Doctor Who Series 7 Episode 12: The Crimson Horror 04/05/2013 BBC1 6:30pm

Comments

• afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    I have never understood this either. Bad is quite clearly worse than poor. I assume people who really hate the episode vote bad because they understand the English language, but as a visual device the poll therefore doesn't work as well.

I just ignore whatever poll options they've chosen to include this week and regard the 5 choices thus:

10 - 9
    8 - 7
    6 - 5
    4 - 3
    2 - 1
  • digicamdigicam Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started to write a long message but got fed up. So here is the stripped down version.

Great episode, Great series.

Hacked off with all the moaning. Why keep watching it if you think it's so awful?
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    I voted Good, because it was.

Something's got to be as good as The Family of Blood for me to give an Excellent.
  • GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's two good episodes Gatiss has written in the space of one series! I really enjoyed that.
  • lucy777lucy777 Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Renna wrote: »
    Not sure about the episode, maybe I need to watch it again. I do love Clara though! Sassy and cool, and Jenna-Louise Coleman does seem quite charming in real life. There seems to be some negativity about her but I think she is a class act. Best addition to the show for some time.

Too sassy & too cool though. Had high hopes but not working for me. Missing Amy :o
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very happy with this week's. In fact, it's a bloody relief to finally feel like I've genuinely been entertained by an episode of Doctor Who!! Possibly Gatiss's best episode so far.
  • billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    The woman playing her daughter is her daughter in real life.

Yes (though the moves the character Jenny made were a homage too). I saw Rachael Stirling in the part her mother did in the film "Theatre of blood" on stage at the National and she was very good as well as being the spitting image of her.
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    lucy777 wrote: »
    Too sassy & too cool though. Had high hopes but not working for me. Missing Amy :o

She needs to dial down the smug. Someone should tell the producers that's never an attractive character trait.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1etch wrote: »
    Enjoyed that episode tonight, started off doctor lite but Strax, Vastra and Jenny made up for it.
    FYI I can see why Vastra is with Jenny. DAT LEATHER!!!!

Clara looks totally different in her modern present day get-up. Much sexier. The highlighted hair was a highlight lol

Clara in London? Guess this is more evidence supporting the Multi Clara theory..I take it there is another one running around London in the late 1800s somewhere as shown by the picture.

Only downside, the kids being on the next episode. Was bad enough with Jackie and co from the rose years but do we really need 12 year olds on the TARDIS? That is what Sarah Jane Adventures was for.

That was Clara from The Snowman, the Doctor has been looking at that picture for a while.

Excellent episode, (some laughs but not too many) and decent pacing.
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huh? I said Jenny > Clara, that means Jenny is better than Clara :confused:

ignore me i wasnt concentrating! glad someone agree
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digicam wrote: »
    I started to write a long message but got fed up. So here is the stripped down version.

Great episode, Great series.

Hacked off with all the moaning. Why keep watching it if you think it's so awful?

maybe because we hope it will get better
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the episode - Diana Rigg playing a Bond villian...Gah...just realised...it was basically the plot of Moonraker...Strax...DRAX!!!!!(OK maybe that is a bit of a stretch - however...)

Drax in Moonraker had the ' Black Orchid' which he was going to spread over the earth to kill everyone and replace with his people.

Good horror film references in it and a good villian's death too.

Also, nice to see the Dr being shown that the sonic screwdriver isn't always needed...that was a definite running gag in the episode.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weakest of the series for me.

A weak story and some very hammy, cringeworthy acting combined with some poor effects work (quite a chidish episode as well). I've quite enjoyed the last few episodes...but not this one.

(although regardless of my opinion on this episode, I hope not being up against BGT will give the ratings for this episode a slight boost)
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe because we hope it will get better

That was the reason I kept watching Series 2. - it didn't (imo).

Loving Series 7.
  • billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afcbfan wrote: »
    I just ignore whatever poll options they've chosen to include this week and regard the 5 choices thus:

10 - 9
    8 - 7
    6 - 5
    4 - 3
    2 - 1

Fair enough but in my opinion that's where you get the ambiguity. Anyway I tend to vote excellent just to balance out these lower scores as my way of indicating my support for the show in general. As long as the top three poll ratings are well into the 60s I am happy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vistra, Vistra, Vistra, Vistra!!!!
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I must be going mad or something...I liked this episode don't get me wrong, but for me it didn't pick up until The Doctor and Clara joined in. Ada was a decent character but Gillyflower was never really explained (was she just psychotic?). Strax and Vastra underused, Jenny overused. That said, I always enjoy Matt and Jenna and I loved the final scene (I literally yelled out loud when she was shown a picture of Victorian Clara). All in all it was a good ep but nothing special IMHO and probably the worst of 7b so far and the worst since Mercy. I wouldn't put this episode in the same league as Asylum or even as last weeks but then to each their own :D
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent apart from the random Tom Tom joke *cringe*
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    I think I must be going mad or something...I liked this episode don't get me wrong, but for me it didn't pick up until The Doctor and Clara joined in. Ada was a decent character but Gillyflower was never really explained (was she just psychotic?).

I reckoned she was a religious loon (the type who think the world is ending and commit suicide etc) and Mr Sweet just manipulated that to leech off her
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    Drax in Moonraker had the ' Black Orchid' which he was going to spread over the earth to kill everyone and replace with his people.

Now that was a good couple of episodes of Dr Who, no alien either, I wish that just once there wasn't an alien in an episode these days.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also worth noting that Gatiss didn't dilute the horror with an overly happy love related resolution. There are some writers who no doubt would have ended the episode with mother and daughter reuniting and the power of their bond destroying the Leech and the rocket...you know it could've happened. And it would've ruined it. Instead a deliciously dark ending for Gillyflower which fitted perfectly.

I couldn't agree more. It was great seeing the baddies destroyed instead of them turning good through the power of love (yuk).

Loved Ada. I wish there was a possibility of her being a companion.

Gatiss' best, for me.
    gilesb wrote: »
    Excellent apart from the random Tom Tom joke *cringe*

I didn't like this joke, either. Too forced and not funny.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Another huge alien event for Victorian London to fail to document...

If that rocket had been around a few years later they could've launched it at a 20ft Cyberman! :D
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't agree more. It was great seeing the badddies destroyed instead of them turning good through the power of love (yuk).

Loved Ada. I wish there was a possibility of her being a companion.

Gatiss' best, for me.

I didn't like this joke, either. Too forced and not funny.

I agree possibly Gatiss as his best.

I did like that joke.

Preferred Strax vs Horse though. I was in stitches.

WB by the way!
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't understand the screaming Aussie reference
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    I didn't understand the screaming Aussie reference

Fifth Doctor companion Tegan.