Options

12 Monkeys (UK Pace, Fridays @ 9pm on Syfy)

Comments

• Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was promising. Looks like time travel follows Looper logic.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^do you have any specifics in mind as I've been ok with how they've handled the tt stuff.
  • Options
    runfor yourliferunfor yourlife Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    oilcat wrote: »
    Well done SyFi way to ruin he ending grrr

They also mucked up extant a few weeks ago. Someone really needs to put a rocket under the person who programmes the automation!
  • Options
    Terry.RTerry.R Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilcat wrote: »
    Well done SyFi way to ruin he ending grrr

It's ridiculous!

Is that channel run by a bunch of 5 year olds!

Have they heard of the word professionalism?!

It's only a small thing but It shows their utter contempt for the viewing public when they do things like that!
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Željko Ivanek has played wrong 'uns so many times on American tv shows he really ought to be made an honorary Brit
    Just about every other US drama I watch - he is in...>:( - bored I am, with him.

But 12M's is good - a promising start, helped by the Naomi Watts look-a-like Amanda Schull, Dr Cassandra.;-)
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I didn't make it to the end I'm wondering what it was that they did to muck it up ?

:o
  • Options
    PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    As I didn't make it to the end I'm wondering what it was that they did to muck it up ?

:o

They split the screen and had a loud advert for next week before the end of the first episode! >:(
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    ^ Yep, they did it to both Extant and Continuum last week as well. Idiots.

I enjoyed this first episode more than I thought I would. Looking forward to next week.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Joooe wrote: »
    ^ Yep, they did it to both Extant and Continuum last week as well. Idiots.

Maybe they've got a new work-experience guy in pushing the buttons ^_^

For Continuum I immediately downloaded the on-demand version so I could find out what was being said at the end!

I quite enjoyed the first episode. Certainly worth giving it a go.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it. Its years since I watched the film, was going to again then changed my mine. I just remember Bruce Willis being an mental hospital and Brad Pitt wandering round warning him about things, then time jumping.:D

The actor was also in Doll House as well as Nikkita , he usually does the scientist tech guy. So it was a change to seen him doing this, action/ hero thing.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    The actor was also in Doll House as well as Nikkita , he usually does the scientist tech guy. So it was a change to seen him doing this, action/ hero thing.

He wasn't in Dollhouse, you're confusing him with Fran Kranz.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    He wasn't in Dollhouse, you're confusing him with Fran Kranz.

Okay, they must look similar.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit, Kranz is generally more annoying.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my all-time favourite films, I'm a bit unsure about the idea of translating it to a TV series.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen the first episode and thought it was good. Much better than Extant and Continuum. I hope it doesn't finish like this film though.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    It will need to go some to be better than Continuum :p
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scott789s wrote: »
    Spent most of the show thinking "where do I know him from?"

Then looked him up, he was Pyro in X-Men.

Apart from that a reasonably promising start, so i'll keep it series record for a few weeks.

was he? I only know him from Nikita and loved him in that - he played Birkhoff :p
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ^do you have any specifics in mind as I've been ok with how they've handled the tt stuff.
    In Looper, stuff that happened, happened, and affected the timeline from then on, but couldn't affect what had happened earlier. So if you cut off a time-traveller's finger, it would disappear from his older self as soon as you did so, even though half an hour earlier he had been walking around with it intact. It was a fairly twisted and unconventional view of cause and effect. I think it does eventually fall apart if you look at it too hard, but it does have a bit more consistency to it than it got credit for.

I don't know if 12M is using the same rules, but the scene scratching the watch was similar to things in Looper.
  • Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't enjoy the film all those years ago but I did enjoy the first episode of this. I liked the cast. I'll see how it goes....
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I don't know if 12M is using the same rules, but the scene scratching the watch was similar to things in Looper.
    Similar (as you say) but not exact...... hold on a mo.. it IS exact, because the scratch happened right there, the two watches being linked as they're the same watch in the same time zone but from different times. So when the old guy goes back and his younger self is tortured it DOES follow thru that chopping of youngers leg results in olders leg going WITHOUT needing to explain how he was walking around all fine and dandy 5mins before. Although when they did the whole arm carving message thing, we should really see FRESH cuts on the older Bruce's arm rather than the healed scars we got, right ?! And Bruce REALLY shouldn'ta vanished at the end, but keeled over due to the gunshot wound. :)

Back to Cole and the watch. If, instead of the visible scratch, he'd taken HER watch, opened the back and got her to scratch something on the INSIDE. Then took his one, opened the back to show the same message, but aged. Well this would be the show NOT doing things like Looper because the markings on HIS watch would have always been there (him being gifted her watch in the future, a future following this watch scratching moment) rather than appearing immediately after her scratching HER watch.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did look for it on my Tivo but didn't find it. Now I know why. Film = Twelve TV Show = 12 :)

That's surprised me as I thought that it would automatically look for both, pretty sure that Google does and maybe the V+ too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I must be looking back at Dollhouse through warped glasses.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen the film so relying on the show to give me an overview of the original story. It's pretty interesting, but I'm massively biased because I love Aaron Stanford and would watch him in anything. Another Nikita actor is in it too - Noah Bean. His character is pretty boring so far but I imagine he has a larger part to play later on.

The scientist Jones (future) has a really annoying accent - anyone know where she's supposed to be from?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I liked the film with Bruce Willis, and I like sci-fi in general, and particularly time travel stuff so I should be loving this. I loved 'Fringe' for instance. But in fact I am finding '12 Monkeys' really boring and a chore to watch. One reason could be that the characters are uninteresting and not fleshed out.

Does anyone know if it gets better? Because having just watched episode 2, I am thinking of packing it in.