A question about time travel

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
Forum Member
It's all very well saying that if it was possible to send somebody back in time, they could assassinate Hitler prevent the JFK assassination/911 and the attack on Pearl Harbour but what gives us mere mortals the right to interfere with the forces that control time?

Comments

• AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    It's all very well saying that if it was possible to send somebody back in time, they could assassinate Hitler prevent the JFK assassination/911 and the attack on Pearl Harbour but what gives us mere mortals the right to interfere with the forces that control time?

What forces are they you speak of?
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What forces control time? Is this a Dr Who thing?
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Hitler was assassinated but the world in which Goebbels was Fuhrer and Germany won the war was so horrific that in 2248 they sent someone back to kill Hitler's assassin and prevent Goebbels becoming Fuhrer
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another well thought out thread by motsy. Nice one
    :thumbsup
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hark, I hear the tiny flutter of butterfly's wings....
  • archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read quite an interesting article on the BBC website recently:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150216-the-truth-about-movie-time-travel

"Much as we love the idea of changing the past and erasing our mistakes – I’ve some deep regrets about a coat I bought in 2007 – it seems nothing including wormholes can take us back there."
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot change history, if you try and change it, and succeed, you would not have been sent back to change it in the first place, because the thing you changed would have never happened and you would have had no reason to be sent back to change it, therefore you would have never changed history and the original event would have occured.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are Malcolm Reed and I claim my £5!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are Malcolm Reed and I claim my £5!

bugger .. you beat me to it .. perhaps i can go back in time and post before you ? :)
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Personally, I think the whole "grandfather paradox" thing is over-rated.

I mean, if you go back in time and kill your grandfather, thus ensuring you weren't born, it'd mean you couldn't go back in time to kill him so you would end up getting born.

I figure that, maybe, the universe would just give everybody a "do-over" until they didn't do something which created a paradox.
    And, of course, you'd never know all those do-overs were happening because time would be re-written every time you screwed something up.

Just saying....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    While the assassination of Hitler might sound like a good idea my question meant what gives us the right to interfere with the flow of things?
    There're things that're better off left alone, no matter how unpleasant they are.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

If we had prevented the attack on Peal Harbour, it would have been far more difficult to win WW2 and we might have lost.
  • FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    What forces are they you speak of?

I think, for the more portentous questions of pith and moment such as good ol' Motsy's here, we need to recast your question to a more appropriate, "What are these forces of which you speak?"
    You cannot change history, if you try and change it, and succeed, you would not of been sent back to change it in the first place, because the thing you changed would of never happened and you would of had no reason to be sent back to change it, therefore you would of never changed history and the original event would of occured.

.....nnnngggg..... fighting OCD...... ngngngngngng....this is DS, don't be a grammar Nazi.... NO! Can't resist!

Have, have, have, have, have!!!

Aaaaah.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Personally, I think the whole "grandfather paradox" thing is over-rated.

I mean, if you go back in time and kill your grandfather, thus ensuring you weren't born, it'd mean you couldn't go back in time to kill him so you would end up getting born.

I figure that, maybe, the universe would just give everybody a "do-over" until they didn't do something which created a paradox.
    And, of course, you'd never know all those do-overs were happening because time would be re-written every time you screwed something up.

Just saying....

Great Scott!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flufan wrote: »
    I think, for the more portentous questions of pith and moment such as good ol' Motsy's here, we need to recast your question to a more appropriate, "What are these forces of which you speak?"

.....nnnngggg..... fighting OCD...... ngngngngngng....this is DS, don't be a grammar Nazi.... NO! Can't resist!

Aaaaah.

Not round these parts.:D
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flufan wrote: »

Aaaaah.

It's the new verb 'to of'.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Read Stephen King's 11/22/63 - it's a good story.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While the assassination of Hitler might sound like a good idea my question meant what gives us the right to interfere with the flow of things?
    There're things that're better off left alone, no matter how unpleasant they are.

Rights become meaningless once time travel exists. You go back in time and change history, not because it's your right, you do it simply because you can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cannot change history, if you try and change it, and succeed, you would not have been sent back to change it in the first place, because the thing you changed would have never happened and you would have had no reason to be sent back to change it, therefore you would have never changed history and the original event would have occured.

But you would only be aware of the timeline you're in, so once something changed it wouldn't need to be a closed loop of having you going back in the future, it would just be an alternate timeline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you would only be aware of the timeline you're in, so once something changed it wouldn't need to be a closed loop of having you going back in the future, it would just be an alternate timeline.

It depends on what theory you believe in.

Some say time in one constant, others say there can be many alterntaive times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on what theory you believe in.

Some say time in one constant, others say there can be many alterntaive times.

I'm talking hypothetically, if time travel was possible and you can change what was originally on your line, then I'm not sure how time as one constant could even accommodate that. (Then again I'm not super smart). :D
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's always the danger that trying to kill Hitler results in the Hitler we had and without time travellers trying to kill him he'd have stayed as a painter.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I've always just assumed that if someone went back 5 years in time, they'd just be 5 years younger and wouldn't even know they'd gone back in time because they hadn't reached the point in time when they went back in time.

... but I'm just a simple soul! :blush:
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always been fascinated by the theory of alternate universes. I think the whole 'Doc Brown' explanation is far closer to how it would be if it were possible so imo, if it were possible to go back in time, then the present wouldn't be altered at all.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Erm, i gotta get my brain into first gear, before i can let that sink in