Options

CW's The Tomorrow People - Season 1 (US Pace)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Nope, I did too. :)

I liked it too. It has a great deal of potential. I don't see how anyone can write off a program after watching one episode.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ivyteainn wrote: »
    I liked it too. It has a great deal of potential. I don't see how anyone can write off a program after watching one episode.

In some cases you can. A pilot really showcases what the story narrative is going to be and as a viewer you can predict the possiabilties from the outset - Not everything needs to be given a chance or will likely develop beyond what is intially shown.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    In some cases you can. A pilot really showcases what the story narrative is going to be and as a viewer you can predict the possiabilties from the outset - Not everything needs to be given a chance or will likely develop beyond what is intially shown.

Not really though. Almost all shows will show improvement in the second episode, be it small or large.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    As a nerdy fan of the original British 70s show, I'm vaguely interested in this US remake; though in this current TV world of 'people with special powers' it will probably be unfavourably compared with the likes of Heroes, The 4400, Alphas et al.

I also fear the unfeasibly good-looking cast will spend a lot of their time modelling angst-ridden poses to an soundtrack of 'sensitive-but-edgy' emo musak. But we shall see tonight when the first episode airs.

Looking forward to later episodes which include a guest appearance from Nicholas Young, who played John in the original series.
    Thanks for the Heads up, I'll check put the US series after the weekend. BTW: does US version have a "funky" them music as the original UK version???
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quinn. wrote: »
    Thanks for the Heads up, I'll check put the US series after the weekend. BTW: does US version have a "funky" them music as the original UK version???

No it's as bland as the series is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No it's as bland as the series is.

That's a pity. :(

The music was very good (for the 70s) a homage to the Radiophonic Workshop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    I liked it! I think it has great potential and looks like it has some good characters and conflict!

You have to give it a bit of slack though and not base everything on the first episode, which by its very definition has to explain the premise, establish characters and STILL provide action, all in the space of 43 minutes...which isnt really a lot of time to do that.

This is going to be good methinks!
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    I recently got the entire 1970's series on DVD.

When I was a kid, I never saw the first series "The Slaves of Jedikiah". Thankfully! Even allowing for the times, it's pretty awful. Somebody got paid to make that! How on Earth did it get a second series?!

The theme tune is still great, and I have fond memories of "The Blue and the Green", which I've yet to watch...
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the original, so I didn't have anything to compare it to.

I personally loved it. Has great potential to grow into a great show. Characters were interesting enough to keep my watching, and the story is pretty neat too.

Loved the powers!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Second episode was AWESOME!

I knew this show had great potential and it certainly lived up to it in the second ep!!

This is gonna be a goooooood series! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not quite sure what was awesome about it.

Pretty predictable stuff so far, from the obvious love triangle of the 3 main TMs, to the one dimensional evil leader of the Ultras, and the rebellious teen TM who needs to be saved from the Ultras.

I hope this show is more than just the fight between Homo ordinary and Homo superior.
  • Options
    GoldeyfishGoldeyfish Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it too! Second episode was good but a tad predictable in parts..
    Not keen on the developing love triangle..
    Will stick with it tho as it has lots of potential
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Goldeyfish wrote: »
    I enjoyed it too! Second episode was good but a tad predictable in parts..
    Not keen on the developing love triangle..
    Will stick with it tho as it has lots of potential

It definitely felt like an episode of Jumper this week.

What with all the 'jumping' in the building site. I was half expecting the Ultras to have those shock guns they had in Jumper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like how they keep wrapping everything up at the end of each episode as if its an open-ended conclusion. I'm curious as to who is Jed's superiors and what their real intent is. I'm guessing experimentation to unlocking the kill prevention and exploration of the gene, to maximise potential in the Tomorrow People.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I don't like how they keep wrapping everything up at the end of each episode as if its an open-ended conclusion. I'm curious as to who is Jed's superiors and what their real intent is. I'm guessing experimentation to unlocking the kill prevention and exploration of the gene, to maximise potential in the Tomorrow People.
    The cliched answer is that it is another group of TMs who are the heads of the Ultra group, who want to control all TMs rather than allow them to be individuals.

And either the uncle is one of them or he is being used by the TM Ultras to keep the other TMs down.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the pilot. It was surprisingly pretty decent. I'd say it was better than the Agents of SHIELD pilot. Obviously the Tomorrow People pilot offered nothing in terms of originality (let's face it, it's hard to be wholly original these days), but it was executed and structured pretty well and there was a freshness to it - which is what matters. Although, I prefer the characters in SHIELD over the teenage emos on this show at the moment.

Just about to watch Episode 2 now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Proving to have legs with the character development going well.

E4 should buy the rights as with all the over forties will have a fond memories of the 70's original.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed both episodes gunna be my new thing to waych I reckon
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its very teeny but but has already kept my attention more than alphas ever did. I think its aiming to be a Smallville type show, and thats a good thing. It certainly deserves to outlast that Agents of S.H.I.T .
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Third episode was very good. There was some solid character development with Kara and flowed well. It had a good structure and themes to it. There was a good balance of scenes between Ultra, the main character's school life and his underground life with the Tomorrow People. Latest episode was much better than anything Agents of SHIELD has had to offer, I have to admit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with others. The third episode was well structured and was an improvement upon previous episodes. I personally don't like the teen aspect of the story, because i really don't see it being conducive to the fight against Ultra and the rest of the cast's characters being in their early 20's. Dude needs to dropout of school and become an outlaw.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the first two episodes

It's nice little show. It's a good easy watch.

I like how each episode has this whole "freek of the week" thing going on so the show doesn't feel too serialized and it has that stand alone thing going on.

I did find episode 2 very anti-climatic though. They were so determined to help that boy out and all what happened was Kara punched him and then teleported him to the underground lair where they all hang out and then everything was hunky dory

My only problem is i don't like the whole teen thing. If they take away the high school scenes and the scenes between him and his best friend (which will obviously turn into this whole "will they or won't they saga), it would easily appeal to not just teens but adults as well.

In terms of the superhero shows out there, this is so much better than SHIELD
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    No posts since Episode #2? Guess this show has really taken off. :rolleyes:

I watched #6 today, and I'm beginning to think this isn't one of the stronger shows going at the moment.

#1) Darcy has been an agent of Ultra for quite some time, and his high in their ranks, yet (upon about to turn her sister in) is talked out of it unbelievably quickly by Stephen.

...then, when shes confronted, she just stands there with a gun. She can teleport, but she doesn't, so she dies. Well what a dumbass move that was.

#2) Stephen is officially a dick. Jumping in to bed with Cara (now the ****) ~ not that we didn't see that coming. John is going to be pissed, and thanks to that we all now know that John is going to go running back to Ultra on some revenge trip against Stephen. :yawn:

... I did have a third point to comment on, but I can't seem to remember what that was now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    No posts since Episode #2? Guess this show has really taken off. :rolleyes:

I watched #6 today, and I'm beginning to think this isn't one of the stronger shows going at the moment.

#1) Darcy has been an agent of Ultra for quite some time, and his high in their ranks, yet (upon about to turn her sister in) is talked out of it unbelievably quickly by Stephen.

...then, when shes confronted, she just stands there with a gun. She can teleport, but she doesn't, so she dies. Well what a dumbass move that was.

#2) Stephen is officially a dick. Jumping in to bed with Cara (now the ****) ~ not that we didn't see that coming. John is going to be pissed, and thanks to that we all now know that John is going to go running back to Ultra on some revenge trip against Stephen. :yawn:

... I did have a third point to comment on, but I can't seem to remember what that was now.

The whole exit strategy was strange. They could of all teleported at anytime from when the decision was made, up until when they were confronted. Also, she could have deflected all the bullets with her telekinesis or Stephen could have stopped time. She did not have to die.

I don't see how Cara is a **** getting with someone who she actually likes, rather than feels bound to, out of misguided loyalty.
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I wish John or Cara were the central character. Stephen is so annoying but I do love this show, really glad I stuck with it, i enjoy it more than Arrow :o.