@hotmail.co.uk Email Sign Up

Hi Guys,

I’m trying to create a new email account on Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail), in the following style – myname@hotmail.co.uk.

However, the only domain options I seem to be getting are:
- @outlook.com
- @hotmail.com

I cannot get an option for a - @hotmail.co.uk domain account.

I understand that Hotmail has been replaced by Outlook, however if you can still get @hotmail.com address, then you should be able to get a @hotmail.co.uk address in theory.

I’ve checked my location is set to ‘United Kingdom’ and my language is set to ‘English-UK’ on the sign up page but I still cannot get the option to sign up for an @hotmail.co.uk account.

I’m probably overlooking something really simple but I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong and thought I’d ask people on the forum here.

So does anyone know how to get a ‘@hotmail.co.uk’ account?

Comments

• pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think you can. Microsoft are looking to get everyone on to Outlook.com eventually, so making it hotmail.com only for now is a stop gap. Eventually it will be Outlook.com no matter how much you don't want to.

Even when setting up Windows 8 in UK settings, it asks you to sign up to a new Microsoft account and only gives Outlook.com or Hotmail.com options. If you use any other country apart from the UK or USA it changes to an Outlook.(whatever) address only, no Hotmail option.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Don't think you can. Microsoft are looking to get everyone on to Outlook.com eventually, so making it hotmail.com only for now is a stop gap. Eventually it will be Outlook.com no matter how much you don't want to.

Even when setting up Windows 8 in UK settings, it asks you to sign up to a new Microsoft account and only gives Outlook.com or Hotmail.com options. If you use any other country apart from the UK or USA it changes to an Outlook.(whatever) address only, no Hotmail option.

I was worried that was the case.

Shame really... I prefer a .CO.UK to a .COM address... it's British and .COM is more American.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least going for an Outlook address gives you a chance of getting what you want without having to append it with full stops or numbers as it's a relively new domain.

Personally, I moved to GMX. Their e-mail is @gmx.whatever, and theres a multitude of country codes and possibilites to choose from, I was able to get a really short e-mail of paddy at gmx dot and a particular country code, but .com and .co.uk are available if you want. Almost guaranteed to get your e-mail address being just your first name @ domain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    At least going for an Outlook address gives you a chance of getting what you want without having to append it with full stops or numbers as it's a relively new domain.

Personally, I moved to GMX. Their e-mail is @gmx.whatever, and theres a multitude of country codes and possibilites to choose from, I was able to get a really short e-mail of paddy at gmx dot and a particular country code, but .com and .co.uk are available if you want. Almost guaranteed to get your e-mail address being just your first name @ domain.

I think Microsoft have shot themselves in the foot doing away with @HOTMAIL.CO.UK when @OUTLOOK.CO.UK isn't an option. Britain is now the 51st State in Microsoft's eyes with .COM options only.

Thanks for letting me know though. I was wondering what was going on when I couldn't get @HOTMAIL.CO.UK Look's like @LIVE.CO.UK option has gone as well :-(
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't touch Hotmail/Outlook. Security problems, adverts and no control of your emails if your password gets forgotten or hacked.

Pay for your own domain name and hosting. At most it will cost around £25 a year and comes with many extras. I use this company:
    http://www.betterwebspace.com/domains/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    Well how odd! I was also just trying to set up a hotmail.co.uk email account because I noticed a copy of my CV, which may well have made it online, had my name.surname@hotmail.co.uk instead of name_surname@hotmail.co.uk. So I decided the easiest thing would be to sign up for the second version as well rather than attempt to identify all the sites where an erroneous CV may be located.

The ironic thing is that when I took out the name_surname@hotmail.co.uk address, I had actually wanted a .com address but wasn't given that option. How blooming annoying!
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are doing this the wrong way as you can no longer create a new hotmail.co.uk account.

Select options in your outlook.com account and choose "manage or remove aliases" (or something like that). You can then add any email address from any provider including hotmail.co.uk. It will accept name_surname@hotmail.co.uk and send a verification to that address. It should appear in your outlook.com inbox even if you just invented it. Not sure what happens if you pick somebody else's real address. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    misar wrote: »
    You are doing this the wrong way as you can no longer create a new hotmail.co.uk account.

Select options in your outlook.com account and choose "manage or remove aliases" (or something like that). You can then add any email address from any provider including hotmail.co.uk. It will accept name_surname@hotmail.co.uk and send a verification to that address. It should appear in your outlook.com inbox even if you just invented it. Not sure what happens if you pick somebody else's real address. :)

What misar say's is correct.

If you've already got a Outlook.com (Hotmail) email account - go to Create New Alias in account settings, then you'll get 2 options:

- Add a new alias @outlook.com
    or
    - Add an existing account (any microsoft email address)

Choose the second option and then type out your desired email address in full, in the box. For example - myname@hotmail.co.uk. Then if the email address ISN'T currently being used (Not Already Registered to someone) it will automatically be added to your inbox.

Then simply make the new email address your Primary Alias in settings and you've got your myname@hotmail.co.uk as your main address. Your old email address will then become your second alias or you can just remove it - whichever you prefer.

If the account already exists, it won't work sadly and the verification code will be sent out to the person who owns the account (who will obviously decline it)

I'm not sure if this a loophole in Microsoft's account creation process or deliberate but in theory you might be able to get other classic Microsoft email domains as well as @hotmail.co.uk.

One's like-

- myname@msn.co.uk
    - myname@msn.com
    - myname@live.co.uk
    - myname@live.com
  • cuyocksolcuyocksol Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Blue_Diamond -

That's amazing! Three years on and this still works! Thanks to your "loophole" I just got my son a 'live.co.uk' address to match mine and his sister's! :-)
    The only thing was, although I'd added the 'fake' live.co.uk alias to his hotmail.com account then managed to make it primary, it didn't seem to become active until a mail had then been sent from the new account. Now it works perfectly!! So happy ...