Options

You find a wallet with £150 & no address - hand it in to police, or finders keepers?

ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
Forum Member
Imagine you found a wallet (or purse) with some money inside, let's say £150, and there was no apparent way of identifying the owner, no cards, and no address or contact number inside.

Would you take it to a police station/make some other attempt to locate the owner, or would you think 'finders keepers', if I don't have it someone else will, and keep the lot?

Comments

• Options
    BrettLanghamBrettLangham Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once found an envelope on the floor with no address on with £500 in and kept it

If I found a wallet though I would hand it in to the nearest place as I have lost my wallet before and know how annoying it can be
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would take it to the police. If someone's reported it missing they will give it to them, if its not claimed within a certain length of time they will give it back to you.

That could be someone's rent money or all they have to buy their family groceries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once found an envelope on the floor with no address on with £500 in and kept it

If I found a wallet though I would hand it in to the nearest place as I have lost my wallet before and know how annoying it can be

And its not annoying to lose £500 and for someone who finds it not to hand it in?
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Keep it, I'd probably end up being arrested for wasting police time in this country.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find a wallet with £150 in it... free prostitute for the evening!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take the money out and chuck it away, I'm skint at the moment :o
  • Options
    BrettLanghamBrettLangham Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And its not annoying to lose £500 and for someone who finds it not to hand it in?

Of course it would be but I felt greedy that day :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it would be but I felt greedy that day :D

And what about the poor person who lost it? Supposing they couldn't pay their rent or something important like that because you were happily spending money that wasn't yours?
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    And what about the poor person who lost it? Supposing they couldn't pay their rent or something important like that because you were happily spending money that wasn't yours?

Would you trust the police to do the right thing ?
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Hand it in. £150's not worth the guilt. I'd have images of an old dear crouched over a one bar heater in my head all winter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Would you trust the police to do the right thing ?

That's no excuse. There's a small chance that a greedy police man will keep it so I'll just hang on to it myself. :(
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what fool would take it to the police station?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it foolish to not keep money that doesn't belong to you and might be badly needed by its owner??
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd hand it in

We've all got a price but mine isn't £150
  • Options
    Nice N NormalNice N Normal Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    I'd hand it in. I'd feel guilty if I didnt
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had no means of returning it to its owner then I'd keep it (and I'd expect someone to do the same if lost my purse and had no means of tracking me down inside!)

Not sure how easy it is just to go and hand in a wallet these days? I mean do you have to wait to be seen? Do you have to fill out forms etc? :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once went to a cash machine at my local supermarket and someone had left £20 sticking out of the machine (it stays there for 1 minute or so before being sucked back in), I could see the person who had left it though so I though 'bonus!' However, when I went into the store to buy myself a new DVD I felt REALLY guilty so went to Customer Services to hand it in. They said if they hadn't heard anything within 14 days, it was mine and I never heard anything so I guess the person came back for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had no means of returning it to its owner then I'd keep it (and I'd expect someone to do the same if lost my purse and had no means of tracking me down inside!)

Not sure how easy it is just to go and hand in a wallet these days? I mean do you have to wait to be seen? Do you have to fill out forms etc? :o

You mightn't be able to track down the owner but there's a good chance they've reported it missing to the local police station in case someone hands it in.

Seriously, I've known of people in tears because they've lost their rent money or the money for their gas bill or whatever and I do sometimes wonder if someone is happily enjoying spending it on some little treat for themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd hand it in

We've all got a price but mine isn't £150

Interesting. So what is your price for taking the money? Above £150 or below?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once went to a cash machine at my local supermarket and someone had left £20 sticking out of the machine (it stays there for 1 minute or so before being sucked back in), I could see the person who had left it though so I though 'bonus!' However, when I went into the store to buy myself a new DVD I felt REALLY guilty so went to Customer Services to hand it in. They said if they hadn't heard anything within 14 days, it was mine and I never heard anything so I guess the person came back for it.
    Or the greedy staff pocketed it. Wouldn't surprise me if that happened at my local store.

I'd hand the wallet in if I could, I'd feel too guilty if I didn't.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd probably hand it in then cross my fingers that no owner comes forward because I think if it's left unclaimed, it will be returned to the finder?

That way I get the money without the guilt.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember years back, my mum found a wallet when she was shopping out of town. She took it to the local police station leaving her name and address.
    A lot of mum's colleagues couldn't believe that she actually did that. They said they would have kept it especially as it had £130 in. Mum was thinking it might have been someones savings for a holiday or something as it was mid summer. It was a very large amount of money then being in the 70's
    Mum was always a very honest person and I like to think I followed in her footsteps. I would do the same.
    She totally forgot about it and nearly twelve months later, she received a letter from the said police station asking her to call in and sign for the wallet and money as no one had claimed it. We were all delighted, her honesty paid off, she treated us all.
  • Options
    topptopp Posts: 2,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what fool would take it to the police station?

One who is honest
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Hand it in, if the Money is claimed the finder has to receive a percentage of the money anyway and if not claimed then the finder gets all the money after a period of time.
  • Options
    TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    Tempting as it would be, I would have to hand it in I couldn't live with myself thinking about some person running around frantic looking for it! Worrying about how ther're going to pay the bills feed the children etc etc etc. I would wait for a Receipt though so it couldn't be taken by anyone else other than the genuine person who lost & claimed it!
    My daughter inlaw lost her purse & car keys in March this year no one handed them in. It cost her a few hundred pounds to get new keys for her house & car!