Options

Most disturbing movie scene you've ever witnessed.

Comments

• Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    I don't really watch any of those shocking type films. But 2 scenes that were pretty uncomfortable are:
    -In This is England a character called Milky gets beaten to death by what was one of his mates. It comes out of nowhere and is awful.
    -The arm cutting scene in 127 Hours

Milky didnt die, but yes it was a bad beating and very shocking.
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    The dinner scene in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

The panning shots, the close up's of the eye, the atmosphere, the low budget filming and sound effects, and Marilyn Burns realistic performance. Brilliantly disturbing and memorable scene.

That's one if the first horror films I saw on video..I was born 1969 so was probably only just 12/13 when I saw it. .just remember the meat hook and the grandpa trying to hit her with a hammer. .
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing you don't mean the one starring Elisha Cuthbert?

Ha ha. Definitely not...
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Not really a horror film..but bothered me..Billy connoly in the debt collector when he kicks the young lad flipper to death.

Wolf creek. .all of it after they have been drugged.

Scum the rape

the sheer nonchalance of any deaths in films based on the Holocaust. .
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several here I agree with, although many that shock just for the sake of it are just nauseating rather than disturbing, e.g. the end of A Serbian Film.

Cannibal holocaust obviously deserves mention (as others have noted) not just for the genuine scenes of animals being killed and eaten (especially the turtle...ugh) but where the main characters are killed at the end feels equally realistic (to the point where the film's director was taken to court and had to, rather laughably, bring in his cast of actors to prove he hadn't killed them for real!)

Other scenes which have stayed lodged in my memory are the dog transformation scene in The Thing, the Nazis burning a church full of people in Come and See, a human/animal hybrid in a hospital bed in O Lucky Man, the sick mutant baby in Eraserhead, the "belly button" scene in The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, the uncomfortably long rape scene in Straw Dogs, an eye being sliced by a razor blade in Un Chien Andalou.

And (dis-)honourable mention has to go to Dusan Makavejev's little known and utterly bizarre Sweet Movie, which not only features a scene where a mostly naked woman appears to be attempting to seduce some pre-teen boys but also a stomach-churning debauched dinner party where the guests end up vomiting all over the table, culminating in what can only be described as two guys engaging in a shitting contest.
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Several here I agree with, although many that shock just for the sake of it are just nauseating rather than disturbing, e.g. the end of A Serbian Film.

Cannibal holocaust obviously deserves mention (as others have noted) not just for the genuine scenes of animals being killed and eaten (especially the turtle...ugh) but where the main characters are killed at the end feels equally realistic (to the point where the film's director was taken to court and had to, rather laughably, bring in his cast of actors to prove he hadn't killed them for real!)

Other scenes which have stayed lodged in my memory are the dog transformation scene in The Thing, the Nazis burning a church full of people in Come and See, a human/animal hybrid in a hospital bed in O Lucky Man, the sick mutant baby in Eraserhead, the "belly button" scene in The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, the uncomfortably long rape scene in Straw Dogs, an eye being sliced by a razor blade in Un Chien Andalou.

And (dis-)honourable mention has to go to Dusan Makavejev's little known and utterly bizarre Sweet Movie, which not only features a scene where a mostly naked woman appears to be attempting to seduce some pre-teen boys but also a stomach-churning debauched dinner party where the guests end up vomiting all over the table, culminating in what can only be described as two guys engaging in a shitting contest.
    Thanks for bringing back countless disturbing film memories!:D

Eraserhead/Serbian Film I already mentioned - but The Cook The Thief... has many disturbing parts; not least the end where Michael Gambon's character has to eat the man he murdered.

Sweet Movie - the less said about that the better. I will never understand how that ever got accepted for any kind of release.

I've often been tempted to get Cannibal Holocaust on DVD just to see what the fuss is about.

Martyrs has a prolonged torture scene where a woman is repeatedly and graphically beaten by a man. Along with 'Inside', it was part of that French 'no-holds barred' movement which I find utterly vile.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A scene which I saw in a film whose name I don't recall. A youth gets drunk in a nightclub. He starts drop-kicking glasses around while drinking. A bouncer punches him in the stomach and he vomits. The bouncer drags him outside and shoves his head in a bin, yelling, 'There's where you puke, you b**tard!' before throwing him on the ground and repeatedly kicking him, while the youth pleads, 'Stop! Stop!' A sequence a little later shows the youth, black and blue, in a coma in hospital. This shook me up because it looked much rawer and more realistic than most other violent scenes on TV or in films. I saw this on Channel Four, in autumn 1982, soon after the channel began. I think the film may have been made-for-TV, but as I said, I cannot recall its title.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A scene which I saw in a film whose name I don't recall. A youth gets drunk in a nightclub. He starts drop-kicking glasses around while drinking. A bouncer punches him in the stomach and he vomits. The bouncer drags him outside and shoves his head in a bin, yelling, 'There's where you puke, you b**tard!' before throwing him on the ground and repeatedly kicking him, while the youth pleads, 'Stop! Stop!' A sequence a little later shows the youth, black and blue, in a coma in hospital. This shook me up because it looked much rawer and more realistic than most other violent scenes on TV or in films. I saw this on Channel Four, in autumn 1982, soon after the channel began. I think the film may have been made-for-TV, but as I said, I cannot recall its title.
    Don't know the film I'm afraid, but most of my childhood nightmares can be attributed to watching late-night Channel 4 experimental 'films' and shockers that I watched without permission.
  • Options
    cobaye22cobaye22 Posts: 1,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    As a child in the late 80s I remember watching three films which I can't recall the names of.

One was where a young boy wakes up on a sunny morning in an empty house somewhere on the US coast I think, bounds outside to the beach to go looking for his parents or carers. The camera pans away and indeed he does find them, buried in the sand up to their heads near the incoming sea, and very dead. So, so bizarre.

What a vivid description. I tried to identify this film using google (disturbing, I know).
    The closest match was Creepshow but I don't think it's the one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two more spring to mind:

Anyone remember that 80s horror/drama 'Paperhouse'? Almost always shown on Channel 4 (another one!), this was based on a book where a girl dreamed about a house she had drawn, and any changes she made to the drawing appeared in subsequent dreams. There is an awful scene near the end where the girl's father takes her away in the dream, and violently beats her on the chest.

Also, going back to 'This is England', I found the prolonged kissing scene between the boy and teenage girl unsettling. Although in real life I think they were of similar age, it really did look like a woman passionately kissing a small boy.
  • Options
    AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I must be quite morbid as I want to see a lot of these films now, just out of curiosity!

Although well known now, I've always thought the Scene in Silence of the Lambs where Anthony Hopkins is eating the victim's brains when he is still awake, whilst nonchalantly sipping his chianti, was quite disturbing.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anthony Hopkins never ate anyones brains 'Silence of
    The Lambs'. You are thinking of the scene with Ray Liotta
    from 'Hannibal'. Trust me, I just watched the two films!
    (Actually I watched the terrible 'Red Dragon' too, but to
    make up for that, I also watched the vastly superior film
    of 'Manhunter'!)
  • Options
    PercyBysshePercyBysshe Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Real horse slaughter in Maitresse.
  • Options
    AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    timebug wrote: »
    Anthony Hopkins never ate anyones brains 'Silence of
    The Lambs'. You are thinking of the scene with Ray Liotta
    from 'Hannibal'. Trust me, I just watched the two films!

I looked it up and you're right, my memory must be playing tricks. Still pretty disturbing nonetheless!
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antichrist had a few 'wince' moments, including ejaculating blood after having his testicles crushed and snipping of her clitoris with scissors.

Although it was a bit too 'arty' for my liking.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AJonesSCFC wrote:'I looked it up and you're right, my memory must be playing tricks. Still pretty disturbing nonetheless! '

I know the feeling! I wasn't trying to be a smarta*se or anything, but as I said I watched all of the Lecter films just last week (so much for rivetting TV progs eh?) so it was all fresh in my mind! And yes, weirdly disturbing, and effective. More so than the bulk of the slasher type horror films,IMO!
  • Options
    spiderbootsspiderboots Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I don't watch a lot of horror films but when I do I can at least think it's not real, no one actually suffered so watching 12 Years A Slave was horrible knowing that the violence that I was watching actually represented the horrific time people had. That film stuck with me for a long time.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much all of Eraserhead. Disturbingly weird.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From a child angle a couple of personal examples, the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was scary to many sixties/seventies kids.
    Also I can remember in the musical Oliver there is an implied scene where Bill Sykes beats Nancy to death. Obviously not on camera but the implication made an impression on me as a kid.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.

I'd also nominate the arms/ice experiment in the continually sickening Men Behind the Sun, arguably the pinnacle of feel-bad cinema.

Yeah that was horrific - the film stuck in my head for months as it all actually happened.

edit - forgot about the frog mask scene in 'The Abominable Dr Phibes'...
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    From a child angle a couple of personal examples, the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was scary to many sixties/seventies kids.
    Also I can remember in the musical Oliver there is an implied scene where Bill Sykes beats Nancy to death. Obviously not on camera but the implication made an impression on me as a kid.
    The child catcher still creeps me out, I used to have nightmares about him when I was a kid. Taught me a valuable lesson about accepting sweets off strangers though :)
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The orgy scene in Society remains the weirdest thing I've ever watched.

The rape scene in Irreversible was one of the hardest things to sit through.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the frog mask scene in 'The Abominable Dr Phibes'...

In the context of a film that was generally humorous, that was actually a pretty grim scene.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Road. Keeping live people in the basement for meat. It didn't show much but the general dystopian feel and atmosphere was enough.
  • Options
    AnonandonAnonandon Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Vix77 wrote: »
    The child catcher still creeps me out, I used to have nightmares about him when I was a kid. Taught me a valuable lesson about accepting sweets off strangers though :)
    "..........SWEETIES.......LOLLIPOPS!":o