Hard water and its effects on hair?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
Forum Member
✭✭
I have recently moved to Southampton from Scotland so have gone from a soft water area to a hard water area.

I have been told that hard water is bad for your hair and also that it can cause hair loss (skeptical about this claim!).

I'm just wondering if anyone living in a hard water area has any tips on how to look after you hair, for example are there shampoos that are better to use than others?

Comments

• morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in a hard water area. You're completely correct. It makes hair horrible. Shampoos and conditioner do not work as effectively.

I always soften bath water by using a bath bomb or just some simple bicarbonate of soda. Dip your hair into the softened water. That helps to remove that metal-y, sticky build up.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Nothing constructive to add OP, only that I'm also an exiled Scot living in Hampshire (Portsmouth) and feel your pain! It's got so that I don't really notice it now to be honest- been here since 2005. You used to be able to buy shampoo specially formulated for hard water areas (I think Lush did it) but not sure if it's around anymore. Worth a Google search maybe.

ETA: http://www.lookfantastic.com/area-h20-shampoo-and-conditioner-duo-for-hard-water-area-normal-hair-2-products/10618452.html