2014 FIFA World Cup on Itv2/4 :D
    Score wrote: »
    Do you think the final will definitely air that night?
    yeah, theres no other night it could possibly air.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vera will follow Endeavour in the 8pm slot on Sunday for 4 2hr episodes
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Bother's Bar

The Chase 3.41m (25%)
    Pointless 3.39m (24%)

University Challenge 3.24 (14%)
    Tipping Point 2.16m (21%)
    Eggheads 1.22m (7%)
    Perfection 1.18m (16%)
    Come Dine With Me 0.79m (5%)
    Deal or No Deal 0.67m (7%)
    Fifteen to One 0.66m (6%)
    Countdown 0.44m (6%)

The Chase and Pointless both doing really well, The Chase just edges it though. Come to think of it, The Chase' ratings look more impressive given that it has had an uphill struggle to match and even beat Pointless which has the luxury of being on all year round, celeb specials above 6m and news lead out with 5m+

Tipping Point doing great also, fantastic share.

I think the good thing about rotation, searching out for new hits is that eventually when The Chase starts to slide ITV will have those that rate well to replace it. The BBC will have a problem if Pointless begins to falter, although I imagine another antiques show will replace it.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't the Chase traditionally do well against Pointless on a Monday, and always seem to be posted.

Does anyone have the ratings for the whole of last week please:)

I really do think shows that starts at 5.00/5.15 when people are coming home from work should have +1 taking into the ratings.

When are BBC going to do there's so we can stop these bloody arguments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed no ones mentioned MM chat show climing a further 300k to 2.2mil. Am glad it's not a bad show plus it makes the ones who clamed him a flop look a bit silly now.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actual Game Of Thrones ratings

"@Jake_Kanter: The Game of Thrones series four launch simulcast drew a mega 537k (23.9% share) at 2am. Last night’s 9pm repeat got 674k (3%). #tellyratings"
    Just 9000 watching live at 2am according to Media Guardian, so from that respect not sure it was worth it. The best compromise is just to put the episode on demand as soon as they can - but perhaps keep quiet about it to focus attention on the 9pm showing.
    Dancc wrote: »
    15-to-1 down to 0.66m. :(

About the same number of viewers as clapped out DOND an hour earlier (0.67m).
    Ouch. Can't see how C4 can break this cycle now - but the last thing TV needs is them dipping out of another section of the day completely in favour of imports.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Not what BARB website says.

In the room with TV on and they're counted as a viewer.

Do you have more detailed info?

Could have sworn someone in the know on here said this was the case, but can't find the post now. I've emailed BARB and will post their reply.

Well the plan is that BBC One +1 will be taking over most of BBC Three's transmission slot in autumn 2015, and it will only broadcast from 20:00 onwards so Pointless won't benefit. (CBBC is taking the 19:00 hour.)
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't the Chase traditionally do well against Pointless on a Monday, and always seem to be posted.

Does anyone have the ratings for the whole of last week please:)

I really do think shows that starts at 5.00/5.15 when people are coming home from work should have +1 taking into the ratings.

Funny you should ask about BBC1+1

From Broadcast:
    ITV and C4 attack BBC1+1 plans

ITV and Channel 4 executives have hit out at the BBC’s plans to launch BBC1+1 amid fears that the time-adjusted service will have a significant impact on the commercial broadcasting landscape.

The commercial broadcasters told MPs on Tuesday that the channel will damage their audience share and force down advertising revenue. They added that the money used to launch BBC1+1 would be better spent on commissioning original content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

From Broadcast:

The cheeky f****kers. So it's ok for them to have it but not BBC.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It simply isn't possible for UK television sports rights to be the distributed the way the Ratings Thread would like: ITV having the rights they want without any competition for them, and the BBC, BT, C5, BSkyB and C4 having to fight one another for everything else.

We've had this explained to us dozens of times, and no amount of whining is going to change it, so can we please not have any further squealing the next time a sport not on ITV gets good ratings, whether it be the Boat Race on BBC One, or the Grand National on C4 etc. Let's just accept that's the way the sports rights market is, and let's also accept it without any "Yeah, but"s.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member

From Broadcast:
    I'm disappointed C5 haven't raised similar concerns, but at least ITV and C4 have spoken up. I think they are right.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    The cheeky f****kers. So it's ok for them to have it but not BBC.

Yes if they didnt want the BBC to have +1 then they should have been more circumspect before jumpimg on the bandwagon themselves.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that cylon.

I don't get ITV and Channel 4's grumbles. They think the +1 money should go instead on more original content. But wouldn't that also take viewers away from rival channels? The answer could be that the actual money spent on transmitting the channel, and repeat fees (the +1 rights might - for all we know - have been built into contracts for years, in the expectation of an eventual +1 channel) might not be very much at all. Hence spending that small sum on more original content might have less impact on the commercial nets' share of viewing than the +1 channel.

But I thought the key indicator for commercial channels was Share of Commercial Impacts (share for each channel of all instances of a commercial being viewed on TV) and BBC One +1 won't affect that at all.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it stops getting 8m on Monday anybody that thinks Corrie is in crisis will have a case.
    You were saying that about 9m until quite recently. And I suspect you'll be saying it about 7m every Tuesday before too much longer. ;-)

It's exactly the trap I and other EastEnders fans fell into when it was still getting good numbers on Mondays. As was said to us then: "What's the point in a soap only rating well one night a week?" :D
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    You were saying that about 9m until quite recently. And I suspect you'll be saying it about 7m every Tuesday before too much longer. ;-)

It's exactly the trap I and other EastEnders fans fell into when it was still getting good numbers on Mondays. As was said to us then: "What's the point in a soap only rating well one night a week?" :D

Though that 40% share is extremely healthy, a few months ago it would have been well over 9m but we're in BST now.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    It simply isn't possible for UK television sports rights to be the distributed the way the Ratings Thread would like: ITV having the rights they want without any competition for them, and the BBC, BT, C5, BSkyB and C4 having to fight one another for everything else.

We've had this explained to us dozens of times, and no amount of whining is going to change it, so can we please not have any further squealing the next time a sport not on ITV gets good ratings, whether it be the Boat Race on BBC One, or the Grand National on C4 etc. Let's just accept that's the way the sports rights market is, and let's also accept it without any "Yeah, but"s.
    Spot on Pizzatheaction. Too many on the Ratings Thread think Itv have a god given right to all the major sports rights. Now, we are seeing a big change in television and Itv will be without any regular/weekly top quality sports rights for years to come from 2016. BBC will rule the roost and be dominant.
This discussion has been closed.