Cinema Quiet

1235»

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Gregg's would never charge £6 for anything they sell.

I have no idea where I saw it then. I certainly saw hot Dog for £6.

Ah, I remember, it just came to me, it is a strange cafe, that thinks they are a bit posher than they are and they got Hotdogs for £6.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I've looked at HD projectors but prefer at the moment to use a screen, cost is not an issue

He had the room built for it as well, like a extension. I know his wife was not happy with the amount it all cost, but she uses it as much as he does. He only had a Blu-ray player on it at first, but now he decided to stick a Ps3 on it and use Netflix. Looks pretty good to be honest.
    Sound is amazing, but then it should be, that cost nearly a grand in itself.

Out of my price range and also I do not have the space. I may at some point get a lager TV, but not while the plasma is still working.

The main problem with projectors is that they can be noisy when they get hot due to the fan. he mounted his on the ceiling in a box and made a vent to go outside from the box. Result one nice and quiet projector.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    That is the thing that I have noticed in very small screening rooms in cinemas - that you can hear either the fan on the digital projector or the air conditioning. It's not terribly noisy, and okay - I can live with it - but it is there.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    yes indeed, sounds like a great little set up.

but an imax with 3D surround sound it aint... :D

Our setup is for mainly family then friends, good company makes up for 'imax' experience. :)
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've already mentioned my last cinema visit (Skyfall), which was spoiled by noisy cinema goers. Another cinema visit sticks in my mind.........

I went to see Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, and I was really looking forward to it because I was already a fan of the books by Patrick O'Brian. There weren't many people at the screening, but it was absolutely ruined for me by the majority of them. They were mostly teenagers, I think, and they weren't interested in the film. I think they were expecting some sort of Pirates of the Caribbean type film. Whatever the case, they made a right racket throughout the film.

A real shame for me, because I don't suppose it'll ever be shown at a cinema anywhere near here again, and I think it's a cracking film that gets better with each re-watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I was sure i saw £6 on their window. I will not touch canned or vacumme packed sausages. I never liked them when I was a child and I hate them more now.
    Just had a another look and their breakfast sausage looks normal and they say freasly cooked.
    Not that I will buy one, I prefer to go round to the local butcher and get one there.

You'll be hard pushed to find 'fresh made' hot dog sausages (which we were talking about), even in Germany a good proportion of sausage will be canned or vacuum packed.

Your best option would be to make your own 'standard' sausage, the gear needed is cheap enough to buy...make your own bacon too. I'm back in the UK in a few days for a few months and will be making both :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll be hard pushed to find 'fresh made' hot dog sausages (which we were talking about), even in Germany a good proportion of sausage will be canned or vacuum packed.

Your best option would be to make your own 'standard' sausage, the gear needed is cheap enough to buy...make your own bacon too. I'm back in the UK in a few days for a few months and will be making both :)

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/coffee-shop-kings-brits-prefer-115445123.html
    Worth looking at, I'm sure you'll constructive comments to make.
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This news just in...cinemas sell overpriced snacks.

Film at 11.....

Havent cinemas ALWAYS sold annoying movie nibbles?

Quite interesting thread about the impact of the loss of Orange Wednesday, which got me into the flicks once a week.

But anyway, lets compare our Weiners....
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the cinema and go on Super Saver Tuesdays when it's only £3.99 or later in the week, early performance, for a pound more. For that I get a huge screen, very comfortable and spacious seating and wrap-around sound. The last film I saw was Still Alice and there were quite a few singles there, proving that you don't have to have someone to go to the cinema with.

It was a lovely experience (and great film). I avoid busy times (Fridays / Saturdays - unless it's the £1.75 Kids A.M performance) and go during the day when I'm not working.

I have never had problems with teenage louts / phones / noisy crisps or the like. Oh just once, with someone yakking on their phone in the front seat but she soon left. Being a multi-plex she was probably screen-hopping.

I'm a film buff and I want to see new films sooner rather than later. I've always loved the cinema: I even worked part-time as a cinema usherette in my youth and it was one of my favourite jobs!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    I have an unlimited card so I'm always at the cinema. Watching at home on DVD doesn't come close to watching it on the big screen. £16.40 a month, well worth it.

Most films that have just come out are a little busy. I seen Run All Night the day it came out to and there was probably 40 people there. When I see Big Hero 6 the day after it came out, the cinema was packed full.

I don't notice many people talking at the cinema either.
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the cinema and go on Super Saver Tuesdays when it's only £3.99 or later in the week, early performance, for a pound more. For that I get a huge screen, very comfortable and spacious seating and wrap-around sound. The last film I saw was Still Alice and there were quite a few singles there, proving that you don't have to have someone to go to the cinema with.

Ruddy hell, a cinema in 2015 charging only £3.99???!!!

Here in London a cinema ticket plus small popcorn rarely gives you any change from a bar of gold bullion. The only place I ever went to that was cheap in the capital was Peckham Rye cinema, which I foolishly went to when I first got here in 2005 - it was about £5 if I recall correctly.

I saw Batman Begins and Wolf Creek there, before reading about someone getting shot dead one evening just outside the entrance. That level of excitement was too rich for my blood and I stopped going. I didn't quite realise how bad Peckham Rye was - I somehow wasn't alerted by the vandal-proof glass screen at the counter of the local KFC.
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    The cheapest I've paid for a cinema ticket in recent years was £2.60, at Cineworld Wood Green (North London) back in 2009. It was on a Monday afternoon and they used to bring back old films in the day for extremely low prices, something they sadly don't do anymore.

At the Empire in Slough, just outside London, their Saver Day Tuesday price is £3.60 - I saw 'Predestination' there a few weeks back and the cost of actually geting to Slough plus the ticket was still cheaper than just buying one at my local!
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,371
    Forum Member
    I have to say, in my own personal experience, that snack prices don't bother me as I don't eat them, and we live 5 mins walk from a multiplex so could easily go see movies post 12am (we're night owls) when only much quieter customers were there, so didn't experience any issues there...

Where I have experienced LOTS of issues, issues that have totally put me off going to said multiplex, is either in the actual picture and sound quality and/or the cleanliness of the building (coke spilt all over the floor, popcorn stuck to everything, don't even get me started on the toilets!).

I live in London so luckily have options; am now sticking to the fantastic Prince Charles Cinema and the Everyman chain. They employ people who love cinema, attract customers who love cinema, and get the importance of having top quality picture & sound in a comfortable, clean environment!

I actually adore going to the cinema and (controversially) don't think it's expensive comparatively for what you get out of it (the price of going to the theatre is far, far higher), but what is ridiculous is paying the amount you do to watch a film that keeps stopping every 3 minutes, is so loud it's causes you temporary deafness, whilst sat on a sticky seat covered in days-old sweets and crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yeah I can do that at the moment, I can stand for ages waiting for sausage coming out of a sausage machine, not.
    I did think about it once to be honest I have used a sausage machine before, but it was a long long time ago, when I used to work in a hotel and we made our own.

Bacon I do not like, but I love the smell,

You say about making your own, which is ok if you are home, but if you are out and feel hungry a nice Sausage sarnie or bap, plugs the gap.

There is a butcher close to our Tesco that does some nice sausage baps, once I get taste back I will have one.
    I am going to do a lot of things once my taste comes back.

Have a burger from a local market store as they smell great
    Have a sausage bap from the butchers again.
    Go and celebrate my 50th year on this planet, even if it will be a few weeks late
    Go into the beer in hand and get some decent beer down me which I will be able to taste.
    Go into spoons with a few more friends and have a meal and a few pints there.
    Simple things, but oh so looking forward to it.
    Be another 10 weeks or so, but it is something to look forward to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know whats happened to the "Take 2" night the cinema done? Used to have one every week now there hasn't been one for months.
  • FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    Mr__T wrote: »
    Does anyone know whats happened to the "Take 2" night the cinema done? Used to have one every week now there hasn't been one for months.

They've stopped doing them.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    For anyone wanting cheap tickets - Odeon still do Senior Screen for early morning Wednesdays and Thursdays - at 11:00 AM. It's on at most of their cinemas. They usually show a film a couple of months old(e.g. this week it's Foxcatcher and Unbroken). The ticket price is around £3.00.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've looked at HD projectors but prefer at the moment to use a screen, cost is not an issue

It may not be an issue for you but I reckon if I gave up going to the cinema and saved the money I would have spent until I could afford a big enough house to have a huge screen and projection system it would take me around 1000 years.

Maybe that's why in this part of the world the cinemas always seem busy. Your mileage may vary but in London it's cheaper to pay for a lot of cinema tickets than buy a new house.