Beheading scene cut from Robot of Sherwood

123457»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    That beheading seems to be acceptable, but the other one wasn't? no idea why, 2 robots lose their heads, one 'dies' the one we see, the other doesn't, I have no idea why the scene was taken out, it added to the story and was no way disrespectful, well, perhaps to robots ;)

Two key points -

1. It's an (apparent) beheading of a human.
    2. Clara cheers!

The first beheading (if I remember correctly) was the mechanical's cross-laser ricocheting about the room. Effectively self-inflicted, and they don't make a great song and dance about it. The second beheading is deliberate, with a sword, and presented as something heroic - it's a triumphant beheading. Which absolutely is inappropriate, given recent events - and actually, I think it's wrong for Doctor Who anyway. I think it was a mistake even in April when they filmed it - Sheriff of Nottingham is not a nice bloke, but I don't think the Doctor and his companion would restrain him as Robin Hood slices his head off, and I don't think Clara would squeal "Brilliant!" as his head rolled across the floor.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it as "Brilliant" in a sort of "Oh no, that's all we need" way rather than a "wow, that's great" way
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoscaper wrote: »
    The cut scene is here if you want to watch it. They cut out a good chunk of the scene.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25djbb_the-beheading-scene-cut-from-dw-s08e03_shortfilms

I suppose they wanted to avoid people sitting there and going "eh!" then having a laugh at an obvious bit of fiction when the decapitated head started talking.

Mind you talking heads, minus body, is not something new in Doctor Who.
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Dailymotion video been taken down now.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    Dailymotion video been taken down now.
    It's still there for me. :confused:
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just watched the cut scene, it was best to leave it out. There might have been playground copycats chopping their schoolmates heads off and then trying to talk to them.
    Seriously though, it was swift and comic in that he was an android still talking while disembodied.
    Hardly something comparable with the terrible events in the news.