Options

Problems after eating

decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For about the last 2 months I've had a few problems after eating.

Basically after a meal I'm quite often having stomach pains, and then, erm, toilet time :blush:

There doesn't seem to be any kind of pattern as to what food I eat, so I can't pinpoint it down to anything in particular. I'm a small person, and tend to eat light, but it seems like if my stomach has the tiniest hint that it's a bit full...problems. I'm in my 30's and otherwise fit and healthy.

It only lasts for 10 minutes or so, but it's getting so that I'm scared to eat much of anything, especially if I'm not at home!

I will go to the doctors but probably wont have time this side of Christmas (as it's not really urgent, I feel fine otherwise)- I just wondered if anyone here had had similar problems and found out what the issue was.

Comments

• Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try laying off the usual suspects for a week. Wheat, dairy, booze and see if it makes a difference. Keep a food diary.

Sounds like you're intolerant to something somewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LightningIguana beat me to it.

Keep a food diary and highlight what makes you feel particularly uncomfortable, write exactly when and how the symptoms manifest themselves.

Sounds like a possible wheat allergy but I'm not a doctor or a dietician so get yourself checked out.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had similar symptoms. Was diagnosed with gallstones, and went for surgery. Turned out instead that I had large tumours on both ovaries, had a radical hysterectomy and thankfully they turned out to be benign. Now I'm healthier than I have been for a long time.

The simple message is: while quite likely to be nothing sinister, don't put off that visit to the doctors. Go at the earliest opportunity.
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    For about the last 2 months I've had a few problems after eating.

Basically after a meal I'm quite often having stomach pains, and then, erm, toilet time :blush:

There doesn't seem to be any kind of pattern as to what food I eat, so I can't pinpoint it down to anything in particular. I'm a small person, and tend to eat light, but it seems like if my stomach has the tiniest hint that it's a bit full...problems. I'm in my 30's and otherwise fit and healthy.

It only lasts for 10 minutes or so, but it's getting so that I'm scared to eat much of anything, especially if I'm not at home!

I will go to the doctors but probably wont have time this side of Christmas (as it's not really urgent, I feel fine otherwise)- I just wondered if anyone here had had similar problems and found out what the issue was.

Yep, as others have said, keep a food diary & go to your GP who will likely ask for a blood test to be done (rules in or out things like food poisoning, a bug, coeliacs disease) also may want a stool sample.

I'm just going by what was the case for me (nausea/ diarrhoea/ some abdominal pains/ needing to pass stool straightaway after eating sometimes etc) & eventually everything came back clear & IBS was diagnosed.

Just one thing about eliminating stuff-I was told not to eliminate things until after the bloodtest as it could give a false result with the stuff not being in the system anymore

In my case it seems a few things trigger but not all of the time, depends on whether I'm having a flare up or not it seems.

Best of luck
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the good advice - a food diary is a great idea, I'll do that. Got a docs appointment for next week - quite right, I shouldn't put it off, and actually this problem could get worse over Christmas, what with the mountains of food available!

Thanks again :)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a similar problem with bloating, stomach cramps and feeling sleepy. The strange thing is that it only happens if I have a big meal in the evening. I was always brought up to have the main meal of the day, dinner, at dinner time - ie, around mid-day. At tea time I will perhaps have a couple of rounds of toast.

I dread being invited for a meal with people who eat their main meal in the evening, because I simply can't seem to digest it at all and immediately afterwards start to feel extremely uncomfortable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I have a similar problem with bloating, stomach cramps and feeling sleepy. The strange thing is that it only happens if I have a big meal in the evening. I was always brought up to have the main meal of the day, dinner, at dinner time - ie, around mid-day. At tea time I will perhaps have a couple of rounds of toast.

I dread being invited for a meal with people who eat their main meal in the evening, because I simply can't seem to digest it at all and immediately afterwards start to feel extremely uncomfortable.

Aw, that's horrible, I know what you mean. If I eat a big meal too late I can't sleep!