Hiring a cleaner...where to start?!

ahrimaniacahrimaniac Posts: 981
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello there

OK, now I know that possibly seems like quite an obvious thing, but my partner and I want to hire a cleaner to come in for maybe four hours a week just to do the crappy jobs, like vacuuming, polishing, cleaning the glass shower, giving the floor a mop, that sort of thing.

Because we're thick, I don't really know where to begin. I assume we'll need to interview but then do you just pay cash in hand, or what? Will anyone want such a 'small' cleaning job? Our house is tidy so it won't take much, it's just doing the jobs above.

Is there things like insurance or whatnot to think about...eep. Plus I'm a bit worried about them nosing through my things :o

Comments

• ahrimaniacahrimaniac Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, what's a reasonable rate of pay? I don't want to be all tight and miserly but still.
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you look online for a cleaning agency that supplies cleaners for domestic work.
  • ahrimaniacahrimaniac Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did think about agency but not sure where they stand for four hours a week (if that!) - I'd prefer someone local too. Maybe stick a notice in the newsagents...
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ahrimaniac wrote: »
    Is there things like insurance or whatnot to think about...eep. Plus I'm a bit worried about them nosing through my things :o

You have two options
    1) Go through a proper agency. There will be loads locally. The agency will be the employer, not you, so you don't need to worry about tax or anything. Possibly more reliable but it will be more expensive than...
    2) Ask around friends and neighbours to find someone who does cash in hand work. The taxman needn't ever find out ;-)

What you pay will depend on the type of work you want doing.
  • chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to have a cleaner - we used Molly Maid which has franchises across the UK. They were ok and had the benefit of being fully insured in case of breakages etc.

There is also a company called Merry Maids which are similar
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 5 years I had a lady come round once a week for 3 hours fora out 18 months. It's a bit misty how it worked now, I went though an agency where the lady came round and charged me £2 hour (by monthly dd) and she sorted out the cleaner and I had to leave £6 an hour for the cleaner.

After about four months the cleaner said she never heard from the agency and I said I didn't either.... Soi said sod it,I'll cancel the dd and pay the cleaner an extra £1 an hour so we both were better off. I used to round it up to £25 a week though. I have no idea if she did three hours or not, if she sat watching Jeremy kylefor an hour then rushed through, I honestly didn't care because when I came home the kitchen and bathroom were clean and tidy at least and she'd often make the beds and do other bits like clean out the fridge etc.

It was a big help to us both and also helped us keep on top of the tidyness. In the end I had to cancel because we decided to save up for a central heating system. I've been thinking about getting her back to be honest :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ahrimaniac wrote: »
    I did think about agency but not sure where they stand for four hours a week (if that!) - I'd prefer someone local too. Maybe stick a notice in the newsagents...

Whoever you get will be local. Nobody is going to travel miles just to do a bit of cleaning. If you Google your town name + cleaning then there will be loads listed. Just send an email to a few of them to get quotes.