Is 'Gone With the Wind' a film worth watching?

124»

Comments

• Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I'm puzzled why anyone would think she was anything other than selfish. It never occurred to me to think anything else. Perhaps if you have read the book you see all the facets to her character (selfishness/self-preservation being central). I certainly don't think she was meant to be likeable.

I think for some they wanted to see her and identified with her as being a strong woman and so saw it as an act of self-preservation rather than just selfishness.

As everyone was on hard times, I didn't buy that and just saw her as selfish all the way through: From the start with all the men throwing themselves at her. To marrying someone for the money. Right to playing Rhett for all she could, stringing him along. So glad he saw straight through her and the only way to treat that type is not to give a damn!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    It was filmed when people lived a very black or white existence which i don't agree with personally i think there are areas of grey and katie hopkins should be banned from films.
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah! So you saw her as selfish as well! I thought I was the only one.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of sensitive people watching this magnificent film, only saw what was the true image of Scarlett.

Saying that, she was someone caught up up in the oppressiveness of what was going on around her. She had to survive, which I think is why she became so self-obsessed.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think for some they wanted to see her and identified with her as being a strong woman and so saw it as an act of self-preservation rather than just selfishness.

As everyone was on hard times, I didn't buy that and just saw her as selfish all the way through: From the start with all the men throwing themselves at her. To marrying someone for the money. Right to playing Rhett for all she could, stringing him along. So glad he saw straight through her and the only way to treat that type is not to give a damn!

I see selfishness and self preservation as being different interpretations of the same trait. She was strong too, strong willed and selfish. Had she been weak she would have crumbled. But her strength was only to benefit herself. The fact she saved other people on the way was entirely coincidental. Rhett saw through her from the start but his mistake was to think he would be the exception in her life. He wasn't.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    I see selfishness and self preservation as being different interpretations of the same trait. She was strong too, strong willed and selfish. Had she been weak she would have crumbled. But her strength was only to benefit herself. The fact she saved other people on the way was entirely coincidental. Rhett saw through her from the start but his mistake was to think he would be the exception in her life. He wasn't.

Yes, I think it depends on whether someone see her self-preservation as a complete excuse for her selfish actions. Others in the film certainly made sure that they were all right, but go to the levels of selfishness that Scarlet did.

Take syrupy Melanie She worked hard in the hospital, but that seemed beneath Scarlet.

The only one I liked was Belle Watling: Whilst again she was running a seedy business and so looking after herself, she selflessly gave money and didn't want recognition for it or to make a scene at the party.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I think it depends on whether someone see her self-preservation as a complete excuse for her selfish actions. Others in the film certainly made sure that they were all right, but go to the levels of selfishness that Scarlet did.

Take syrupy Melanie She worked hard in the hospital, but that seemed beneath Scarlet.

The only one I liked was Belle Watling: Whilst again she was running a seedy business and so looking after herself, she selflessly gave money and didn't want recognition for it or to make a scene at the party.

I love Belle too. She's even better in the book.

Scarlett is a dreadful human being but makes for a wonderful character in a story!

Similar, as I said earlier in the thread, to Catherine Earnshaw. Another selfish, destructive character but fascinating too.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    That's another one that deserves to be seen in its original Cinerama format (extra-wide curved screen with three projectors). On a TV, it's not quite so interesting to watch, especially in extreme letterbox format.

(It used to be shown at the Bradford Film Festival most years, but this year's has been cancelled.)

Thank you for that suggestion. I never attended a screening in that format, but I'll keep an eye out for an opportunity. Even if it's a film I don't like. :D
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Belle too. She's even better in the book.

Scarlett is a dreadful human being but makes for a wonderful character in a story!

Similar, as I said earlier in the thread, to Catherine Earnshaw. Another selfish, destructive character but fascinating too.

They're practically angelic when comparing with Beatrice Lacey from Phillippa Gregory's Wildacre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am the OP.

Some people are assuming that I'm not passionate about old, classic movies, just because I pointed out I had a short attention span.

Hi there! To be honest I didn't even notice that part of your post - my comment was a purely general one aimed at anyone reading, not just you. So it's cool. I have a short attention span too so I totally get it. :)
  • heart break kidheart break kid Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I am the OP.

Some people are assuming that I'm not passionate about old, classic movies, just because I pointed out I had a short attention span.

Just to clarify - I am extremely passionate. The Wizard of Oz, Cascablanca and Singin' in the Rain are up there in my top 10 all time favourite movies, and I will love and cherish those films, among others, as long as I live.

I do have some faint knowledge of the plot, and obviously I've heard of Rhett and Scarlett. I've just never found the opportunity to watch it. But I've decided I'm going to purchase the DVD (£4.40 on Amazon - extremely reasonable) and give it a go :)

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses :)

The 70th anniversary 2 disc collectors edition blu ray is only £7 and the picture quality is stunning on a high end TV. Well worth the extra money imo and the second disc has some great features and documentaries.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually my favourite movie of all time. I have watched it (sometimes twice a day when I was really young) since the age of 7 in several different languages and I still love it just the same. I know it makes me sound a tad crazy, but I also read the novel and although the film has left many characters and events out the casting (with the horrible exception of Ashley Wilkes) and the adaptation is just perfect.

Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara does some of the best acting I have ever seen on screen from a woman.

Watch it!!!!