Hw much did you pay for your 'main event' Christmas dinner meat

GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We are having Goose, picked it up today. Nice big 6.5lb'er, free range and organic from a butchers in the next town over. Cost £45.

It is more than we would normally spend on meal for a meal of course, but Christmas only come once a year and hopefully it will be scrummy!

Just interested in what other people are having for their main meat and how much they paid for it.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Turkey crown. £11. Sorted!
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Small turkey crown for H, 15.00, pork loin 14.00. sirloin of beef 45.00, gammon 15.00....
  • simon40simon40 Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ordered a fresh taste the difference, free range (Sainsbury's) Norfolk Black Turkey it weighs just over 6kg and cost £58! :eek:

We also have a ham joint (£10) and i bought a Rib of Beef for New years day (£16).

We usually have a frozen supermarket Turkey but decided to splash out and treat ourselve this Christmas.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    12lb turkey for 36 euro.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon40 wrote: »
    I ordered a fresh taste the difference, free range (Sainsbury's) Norfolk Black Turkey it weighs just over 6kg and cost £58! :eek:

We also have a ham joint (£10) and i bought a Rib of Beef for New years day (£16).

We usually have a frozen supermarket Turkey but decided to splash out and treat ourselve this Christmas.

We did too, we usually have a couple of ducks that are about £6 each.

I forgot about the ham. I think that was about £8 as we got it when they were on half price and stuck it in the freezer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are having lunch out, but as we like to have turkey left for sandwiches and Boxing Day, I bought a small Turkey crown (a Norfolk Bronze one from Sainsburys) today. It cost me £15
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only 2 of us and being a big beef fan, I bought a veal rib roast - £28. We also have a huge gammon from the local butcher which will be cooked tomorrow and eaten for the next 10 years :mad::D
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Iceland Goose breast joint £10 Iceland.
    Iceland Gammon joint £6.
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rib of beef £36 - yummy :)
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey crown £9.99 ready stuffed too.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a Kelly Bronze turkey crown. £61. It had better be good.....
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a frozen turkey from Tescos. It cost me £20
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickign up my 15lb turkey today - should be somewhere in the region of £35-£40
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, I shocked at the price of turkeys and such like, I had no idea! :o
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing! My husband's boss is very old fashioned and gives all his employees a turkey for Christmas.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me (on my own - and happy with it):

£3.50

Venison steak from local butchers. probably a bit more steak than ideal for one meal but it was that or too small. Might keep a little for a bambi butty.

Marinade it in soy sauce and olive oil with added flavours. Three minutes each side on a blazing griddle. Honey roast parsnips, Portabello mushrooms and roast shallots on the side.

Fru Key Lime Pie to follow - likely with some Port and Stilton, when I say 'likely' put the mortgage on it.

Sumptuous:cool:
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,632
    Forum Member
    £11.99 for a caramelised onion and pork stuffed guinea fowl - Sainsbury's Taste The Difference.

There's only two of us this year so a turkey would have been too big and unmanagable, and neither of us are huge fans anyway.

I've bought a gammon to cook too - £10 from Asda. Am going to do the Nigella thing and boil it in cola before baking it with cloves and black treacle :)
  • AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been to Tescos and picked up a nice can of Luncheon meat for 59p and a tin of burgers in onion gravy for 82p. :) I can't wait for my Christmas Dinner! YUM! :D
    Forum Member
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Nothing! My husband's boss is very old fashioned and gives all his employees a turkey for Christmas.

Sweet!
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    Might keep a little for a bambi butty.

:D:D:D:D:D:o
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just been to Tescos and picked up a nice can of Luncheon meat for 59p and a tin of burgers in onion gravy for 82p. :) I can't wait for my Christmas Dinner! YUM! :D

Surely you could have pushed the boat out and stretched to Spam as it's a special day?:confused::p
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fillet of beef, £10
  • AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely you could have pushed the boat out and stretched to Spam as it's a special day?:confused::p

No, to me Beef Burgers from a can are special. :)
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been to the butchers to collect the meat.

£35 for a turkey crown, £22 for a gammon, and £12 for chipolatas!
  • 80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    £18.00 for a turkey from M&S