Options

Interstellar blu ray

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
Forum Member
✭✭
I struggled with this when I watched it on the big screen last year. Found it very long, bum numbing, and could not reconcile the family drama and sci fi spectacle aspects of the film at all. But...there was enough there to make me think that a second viewing may help.

To wit, I picked up the US blu ray at the weekend on import and watched the movie again. And I'm happy to report that even though it's still a flawed movie, it most definitely benefits from a second viewing, and seems to hold together and seem much more coherent.

One thing that is definitely in it's favour is the sound mix - this time round you can actually hear all of the dialogue (and you always have the subtitle option anyway), as it has been remixed for home cinema. And it's a doozy of a surround track, with a potentially sub-woofer exploding bass track. Naturally, picture quality is stunning.

Plus it has a comprehensive raft of extras, a wealth of making of docs that cover every aspect of the movie from inception to aftermath, and they really are worth watching because you learn much more about the filmmakers intentions, the science of the concept, the story ideas, and of course the fascinating technical aspects (far less cgi used than you would expect).

If you liked the film it's a no brainer, and you will not be disappointed, but even if you were not sure, I would say it's definitely worth a second chance with this blu ray

Comments

• Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks very much for this. We were going to watch it in 3D at the cinema but never managed it so I've been wondering about the blu-ray. I admit I was worried about the reports of the length. At least with a blu-ray you can pause it and have a break
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Thanks very much for this. We were going to watch it in 3D at the cinema but never managed it so I've been wondering about the blu-ray. I admit I was worried about the reports of the length. At least with a blu-ray you can pause it and have a break

Have you made a mistake? I don't think Interstellar was in the cinema in 3D. At my cinema and one in town the only option was 2D.

Phenomenal movie, though. Loved it.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interstellar was never in 3D. Nolan does not do 3D films...
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have ordered the digibook edition, which is out next week.
    I saw it at the cinema and although I enjoyed it, I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped.
    Not as good as The Prestige or Inception IMO, but it was still good.
    The score is fabulous.
    I had planned to buy it after watching it, but was going to wait till it was much cheaper. But I'm a sucker for special editions.
    Besides, looking forward to another viewing now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even on the home viewing I watched it in two sittings, and that seemed to work well. It is almost 3 hours long, and I do have a habit of nodding off when it gets to around 9 - 10pm.

I also appreciated the music more second time round. But beware...it plays pretty much continuously during the extras. Fine if you like it, but if not...
  • Options
    Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interstellar was IMAX at the cinema. I found it a bit too long for my liking, I would have preferred a 2 hour cut.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lawro2 wrote: »
    Interstellar was IMAX at the cinema. I found it a bit too long for my liking, I would have preferred a 2 hour cut.

The second time I saw Interstellar was at the BFI IMAX in London (*the* IMAX).

Awesome experience, although the sound mix issues were more apparent than with the 35mm film version I saw first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent, detailed review of the blu ray disc here -

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/67378/interstellar/
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wanted to watch this at the cinema but I was put off by the three hour run time. However, I watched it the other night and thought it was quite brilliant.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was an interesting movie and some interesting ideas.

Great soundtrack. Surely this movie is miles better than what Gravity was?
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't notice any difference in sound mixing quality. The only issue I had in the cinema and still had watching it again on blu ray was a certain Michael Cain scene. Subtitles had to go on.