12 Monkeys (Season 1 *US Pace*)

T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
Forum Member
✭✭
I couldn't find a US Pace thread for 12 Monkeys, so thought I'd make one for those who've watched the show and wanted to post their views about the latest episodes.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the series so far. It's nothing spectacular, but it's still very good and entertaining. Hopefully it can build into a great show for years to come. As I mentioned in the UK Pace thread, it's not completely faithful to the 1995 film and is a retelling of that story. However, it does stick to the basic premise and setup of the movie. I do feel some of the changes were needed to make it work as a TV show, so I fully support the creators on this.

I have a feeling they may go the mystical/sci-fi route with this version of 12 Monkeys.... just a hunch I got from the spontaneous appearances of the monkey symbols in major cities across the world - how are they connected to the outbreak of the plague? Is it some form of subliminal messaging to activate sleeper agents to spread the virus?
And then there was that freaky guy in a gas mask that Jennifer Goines saw at the end of episode 2 when she was being held captive by the bad guys. It's easy to miss, but if you pause it, you'll catch a glimpse of this guy in the shadows. Who or what was that?

Feel free to post your views.

Comments

• Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    It has potential, but all time travel shows should be careful of continuity. On the plus, Cassandra Railly is nice eye candy. ;-)

I do also wonder whether The Witness is something else (rather than Human); or if not, then a Time Traveler himself, trying to create yet another future.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread was being used for US pace but hasn't been posted in for a few weeks.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right. So I just watched Episode 6 "The Red Forest". A solid episode. Railly's kidnapping and subsequent killing led to an alternate reality being created over in 2043. So it was up to our unfriendly neighbourhood time-traveller Cole to undo the mess and save Railly in order to return to his original reality. I have to say, I laughed when Railly's ex-boyfriend shot Cole's other self :D. Time-travel can be a laugh.

Additionally, we caught more close-up glimpses of the freaky guy in the gas mask, who is dubbed "The Witness" as mentioned by Flash525. Looks like he's the Big Bad behind the Army of the 12 Monkeys, the guy doesn't seem human to me :o. I do think he could be another time-traveller with his own mission.
    I really liked the part of the episode where Railly starts hallucinating the red forest and the Witness, I found it very eerie and haunting. Would love to know what on earth is going on though :p. Why is she so important to the 12 Monkeys? Her first name "Cassandra" might be a clue. Maybe she has subconscious knowledge of various timelines for whatever reason that the Witness wants to unlock and acquire for his own ends?

Anyway, good stuff. Looking forward to the next episode very shortly.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got up to episode 5 but am finding it a bit too much of a chore at the moment.

Things are a bit too messy to understand what is going on. I don't need things sign posting but I would like to have some idea that the show has a direction rather than making it up as it goes along.

Time travel shows work best when they've been planned out properly.

I'll carry on with it but may have to watch it in one go when the season finishes.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm.

So, to cover up its illegal goings on and to silence the Snowden-style whistleblower, the CIA decided to go with an OTT assassination plan involving the illegal use of a insanely deadly bioweapon, rather than send in SEALs or use a drone... only to end up having to use a drone anyway after it was pointed out how insanely risky it was to have used such a virus.

What kind of idiot would have come up with such a plan?

And of course we know that Cole will have splintered at the last second, and we know that there will still be more of the virus out there somewhere for the 12 Monkeys to acquire...
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how many more jumps does Cole have before he dies I wonder?

He's already getting nosebleeds each time he jumps and used up three jumps in the latest episode alone.

His next jump will no doubt be the 1987 one and he'll probably have one or two jumps in each of the remaining episodes of Season 1.

So by the end of the season he'll probably have jumped something like 10 - 20 times since Jones told him he had a limited amount of jumps left.

Are they planning for Cole to die at the end of this season as I Don't think they would have introduced the idea of a limited amount of jumps so early on in the show if they were planning on Cole still jumping in Seasons 2, 3, 4 etc.
  • Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    So how many more jumps does Cole have before he dies I wonder?

He's already getting nosebleeds each time he jumps and used up three jumps in the latest episode alone.

His next jump will no doubt be the 1987 one and he'll probably have one or two jumps in each of the remaining episodes of Season 1.

So by the end of the season he'll probably have jumped something like 10 - 20 times since Jones told him he had a limited amount of jumps left.

Are they planning for Cole to die at the end of this season as I Don't think they would have introduced the idea of a limited amount of jumps so early on in the show if they were planning on Cole still jumping in Seasons 2, 3, 4 etc.

I think Cole will end up staying permanently in Cassie's timeline to avoid dying from jumping back and forth, and then maybe Ramse will start jumping and act as a go between for the past and future teams
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    And of course we know that Cole will have splintered at the last second, and we know that there will still be more of the virus out there somewhere for the 12 Monkeys to acquire...

So you think this will differ totally from the movie? And the 12 monkeys are a group actually interested in the virus?

Remember the whole ironice point of the 12 monkeys in the movie is that they where just an animal liberation group and they set some animals free from the zoo.

To have the 12 monkeys now be the actual group who release the virus would be a massive shift.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    So you think this will differ totally from the movie? And the 12 monkeys are a group actually interested in the virus?

Remember the whole ironice point of the 12 monkeys in the movie is that they where just an animal liberation group and they set some animals free from the zoo.

To have the 12 monkeys now be the actual group who release the virus would be a massive shift.

Isn't that the paradox?

They future team created the Army of the 12 Monkeys by trying to find them in the first place just because of a name they found.
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't that the paradox?

They future team created the Army of the 12 Monkeys by trying to find them in the first place just because of a name they found.
    I think I know for sure now what the big paradox is in this.

In the scenes in the night room when Cole got close to the human remains that were the origins of the virus he got bad head pains.

This was because he was standing so close to himself!

Cole is the original origin of the virus, it was his remains!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

In the scenes in the night room when Cole got close to the human remains that were the origins of the virus he got bad head pains.

Yes that would make sense and be a good idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it's already clear that the TV series has undergone this "massive shift".

In the film, there was *one* person who wanted to use the virus to wipe out humanity, one lone nut, while the "Army of the 12 Monkeys" were just a bunch of animal rights protesters led by Goines' son.

In the TV series, it has already been clearly shown that there is actually a full-on conspiracy, with a sinister group behind the efforts to acquire the virus and use it to wipe out humanity, a sinister group called the Army of the 12 Monkeys.

The series is already quite radically different from the film in that regard and in others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yup, I think that's probably going to be the case. It's an obvious twist.
    Forum Member

Yup, I think that's probably going to be the case. It's an obvious twist.
    My concern is that this paradox is too obvious. If they plan to stretch the series out for more than one season, it's a bit daft of them(?) to hint/reveal the origin of the virus in the first series, no?

Those remains have also been torched now (in the past-present anyway). Furthermore, how would someone who is immune to the virus be the cause of it? I wouldn't half be surprised if that scene was intended to get people speculating this way, and that the headache was a mere side effect of time jumping.

Then again, even if this is the case, couldn't it all change? This is a show about time travel and paradoxes after all. :p
  • jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,054
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    My concern is that this paradox is too obvious. If they plan to stretch the series out for more than one season, it's a bit daft of them(?) to hint/reveal the origin of the virus in the first series, no?

I think it'll be revealed sooner rather than later, as they seem to be moving the story along quite quickly - plus they're already discussing Cole not having many jumps left.

Maybe most of this will be wrapped up in this season, with Season 2 (if there is one) launching into a whole new story.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Furthermore, how would someone who is immune to the virus be the cause of it?

He could be an asymptomatic carrier - like "Typhoid Mary" was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I think we learned in this episode that the CIA actually stands for the Central Incompetence Agency :D. Totally agree with Matt D's post. Surely they would've sent in a special forces unit or a drone to deal with the Edward Snowden reject?
    Not even the CIA would be stupid enough to unleash such a deadly virus, just to kill ONE lone traitor. All feels a bit shoehorned in and contrived.
    Forum Member
    I think it'll be revealed sooner rather than later, as they seem to be moving the story along quite quickly - plus they're already discussing Cole not having many jumps left.
    We know he doesn't have many jumps left, but then we don't know how many jumps he's had either. He could have jumped 10, 20, 50 times before we first saw him, and "not many jumps left" could be any number of jumps. We've never been told how many jumps the average person can take.
    Maybe most of this will be wrapped up in this season, with Season 2 (if there is one) launching into a whole new story.
    If they're going down a new route, and with a different story, then what's the point of the story - if that makes sense.

The current plot is to stop a virus that will destroy a vast majority of humankind, and in turn resetting the future (or rather, resetting the past so that the future turns out differently). Right? So if the virus situation is all figured out, they've got the future that they've always wanted. If a new threat comes about, they're still going to have a different (virus free) future. Where's the endgame?

This is why time travel shows don't always work out as they could/should; there's not enough forethought into the elements of changing time. The future that Kol accidentally visited where his mate was in charge, how do we know that isn't suppose to be the 'true' future? By definition, they could forever be jumping through time trying to create paradise, when paradise is never going to exist. There needs to be an endgame.
    He could be an asymptomatic carrier - like "Typhoid Mary" was.
    Hmm. True.
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Not even the CIA would be stupid enough to unleash such a deadly virus, just to kill ONE lone traitor. All feels a bit shoehorned in and contrived.
    We will probably soon find out that the CIA intended for the virus to get out elsewhere, they (or rather, an organization from within) just used this guy as an initiation tool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We will probably soon find out that the CIA intended for the virus to get out elsewhere, they (or rather, an organization from within) just used this guy as an initiation tool.

That would be a good twist and would certainly explain why the CIA were so keen on using the virus for Operation Troy. There has to be more to this storyline.

I also thought it was interesting that the Snowden wannabe seemed to know about the 12 Monkeys, maybe the real reason he left the CIA is because he knew the 12 Monkeys infiltrated the agency?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Well, I think we learned in this episode that the CIA actually stands for the Central Incompetence Agency :D. Totally agree with Matt D's post. Surely they would've sent in a special forces unit or a drone to deal with the Edward Snowden reject?

Yup.

Oh sure, they thought that it would be OK because it kills in a few hours and so nobody would make it to a populated area in time to infect more... but they clearly didn't consider that the Chechens would radio for help, which was surely an obvious possibility?

Why on earth use such a *deadly* virus? Utter madness, no matter how desperate they were to silence the whistleblower.

Hell, if a drone or other airstrike was not feasible as a first option, due to risk of angering Russia, and sending in special forces was also a no no, why not just stick a BOMB in the briefcase, given that they had compromised the courier anyway? Better a bomb than a doomsday virus!
  • jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,054
    Forum Member
    If they're going down a new route, and with a different story, then what's the point of the story - if that makes sense.

The current plot is to stop a virus that will destroy a vast majority of humankind, and in turn resetting the future (or rather, resetting the past so that the future turns out differently). Right? So if the virus situation is all figured out, they've got the future that they've always wanted. If a new threat comes about, they're still going to have a different (virus free) future. Where's the endgame?

I've no idea.

:D

I just figured that as it hasn't been renewed yet (AFAIK), they would have planned at least some resolution to aspects of the current story.

I can't imagine it being able to stick with 'we must stop the virus' for 3-4 seasons, they're going to need to develop it somehow, I suspect it'll be something to do with that red forest figure (The Witness?)
    Forum Member
    I just figured that as it hasn't been renewed yet (AFAIK), they would have planned at least some resolution to aspects of the current story.

I can't imagine it being able to stick with 'we must stop the virus' for 3-4 seasons, they're going to need to develop it somehow, I suspect it'll be something to do with that red forest figure (The Witness?)
    I think you're more optimistic than I.

I'm half expecting this series to be another LOST; at least in the sense that they'll plan each series out, shoot and produce them, and there will be no definite ending. That's one of the problems with time travel shows; there's always the potential to go back (or forward) in time (again) and undo whatever has been done to change the timeline in the first place.

In this show, it's Kol's mission to go back and stop a virus to make a better future, yet by doing so, for all anybody knows, that may make an even worse future. Truth be told, nobody knows what the future is suppose to be, and if they're forever changing it depending on what they change in the past, then which future is the prime/true one?

Baffling stuff.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In this show, it's Kol's mission to go back and stop a virus to make a better future, yet by doing so, for all anybody knows, that may make an even worse future.
    Yes nobody can know FOR SURE, but methinks it is a safe bet that a future where no virus was released that killed (what was it 99%) of the population, well it would be preferable to one where that virus was released. Though, granted, step forward another 100 or so years and (if some kinda scale existed) THAT virus+100 time could be 'better' than novirus+100 time. So the future people using the machine could be seen as being selfish and, tyranical is probably the wrong word, but if they do 'fix' things then all those babies conceived and then born since the virus was released, would no longer exist so what right do those machine -users have to remove those beings from existence ? Guess they're playing the numbers game and concluding a world without those billions of deaths MUST be preferable to one with the deaths.

btw, when you next get a splinter, do you immediately try to remove it or think "hey, maybe the future stemming from me leaving that piece of wood inside me will be better than the one in which I removed it" and then leave it in you ? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In this show, it's Kol's mission to go back and stop a virus to make a better future, yet by doing so, for all anybody knows, that may make an even worse future. Truth be told, nobody knows what the future is suppose to be, and if they're forever changing it depending on what they change in the past, then which future is the prime/true one?

Baffling stuff.

Forgive my pedantry, but it's Cole not Kol.
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Yes nobody can know FOR SURE, but methinks it is a safe bet that a future where no virus was released that killed (what was it 99%) of the population, well it would be preferable to one where that virus was released
    Except here's the paradox (of sorts). If Cole gets rid of that virus, then the future he came from (and all of those characters) will no longer be accessible to us; that future, Cole's future is one where the virus is held responsible. If he destroys the virus, that future ceases to be. Does that mean Cole would cease to be also? By the very definition, that's how it should play out. All Cole's friends back in the future (in addition to the storyline with the marauders or whatever) would evidently become pointless.
    zwixxx wrote: »
    btw, when you next get a splinter, do you immediately try to remove it or think "hey, maybe the future stemming from me leaving that piece of wood inside me will be better than the one in which I removed it" and then leave it in you ?
    If it irritates me, it's coming out. :p By removing it, that automatically presents me with a better future. ;)
    Forgive my pedantry, but it's Cole not Kol.
    I've been watching The Originals too, there's a character in that called Kol; the two names are similar.