Options

Did you wait until the very last minute to switch to digital telly?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went digital soon as it became available, whenever that was all those years ago. I remember we were the only ones on our street at the time.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure a lot of the elderly did.

No, I had digital right from the word go.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Father got Sky when it first came out, whenever that was. I was a young kid anyhow. I still have it.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't remember the year (2003?) but bought a Pace Twin PVR shortly after it was released.
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't keep-up with all the changes and now no longer have a television. Got left behind:(
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, we switched to digital when it first came out in '98. And a right bloody mess Sky made of it too.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In our house we've switched to Digital in 2001-2002, tv was good back then!
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were with some local cable company which ended up being taken over by NTL/Virgin so went digital whenever they did
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was an early switcher. I don't think I've had analogue TV since about 2001 when I moved into a flat that had cable but no TV aerial.

My current house has an ancient aerial which doesn't work (really should get it replaced at some point) and I have Virgin cable for the living room with Freesat in the bedroom.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never switched, analogue is still going strong, it was all a big con!!!
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Didn't really have much choice in the matter.

We were, AFAIK, one of the first places in the country where they switched off the analogue TV broadcasts (in about 2007), even though, up to that point, we'd never had digital reception.

All went completely smoothly, of course. :p
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    had sky digital for a few years starting back in 2002 - just the basic subscription in order to get more than the basic 4 channels. This soon turned out to be poor value as there was very little in the subscription, and then the prices started to go up. But at the time it was the only way to get any form of digital tv in this part the country.

Got freeview working 2005, but this required a giant aerial, with a booster - very costly, but just a one of charge. Dropped sky subscription. Aerial was prone to making a lot of noise in windy conditions (often around here) and was once damaged by high winds - fixed.

2010 and freeview started to roll out in this area proper, which caused many problems. Some of our 2005 era boxes had to be replaced due to them not being fully compatible with the final freeview which we now all have. Other issues were around reception where it actually suffered as a result of interference - too many channels from all over the country being picked up I think. Had the aerial changed for one, much smaller, pointed to the local mast (only half the chs), but which works perfect 99% of the time, and re-used the old sky mini dish for FreesatHD. Not changed anything since.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    I've had Sky since it started. I bought my LCD in 2003 with freeview built in. We were the first area in the UK to get freeview.

You mean the first area to have analogue switched off completely, not the initial transmitters and some relays that have broadcast DTT (OnDigital/ITV Digital and later Freeview etc.) from day one, which IIRC was 1998.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope: we got Sky Digital in 2000 and I got a Freeview box for the TV in my bedroom in 2009 (our switchover was in April 2011).
  • Options
    bad-jojobad-jojo Posts: 1,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't owned a TV since the switch as I live in a very poor signal area and don't have any outdoor aerial. I don't care enough about it to buy one for a rented house either.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I went with OnDigital when it first released. Was the second person in Dundee apparently to buy one of the boxes.

Then ditched that and got Sky Digital 3 weeks before official launch as i worked for them at the time.

So yeah, i started early :D
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Subscribed to Ondigital as soon as it was out. Queued up in Currys for a big Phillips Ondigital box. Was it November 1998, without checking ?
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on Sky since 99, not even tuned a digital tv signal yet.
  • Options
    _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    I got Sky digital when it first came out, and then switched to freeview when it first became free (using an old OnDigital box). The snow and ghosting that you get on analogue telly always used to drive me up the wall, I love the solid interference free picture that you get with digital.
  • Options
    JohnQuigJohnQuig Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    We've had Satellite/Cable for as long as I've been alive, but I got my own freeview box in 04/05 and then eventually upgraded to V+ and then TiVo.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I never switched, analogue is still going strong, it was all a big con!!!

Sometimes on here it is difficult to tell,,,,?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    You mean the first area to have analogue switched off completely, not the initial transmitters and some relays that have broadcast DTT (OnDigital/ITV Digital and later Freeview etc.) from day one, which IIRC was 1998.

You're probably right.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    When all this was kicking off in England in 2012, I remember thinking we'd had it since 2009, with no hoo-ha.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Nope. Went digital (cable) in 2006.