Options

Labour supports the "bedroom tax" except for the vulnerable and disabled

mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
Forum Member
So now we see the real Labour agenda.
In principle they support the tax
They only want it recalled for the vulnerable or disabled.
If you read the motion they want to debate today they want additional funds allocated to local councils to support people moving to smaller premises.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmagenda/ob131112.htm

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mungobrush wrote: »
    If you read the motion they want to debate today they want additional funds allocated to local councils to support people moving to smaller premises.

I presume by 'vulnerable' they are referring to unemployed/low paid people in social housing, some of whom are disabled.

They don't want additional funds allocated to local councils either. They want deductions from housing benefit to stop, and the money which had been set aside for 'discretionary housing payments' to be used to fund local authorities so that they can help people move to more suitable accommodation. So they might agree that social housing can be better allocated, but that statement does not suggest that they support the tax (so it is a tax then? :D) 'in principle' or otherwise.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is no wrong with the tax in principle but the biggest problem is the availabilty of alternative accommodation. How you levy this tax when you know there is nowhere else to offer them?

It has been badly legislated and should be suspended until they get it right.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    It has been badly legislated and should be suspended until they get it right.

Agreed, For this policy to be even remotely fair it should only be applied where a suitable alternative has been offered and refused (without good reason).

Not enough 1 or 2 bedroom flats? Then build some.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    There is no wrong with the tax in principle but the biggest problem is the availabilty of alternative accommodation. How you levy this tax when you know there is nowhere else to offer them?

I agree apart from it isn't a tax and therefore isn't levied.
  • Options
    sbuggsbugg Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So now we see the real Labour agenda. In principle they support the tax

I thought you Tories didn't like calling it a tax :D

There hasn't been a real Labour agenda for years, all the main parties are to the right now days so you should be happy
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you actually read the content of your link? because I have, and nowhere does it even hint that " Labour supports the bedroom tax" as your thread title says,

Housing benefit

Edward Miliband

Rachel Reeves

Ed Balls

Chris Leslie

Stephen Timms

Ms Rosie Winterton

That this House regrets the pernicious effect on vulnerable and in many cases disabled people of deductions being made from housing benefit paid to working age tenants in the social housing sector deemed to have an excess number of bedrooms in their homes; calls on the Government to end these deductions with immediate effect; furthermore calls for any cost of ending them to be covered by reversing tax cuts which will benefit the wealthiest and promote avoidance, and addressing the tax loss from disguised employment in construction; and further calls on the Government to use the funding set aside for discretionary housing payments to deal with under-occupation by funding local authorities so that they are better able to help people with the cost of moving to suitable accommodation.

can you show me where Labour are "supporting" the spare room punishment because I can't see it?

and the response?
    Amendment (a)

The Prime Minister

The Deputy Prime Minister

Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer

Secretary Eric Pickles

Secretary Iain Duncan Smith

Steve Webb

Esther McVey

Line 1, leave out from ‘House’ to end and add ‘notes the substantial structural deficit which was inherited from the previous Government
    3 and a half years in and they still keep wheeling out this excuse
    and the need to get the nation’s finances back into shape; further notes the need to bring expenditure on housing benefit under control; further notes that the proposed reversal of this policy would cost the Exchequer around half a billion pounds a year;
    lie, it's actually costing more than it's saving
    regrets any exaggeration and misrepresentation
    by charities, the church, councils, housing associations, their very own partners in government ,and even some Tory MPs???
    of the effects of the policy; recognises the inequality of allowing social tenants to receive benefit for a spare bedroom
    the bedrooms aren't "spare" they weren't "spare" before the bedroom fine was introduced and they aren't "spare" now, people on HB get the rent for the property, they do NOT and never have got 'extra' money for a 'spare' room,
    whilst denying this opportunity to private tenants; supports the Government’s action to deal with this unfairness whilst protecting vulnerable groups such as pensioners
    another lie, ALL pensioners are not "protected"
    and providing substantial funding through Discretionary Housing Payments to local authorities to support other tenants who would otherwise be adversely affected
    garbage, the average payment under the DHP is around 3-4 pounds a week, the loss in benefits can be as high as 25 pounds a week, the DHP only lasts for 12 weeks and has to be re applied for and in order to get it one has to go through the humiliation of listing everything they owe or own
    further notes the Government’s continuing commitment to monitor the effects of the policy and the use of Discretionary Housing Payments; and welcomes the potential beneficial impact of this policy on those living in overcrowded accommodation and the 2.1 million families on waiting lists
    more garbage and this from the woman who "regrets" any exaggeration and misrepresentation
    When there are THREE times MORE more spare room criminals in the north east of England, than there are people "living in overcrowded accommodation" and on the waiting list" so people are being punished for having a 'spare room' when,if they all moved into one of the 'mythical' smaller places, 2 thirds of the homes would have no one to move into them,

it really is a bit rich to hear a Tory talk of exaggeration and misrepresentation when it comes to their attitudes towards the poor, the sick and the disabled,

Oops.... sorry for arguing my point,... I mean "ranting"
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot see OP's point, even the most lefty have said that it is a good idea IN PRINCIPAL.

But as usual with this government they rushed from idea to implementation without considering the consequences
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    My point is that all the lefties here have been crowing about how Labour will repeal this "charge" or "tax" or whatever.
    But the reality is that they wont recall it If they do get elected, all they will do is just tweak it around the edges for a small number of disadvantaged groups.
    Which is what it probably needs anyhow.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Edward Miliband
    Rachel Reeves
    Ed Balls
    Chris Leslie
    Stephen Timms
    Ms Rosie Winterton

That this House regrets the pernicious effect on vulnerable and in many cases disabled people of deductions being made from housing benefit paid to working age tenants in the social housing sector deemed to have an excess number of bedrooms in their homes; calls on the Government to end these deductions with immediate effect; furthermore calls for any cost of ending them to be covered by reversing tax cuts which will benefit the wealthiest and promote avoidance, and addressing the tax loss from disguised employment in construction; and further calls on the Government to use the funding set aside for discretionary housing payments to deal with under-occupation by funding local authorities so that they are better able to help people with the cost of moving to suitable accommodation.

I've read it several times and i still can't make sense of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    can you show me where Labour are "supporting" the spare room punishment because I can't see it?

genuinely it is not clear to me what they mean.

But you have only quoted the end of a sentence:
    That this House regrets the pernicious effect on vulnerable and in many cases disabled people of deductions being made from housing benefit paid to working age tenants in the social housing sector deemed to have an excess number of bedrooms in their homes; calls on the Government to end these deductions with immediate effect;
    it's so badly written i can't be certain, but the deductions it is referencing maybe the ones mentioned at the beginning of that sentence, ie. pertaining to the vulnerable and disabled. or may not be.

additionally it does seem to indicate that they want more funding to help with implementation.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"vulnerable" is a very emotive word, and is severely over used in modern politics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trunkster wrote: »
    "vulnerable" is a very emotive word, and is severely over used in modern politics.

my best guess from my reading of it is that they consider everyone in social housing to be vulnerable.

which is patronising in the extreme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you actually read the content of your link? because I have, and nowhere does it even hint that " Labour supports the bedroom tax" as your thread title says,

This bit - "and further calls on the Government to use the funding set aside for discretionary housing payments to deal with under-occupation by funding local authorities so that they are better able to help people with the cost of moving to suitable accommodation."
  • Options
    MorlockMorlock Posts: 3,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Housing Benefit doubled under Labour McVey? The HB bill in 1997/98 when Labour took office was £12.2bn. When they left in May 2010 it stood at £20.8bn. That is an increase of £8.6bn or 70% – it did not double. However the Housing Benefit bill under the Tories stood at £3.8bn in 1986/87 and rose to £12.2bn in May 1997. The HB bill MORE THAN TRIPLED under the previous Tory administrations yet McVey conveniently omits this fact. So not only has McVey knowingly misled the local electorate she has also knowingly left out the fact that her party’s record was over 4.5 times worse than the last Labour government she so decries."

http://speye.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/the-knowing-lies-ministers-tell-over-the-bedroom-tax/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    my best guess from my reading of it is that they consider everyone in social housing to be vulnerable.

Not really, as not everyone in social housing is being affected by this - just the ones of working age who are not earning enough to pay full rent either through low pay, disability, unemployment or a combination of these. I'd say that means they are a fairly vulnerable group, comparatively speaking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morlock wrote: »
    "Housing Benefit doubled under Labour McVey? The HB bill in 1997/98 when Labour took office was £12.2bn. When they left in May 2010 it stood at £20.8bn. That is an increase of £8.6bn or 70% – it did not double. However the Housing Benefit bill under the Tories stood at £3.8bn in 1986/87 and rose to £12.2bn in May 1997. The HB bill MORE THAN TRIPLED under the previous Tory administrations yet McVey conveniently omits this fact. So not only has McVey knowingly misled the local electorate she has also knowingly left out the fact that her party’s record was over 4.5 times worse than the last Labour government she so decries."

http://speye.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/the-knowing-lies-ministers-tell-over-the-bedroom-tax/

if we are using the phrase 4.5 times worse for rising housing benefit then that would seem to be something of and admission that we should be lowering it.

which rather begs the question how you would propose to do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dotty1 wrote: »
    Not really, as not everyone in social housing is being affected by this - just the ones of working age who are not earning enough to pay full rent either through low pay, disability, unemployment or a combination of these. I'd say that means they are a fairly vulnerable group, comparatively speaking.

i understand that not everyone on HB or in social housing is affected by this but i don't think it can possibly mean that all the people on HB and affected by this are vulnerable as if it has actively searched out only the vulnerable.

but it is still not clear what their policy is for people they don't regard as vulnerable, or if indeed there are any people affect by the bedroom tax that they don't regard as vulnerable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if we are using the phrase 4.5 times worse for rising housing benefit then that would seem to be something of and admission that we should be lowering it.

Indeed, which is more important than how much under which governments it got to its present levels. Having said that the cost of housing is something that needs addressing too in terms of it being related to incomes and affordability.
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    What is this nonsense about DHPs only being for 13 weeks.:mad:

From Discretionary Housing Payments Guidance Manual April 2013.
    5.1 There is no limit to the length of time over which a DHP may be made. It may be appropriate for you to make a short term award to give a claimant time to sort out their financial or housing circumstances, particularly if they are trying to find alternative accommodation or gain employment. A time-limited award may also be appropriate when an impending change of circumstances will result in an increase in benefit.
    5.2 Alternatively, you may wish to make an indefinite award until the claimant’s circumstances change. The start and end dates of an award are decided by LAs on a case by case basis.
    5.3 For example, if you were to award a DHP to a disabled claimant who lives in significantly adapted accommodation in the social rented sector but who is subject to the removal of the spare room subsidy, you might consider the DHP on a longer-term basis, including an indefinite award subject to a relevant change in their circumstances. DHPs may also be considered on a longer term basis for claimants who have a medical condition that makes it difficult to share a bedroom. See Section 2 of the Good Practice Guide for more details.
    Even with time-limited awards, the review can be automatic with no forms to fill in.

Strange that Labour were quite happy with the rules on vulnerable and disabled in the private rented sector. If they had changed them, it would be automatic that they would also apply to the social rented sector, as the legislation was tacked onto the private rented sector rules.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep indeed, I wonder if there is an official labour party scale of vulnerability?
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member

Strange how you notice that but conveniently forget about the Tories calling pensioners "vulnerable". I would say that disabled people are more likely to be "vulnerable" than pensioners.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    trunkster wrote: »
    Yep indeed, I wonder if there is an official labour party scale of vulnerability?

And another one who conveniently forgets to comment on the Tories calling pensioners "vulnerable".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Strange how you notice that but conveniently forget about the Tories calling pensioners "vulnerable". I would say that disabled people are more likely to be "vulnerable" than pensioners.

i don't get your point.

are you saying it's wrong and the conservative motion is just as bad and i should have pointed it out?

what are you saying?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Indeed, which is more important than how much under which governments it got to its present levels. Having said that the cost of housing is something that needs addressing too in terms of it being related to incomes and affordability.

Yes, and you would think that selling off the last dregs of social housing and introducing near-market rents for the ones that don't sell would be least likely to help reduce the HB bill, yet they're forging ahead with these plans anyway. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And another one who conveniently forgets to comment on the Tories calling pensioners "vulnerable".

Applying the term vunerable to a whole group of people is probabilty not a good idea as there will be many in that group who aren't. You therefore need criteria to define who is considered vunerable in the said group.