Options

Famous and well recieved Comedians who you don't 'get' or consider funny

Comments

• Options
    mackembloke72mackembloke72 Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    morcambe and wise,little and large,jimmy tarbuck,frank carson and please dont get me started on ken dodd!!!
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blueju wrote: »
    Patrick Kielty, Andy Parsons, Ed Byrne, Chris Addison, Jack Whitehall

Patrick Kielty used to be a great comedian - until he decided he needed to be crude and offensive. Don't go to any of his live shows unless you are a drunken student

The same applies to Billy Connolly. And in his case the older he gets the more repugnant his 'humour' becomes.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Harry Hill. I'm not sure he is famous or a comedian but he keeps thinking his is and YBF scripted episodes are just terrible.

Hugh Dennis, just dull, can't act and Outnumbered wasn't funny
    either.

Lenny Henry. Talking a high pitch voice isn't really amusing :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I tried to watch Russell Howard's Good News tonight. The programme could have been reasonable, but Howard himself is simply unwatchable. He's such a knob that I had to switch over after five minutes.
    Can't stand him.

And Russell Howard seems to be getting worse and worse.

I'm another one who's not a big fan of Russell Howard. He seems a bit juvenile and crude.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Evans and Norman Wisdom — slapstick humour just leaves me cold
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Corden, he's about as funny as a dose of the clap.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blueju wrote: »
    Patrick Kielty, Andy Parsons, Ed Byrne, Chris Addison, Jack Whitehall

...he's a comedian? Blimey, that's how bad he is then. I thought he was just a television presenter.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenny Henry, his childish humour is better suited to children's TV.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Lenny Henry, his childish humour is better suited to children's TV.

He's gorgeous with a beard though :D
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I never found Tommy Cooper very funny, his act seemed one dimensional and has aged badly.

I never found Tommy Cooper funny back in the day and I still don't find him funny now. The same can be said of Morecambe and Wise.

French and Saunders are another act that have never so much as brought a smile to my face.
  • Options
    justamummyjustamummy Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Harry Hill
    Keith Lemmon - I liked bo selecta but Lemmon makes me feel sick.
    Russsel Howard - I liked him on mock the week but his stand up and "good news" seam to all be teenage boy humour.
    Ricky gevais
  • Options
    MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo Brand. I absolutely LOVE Getting On, which she has a hand in the writing of, and I think she's amazing in it, but I have always found her stand up really unfunny and full of completely dull observations about being a woman. Her acting has improved amazingly since she was in Ab Fab though...thank god.

Also, Jack Whitehall. Not funny at all, I can't bear him.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand Stewart Lee's humour. Perhaps it's too intellectual for me!
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    MamboJimbo wrote: »
    I don't think I'm the only one thinking that your bar for what constitutes blue material must be set waaaaaaaay down low, because it's generally agreed that Doddy is one of the last remaning old-school comics who would never use blue material in a million years.

Au contraire!

I was student in Liverpool back in the 70s, and when my parents came over for graduation, I booked tickets to go and see Doddy as a treat for my mum, who loved his singing.

It was a total cringe fest for us as Doddy's routine was as blue as it could be, and totally different to his TV persona. In those days he was actually quite funny if you enjoyed smutty jokes like my dad and I did, however, mum was a bit of a prude, and clearly hated every minute of it, so we ended up leaving at the interval.
  • Options
    offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much all of them.

I have never been into stand-up at all.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we change the title of the thread?

I'd suggest 'List of all comedians who have ever lived'
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    Au contraire!

I was student in Liverpool back in the 70s, and when my parents came over for graduation, I booked tickets to go and see Doddy as a treat for my mum, who loved his singing.

It was a total cringe fest for us as Doddy's routine was as blue as it could be, and totally different to his TV persona. In those days he was actually quite funny if you enjoyed smutty jokes like my dad and I did, however, mum was a bit of a prude, and clearly hated every minute of it, so we ended up leaving at the interval.

Im Liverpool born and bred and first saw Ken Dodd in panto as a child in the 60s. Ive never ever known him be a blue comedian. I think personally that theres a distinct difference between double entendre (or "smutty") and blue. I guess each to their own though and his "Auntie Mary... had a canary... up the leg of her drawers" type gags may not have been to everyones taste
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I like a lot of Spike Milligan's stuff especially the Q series, he like Monty Python is either very funny or just stupid because of the nature of their stuff.

One of Spike's things I don't get in the slightest is The Goon Show. Tried to listen and it just doesn't resgister with me.

I think surrealism has to be tempered, else it just becomes ridiculous. I loved the Mighty Boosh, and Noel's earlier stand up work, but his Luxury Comedy series was appalling.
    With Julien Barrett to ground him and give context, it realy works, but left alone I feel he, and comedians like Milligan, Python, Vic & Bob etc can sail away into extreme oddness that just is odd, not funny.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that bloke who did i'm a celeb on itv 2. lee evans and mcintyre
  • Options
    SuddenEliteSuddenElite Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I don't like saying it because I love The Thick Of It and think he's great in that, but Chris Addison.

Maybe I'm hypersensitive but as a guy from a working-class background I find him actually quite offensive at times. I totally understand that everybody from every background is fair game for comedy but sometimes Addison comes across as really nasty towards people. Pompous, arrogant, unfunny.

As I said, could be being hypersensitive though.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack Whitehall
    Sarah Millican
    Lee Evans
    Tommy Cooper
    Billy Connolly
    Frankie Boyle...although he has made me laugh, in the past. Ditto for Billy Connolly. I prefer his documentary stuff.

Have never been into the 'humour' of people like Bernard Manning and Roy 'Chubby' Brown.

I love a bit of slapstick comedy but never 'got' Norman Wisdom, either.

There are more....others, I'm a bit 'meh' about.

Having said that, I really like a good few of those who've been mentioned in the thread.

I guess it a case of 'different strokes....' and all that. Can well appreciate that what others find hilarious can leave me cold.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted- double post
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Merton. He ruins JUst a minute and HIGNFY for me
  • Options
    SnapeyDSSnapeyDS Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Not sure if ive already put this here earlier Paddy McGuiness winds me up.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie Boyle - 3rd rate Jerry Sadowitz tribute act who doesn't understand why a character like Sadowitz is funny in the first place.

Reginald D Hunter - Uncle Tom, kissing up to middle class white people while portraying an erudite well-to-do stereotypical 'well ah do declayah' persona that would have seemed dated and hackneyed by 1955.

Jimmy Carr, Ricky Gervais for the obvious reasons.

Michael McIntyre. Boring observational comedy - like a less sharp Jerry Seinfeld from 20 years ago, but aimed squarely at middle-class toffs who find nothing - and I mean nothing - on this earth funnier than skipping around with a floppy fringe like Little Lord Fontleroy.

Sarah Millican for the reasons others have stated. Likewise Jack Whitehall.

Leigh Francis because he's aimed at societies most determined ****wits who like their comedy to stem solely from catchphrases, preferably of 6 syllables or shorter that they can quote/buy bumper stickers of to satisfy their microbrained desire to make a joke while having no wit to speak of. These are the kind of people who choose their insurance packages based on what meerkat toy they'll get for signing up. Simples? Simples-minded pillocks.

Peter Kay, because he's lazy, unfunny and a ****.