People that pull their handbrake up through the ratchet, press the button in!!!

Mikes MikeMikes Mike Posts: 1,822
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why can't people push the button in on their handbrake when they pull it up! It's so annoying. People stopping at the traffic lights or pull up to park and 'crunch'. Don't people know you can damage the handbrake mechanism with this laziness.

One thing that really annoys me!

Comments

• HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll continue to do this I think. I certainly don't mind

The cars had it anyway
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,830
    Forum Member
    On some modern cars you are not supposed to press the button when applying the handbrake.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Mikes Mike wrote: »
    Why can't people push the button in on their handbrake when they pull it up! It's so annoying. People stopping at the traffic lights or pull up to park and 'crunch'. Don't people know you can damage the handbrake mechanism with this laziness.

Well that's the thing... my car manual says not to hold the button in.

I do anyway though because I thought the same as you. I'm a bit confused as to what I'm supposed to do tbh!
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,830
    Forum Member
    It is a strange thing to get annoyed about either way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    prett certain my manual says dont push the button in as you apply the handbrake :)
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    prett certain my manual says dont push the button in as you apply the handbrake :)

Mine says that too. I learned to drive during the 80s in a Nissan and the instructor always told me off for not holding the button in, so I guess things must have changed since then.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    It is a strange thing to get annoyed about either way.

My driving instructor got really annoyed if I pulled the handbrake up without pressing the button. In fact he shouted at me really angrily once... So it's clearly a major issue for some people.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its so unimportant to me, I don't have a clue how I pull my handbrake up.. nor anyone else who's car I travel in.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i was taught only to press the button to release it. the driving instructor told me so i'd rather go with his advice than some random on a messageboard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question already answered
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    kizzie wrote: »
    its so unimportant to me, I don't have a clue how I pull my handbrake up.. nor anyone else who's car I travel in.
    Do you tend to find yourself chasing after cars down hills if you don't know how to pull a handbrake up? :p
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Praxidike wrote: »
    Do you tend to find yourself chasing after cars down hills if you don't know how to pull a handbrake up? :p

Hahaha.. :D
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's sad to see them damaging their car that way but what I find more annoying is people who can't close their car doors quietly. That's damaging their car and I can hear it inside my house. I've never owned a car where it's been necessary to slam the door. Most can be gently closed as long as you maintain momentum and push them all the way with your fingers.
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My handbrake is operated with your foot and doesn't even have a button to push :cry:
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    It's sad to see them damaging their car that way but what I find more annoying is people who can't close their car doors quietly. That's damaging their car and I can hear it inside my house. I've never owned a car where it's been necessary to slam the door. Most can be gently closed as long as you maintain momentum and push them all the way with your fingers.

More fun to slam the door though.
  • mr.ianmr.ian Posts: 4,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The button is for releasing the handbrake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    My driving instructor got really annoyed if I pulled the handbrake up without pressing the button. In fact he shouted at me really angrily once... So it's clearly a major issue for some people.
    My instructor said to push the button in because it will annoy the examiner on the test if he has to hear it clicking all day :D
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't give a rat's arse about any car I've ever had but I have never ever had a problemwith a handbrake through mis-use. I do quite like the idea that there might be someone who I'm annoying out there that I am totally oblivious of. Nice quirk OP.
  • TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the car, some manufacturers recommend that you hold the button in, some don't. Wasn't there a case on BBC Watchdog lately about the need to use the ratchet to ensure the hand brake was correctly engaged?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    You're actually supposed to let the pawl ride the teeth - if you press the button in and release, you can (rarely) accidentally leave the ratchet pawl holding on to the top of a tooth without you being aware. This can then slip off when you're not in the car. Letting the ratchet spring pull the finger back in prevents this.
    There have been many instances of this happening, which is why most car manufacturers will tell you explicitly not to press the button when engaging the handbrake - the mechanism is designed for it over the life of the car!
  • ScratchplateScratchplate Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tess-g wrote: »
    My handbrake is operated with your foot and doesn't even have a button to push :cry:

Not my foot it isn't. :D
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Road rage :D if something as minor as that gets you wound up, you need to watch your health and blood pressure :rolleyes:

Its a metal ratchet, just how can letting it 'ratchet' :D damage it?
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not my foot it isn't. :D
    Well, no......as you'd have to be sat on my lap that would be a bit over familiar ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    You're actually supposed to let the pawl ride the teeth - if you press the button in and release, you can (rarely) accidentally leave the ratchet pawl holding on to the top of a tooth without you being aware. This can then slip off when you're not in the car. Letting the ratchet spring pull the finger back in prevents this.
    There have been many instances of this happening, which is why most car manufacturers will tell you explicitly not to press the button when engaging the handbrake - the mechanism is designed for it over the life of the car!

correctamundo :)
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually pull it most of the way with the button up but then let it have one more click. Then again it's kind of irrelevant now because for the last three years my car has been an automatic. I never thought I'd 'stoop that low' but the first time I drove one in the US changed my mind. It wasn't the ease of driving over there - it was coming back and having to force my left foot to use the clutch. Then I drove a Honda Jazz with its CVT and that was that. All the advantages of an auto without the stupid gear hunting and weird selection choices and with a proper clutch rather than a torque convertor.

Unfortunately they've removed the CVT option now. Stupid sods. I'd have replaced it last year if they still had that option.