Tesco Clearing HD Boxes for £30

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Thanks kcip, and kasg & chrisy, for keeping this avaialble for all of us.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kcip wrote: »
    Credit given, though I had actually obtain the firmware direct from Trove and downloaded the site myself at the start of the year when I heard they were in trouble. :-)
    Fair enough, but the actual zip file on your website is the one I was PM-ing to people on this forum last year - I can tell by the timestamp on the readme.txt file (13-Jul-12 14:36) that I created from the email sent by Peter at Channel Zero. It's not a problem at all but I thought I'd explain my earlier comment. Thanks again for all you have done.

P.S. Thanks for the on-screen mention!
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »
    Right, I've completely powered it off and on, the software has reloaded from the new server and stuff now plays OK ... except Big School, which still crashes the box so it would be great if someone else could try this to check I'm not going mad, especially as reloading the software following a reboot is now so much simpler.

Yes, it is crashing my box too. So is 4Music - I thought that had been fixed?

Now I have a nerve-racking wait to see if the download works. (I'd managed to avoid crashing or powering off the box for the last three months!)

edit Yes, it downloaded, have the new page too - thanks for the shout out!
    Forum Member
    Ah, I see the 4Music red button prompt is back on my TV too - so it looks like they've (probably inadvertently) reverted back to the non-working version which doesn't blacklist the Technika.
  • kcipkcip Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Fair enough, but the actual zip file on your website is the one I was PM-ing to people on this forum last year - I can tell by the timestamp on the readme.txt file (13-Jul-12 14:36) that I created from the email sent by Peter at Channel Zero. It's not a problem at all but I thought I'd explain my earlier comment. Thanks again for all you have done.

P.S. Thanks for the on-screen mention!

Apologies. Before I re-registered the domain I'd spent some time over the last few months messing about with the files and downloading other copies etc. so probably replaced one with another. This was never a serious project and just a way for me to revive my own box, until I realised the domain was about to drop!

I've removed the annoying "groupon" banner adverts and made a few minor menu changes. Re-boot and these should appear. :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Apologies. Before I re-registered the domain I'd spent some time over the last few months messing about with the files and downloading other copies etc. so probably replaced one with another. This was never a serious project and just a way for me to revive my own box, until I realised the domain was about to drop!

I've removed the annoying "groupon" banner adverts and made a few minor menu changes. Re-boot and these should appear. :-)
    Why is everyone so attached to their Technika boxes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chiswick11 wrote: »
    They're the only HD receivers I've got, cost me about £20 each (OK, one of them failed after a couple of years and had to be replaced), they give excellent results, with iPlayer access into the bargain, does that make me "attached"?
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not. I only got one cos it was £19.99 delivered.

Given the crap looking EPG on it (previously covered with adverts) I wouldn't have paid much more tbh, but it's reliable enough. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool - now if you could just add itv Player, 4OD and Demand 5 we'd be laughing :)
    Forum Member
    Cool - now if you could just add itv Player, 4OD and Demand 5 we'd be laughing :)
    When I thought that I had lost iPlayer for good on the Technika I ordered a Now TV box for £8.99 and will cancel the subscription after the free months trial. It has the added benefit of Demand 5.
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    I'm not. I only got one cos it was £19.99 delivered.

Given the crap looking EPG on it (previously covered with adverts) I wouldn't have paid much more tbh, but it's reliable enough. :)
    You got yours for a penny less than me:-)
    I'm surprised how well it has worked considering the abuse that reviewers gave it.
    I just got it for iPlayer on one of our other TV's.
    Quite frankly HD does little for me and I seldom use it.
    Perhaps once I get my second cataract done I will notice the difference.
    Forum Member
    They're the only HD receivers I've got, cost me about £20 each (OK, one of them failed after a couple of years and had to be replaced), they give excellent results, with iPlayer access into the bargain, does that make me "attached"?
    Yes, you couldn't live without it:-)
    Forum Member

The average Technika box owner will get a surprise if he reboots and gets Tesco WTF!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The average Technika box owner will get a surprise if he reboots and gets Tesco WTF!
    Yes, I was thinking that could have been put more tactfully ;)
    Forum Member
    Yes, I was thinking that could have been put more tactfully ;)
    I thought it was well put.
    I recently sent an E-Mail complaint to Tesco about some of of their products. This produced much correspondence between us and a forty minute phone call from their customer service team where I went through many complaints.
    This in one of my E-Mails did not get a response.
    "Your electrical products in the Technika range are bottom of the barrel and the Set Top Boxes cannot get their firmware updated as Channel Zero has been off air for over a year."
    One of my original complaints was about the quality of Strawberries that have been falsely listed as being half price for so long..
    Turned out that case was already under way and they were fined £300K.
    Forum Member

If any of them had "big screen" versions that worked the same way as iPlayer that would be possible.

Unfortunately, I don't think they do. I think somebody said the YouTube TV-style service doesn't work either (www.youtube.com/tv)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    If any of them had "big screen" versions that worked the same way as iPlayer that would be possible.
    Actually only yesterday I bought a Samsung smart Blu-ray player from the Tesco ebay outlet (to replace my Philips player that died last week) and that has all four catch-up services, which means I now have three iPlayer-enabled devices attached to the living room TV and the two others have better interfaces than the Technika box so are likely to be more used. The player is a BD-F6500 and so far I am very impressed with it, heck I can even display the screen of my Galaxy S3 on it from the other side of the room!
  • Red DevilRed Devil Posts: 13,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not been on this thread for a while, so firstly thanks to everyone who was/is involved in return of iPlayer and attempting other improvements to the box, it's very much appreciated.

I was wondering if someone could try something for me. I was catching up on episodes of Doctors when watching last Friday's episode (when I started it playing it) the box crashed (CRC Error) and the same thing happened with Wednesday's episode too. All the other episodes played ok and other programmes also play. It's a little strange, I've tried it on two boxes with the same result. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Devil wrote: »
    I was catching up on episodes of Doctors when watching last Friday's episode (when I started it playing it) the box crashed (CRC Error) and the same thing happened with Wednesday's episode too. All the other episodes played ok and other programmes also play. It's a little strange, I've tried it on two boxes with the same result. :(
    That sounds like the same problem I had with the first episode of "Big School" (see earlier in the thread). The second episode was fine. I guess the only thing we could do is to contact the BBC about it as there seems to be something about specific streams that is crashing the Technika boxes and the problem might be affecting other hardware as well.
  • Red DevilRed Devil Posts: 13,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds like the same problem I had with the first episode of "Big School" (see earlier in the thread). The second episode was fine. I guess the only thing we could do is to contact the BBC about it as there seems to be something about specific streams that is crashing the Technika boxes and the problem might be affecting other hardware as well.

Thanks for the reply, I'll try contacting the BBC and report back if I get an answer.

I wonder if it's in anyway connected to this - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1882683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Devil wrote: »
    I wonder if it's in anyway connected to this - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1882683
    Probably not - the programme I could not play on the Technika played perfectly well on everything else and was not preceded by a trailer.
  • sjw8sjw8 Posts: 7,162
    Forum Member
    Just a BIG thank you to kcip, kasg and chrisy et al, for doing such a sterling job in maintaining the i-Player facility :)

Like others, the i-Player just disappeared from my box but thanks to your links and advice above, I managed to restore i-Player this morning :) Tried to do it via USB but for some reason it kept failing ( :( ) but eventually downloaded via Telnet :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Hi all.
    I just got a STBHDH2010A today from the knock-down stall at Tescos. Pleasantly impressed so far.

Please excuse my laziness in not reading the entire 70 pages worth of info here but I'm keen (as always) to have the nicest/latest f/w update.

Currently at ...

H/W 1.0
    S/W A3M-ST2A-10-0161
    Build 10

I've downloaded the beta zip STBHDIS2010_0225 from the link provided here. What would I gain by flashing it?

Cheers.
  • brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    strom wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I just got a STBHDH2010A today from the knock-down stall at Tescos. Pleasantly impressed so far.

Please excuse my laziness in not reading the entire 70 pages worth of info here but I'm keen (as always) to have the nicest/latest f/w update.

Currently at ...

H/W 1.0
    S/W A3M-ST2A-10-0161
    Build 10

I've downloaded the beta zip STBHDIS2010_0225 from the link provided here. What would I gain by flashing it?

Cheers.

Simple answer, BBC iPlayer. You must have an ethernet cable running to your router, or use (the dreaded) Home Plugs (PLT), via the mains.

If you're not interested in BBC iPlayer, I would leave your box running S/W version 0161, as it is very stable.

Chris 2E0NDT.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Cheers Chris. I get BBC iPlayer through my PS3 which has the benefit of being wireless so I might as well leave it for now.
    Ta very much.