Windows XP?

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Even standard hard rives have improved a lot in speed since 2002

Still not blazing fast though. HDD companies were basically just trying to squeeze as much performance as they could out of it.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    Such is the member turnover here, I don't recognise any posters from the first page.

My first computer to run XP managed...just...on 128mb ram and a Pentium MMX 200Mhz. By then it had been "upgraded" to a whopping 20GB hard drive.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This sort of thread does remind us that tech moves on and what was moaned at and cursed for being so big is now considered a slimline OS as it doesn't use much resources, in a decade we'll be laughing at windows 7 and thinking how the hell did we manage with such a daft operating system
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »
    Such is the member turnover here, I don't recognise any posters from the first page.

My first computer to run XP managed...just...on 128mb ram and a Pentium MMX 200Mhz. By then it had been "upgraded" to a whopping 20GB hard drive.

Bloody hell! A 200Mhz processor and 128MBs of RAM? I bet that ran well.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    ^ Not sure that retro's the right word. It is an old OS though. It seems so long ago when I first switched on that laptop that had XP on.

No, maybe not yet. It might be retro in another 5 years though :p I turned on my old XP desktop earlier to make sure it was working but I didn't use it. It's still working and I'm amazed that it still is. I was sure it would've snuffed it by now :D When that one snuffs it I might treat myself to a nice shiny 27" iMac :D
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member

Yes, it was just as cranky as you may imagine. It was a step up from the installed Windows 95, to ME, and then XP.

Good old Gateway 2000.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mad to think you can find 512MB of ram in a watch now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mad to think you can find 512MB of ram in a watch now

Even my phone has 768MB RAM! I bought my XP desktop in early 2003 and half a gig of RAM was considered high end then.
    Yes, it was just as cranky as you may imagine. It was a step up from the installed Windows 95, to ME, and then XP.

Good old Gateway 2000.

Ah yes, Windows ME. There's a reason it was called Mistake Edition :D Anyone remember the Gateway computer stores? Everything was cow-themed and you could use the computers in there and surf the then newfangled World Wide Web :D It was kinda like the late 90s equivalent of the Apple Store.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha my phone has 3GB of ram. I suspect that the same as the average home PC
  • Options
    Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member
    I might boot up my old XP desktop tomorrow just to see if it works and for a bit of retro fun after reading this thread :D Can't believe I'm calling XP retro, but that's how it feels to me now.

Someone told me the other day that he thought there were probably more XP operated machine in the wold at this moment than all others put together.
    Two questions :
    Is that true ?
    And if it is true how can XP be retro ? ! ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Someone told me the other day that he thought there were probably more XP operated machine in the wold at this moment than all others put together.
    Two questions :
    Is that true ?
    And if it is true how can XP be retro ? ! ?

I'm not sure, but I read somewhere a few months back that XP still had a slightly <30% market share. That was in the summer. I also know a few people still using it and they're refuseniks. Well XP's retro to me because I haven't used it for a long time and my family are Windows 7/8.1/OSX users now, but maybe it will become retro to the public in about 5-10 years time as old computers die out and people still running it have to upgrade or use an alternative OS.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to The Register, in Nov 2014 Windows 8.1 just overtook XP -

Windows 8.1 : 10.95%
    Windows 7 : 50.34%
    Windows XP : 10.69%

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12/02/windows_8_1_breaks_10_per_cent/
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

I had Windows 98 and 'upgraded' to ME. Now that was 'cranky'. Eventually I switched to Windows 2000 (frustratingly, had to re-install because ME wouldn't upgrade to 2000) instead which did sterling service until I needed XP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had Windows 98 and 'upgraded' to ME. Now that was 'cranky'. Eventually I switched to Windows 2000 (frustratingly, had to re-install because ME wouldn't upgrade to 2000) instead which did sterling service until I needed XP.

ME for me was personally alright and did the job fine and i gave it to the gaffers family along with a load of extra ram to upgrade their machine and it seemed to work for them

theres no way you could of done a ME to 2000 upgrade as they're totally different families under the hood so it would of had to be a backup data/overwrite/restore job
  • Options
    JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    grrrrrr:

would have, could have
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Its not the grammar forum is it ? Would of and could of while not grammatically correct are perfectly understandable in the context within which they were written.

I've seen far far worse on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Windows 2000 was a good stable OS but it took forever to boot up! You could go and make a cuppa while waiting for it to boot and it would be ready when you came back :D Brilliant OS though. As for Windows ME... I prefer to pretend that collection of bugs doesn't exist :D
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mine had a 100Mhz processor, 16MBs of RAM and a 1 gig hard drive. The swop file was busy :o

Oh, and cost me over £2k as I recall

Edit.. Memory not what it was, that was windows 95...
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    800Mhz, 128Mb RAM, 40GB drive, Win ME .... throw in a printer and separate scanner and it came to £1700+. It worked well for about 5 years once ME was replaced with Win98SE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was just looking in the computing section of my university library (mostly used by those studying IT/computer science, but I thought I'd have a look) and they had books on:

DOS for Dummies
    Windows 98 for Dummies
    Windows NT: The Next Generation (from 1993!)
    Windows NT 4.0 study guide
    Tune Up Windows 98
    Windows XP
    Macintosh-Windows integration (late 90s)
    Windows 2000
    Access 97
    Office 2000/XP
    An 8086 programming book from 1985
    Red Hat Linux (now defunct I believe)
    Mac OS X 10.0/10.1
    Norton SystemWorks 5.0
    FrontPage 2000

There were also various books of old programming languages and old versions of them. No Windows 7 or 8.x books at all. I can understand not having Vista as the college doesn't support it (because it's crap!) but surely they should have a Windows 7 or 8.x book? Who would be still using DOS or Windows NT 3.51 or 4.0?! :o I should hope that those studying computer science are studying more modern programming languages and operating systems and not ancient 1980s and 1990s ones that nobody uses any more :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just looking in the computing section of my university library (mostly used by those studying IT/computer science, but I thought I'd have a look) and they had books on:

DOS for Dummies
    Windows 98 for Dummies
    Windows NT: The Next Generation (from 1993!)
    Windows NT 4.0 study guide
    Tune Up Windows 98
    Windows XP
    Macintosh-Windows integration (late 90s)
    Windows 2000
    Access 97
    Office 2000/XP
    An 8086 programming book from 1985
    Red Hat Linux (now defunct I believe)
    Mac OS X 10.0/10.1
    Norton SystemWorks 5.0
    FrontPage 2000

There were also various books of old programming languages and old versions of them. No Windows 7 or 8.x books at all. I can understand not having Vista as the college doesn't support it (because it's crap!) but surely they should have a Windows 7 or 8.x book? Who would be still using DOS or Windows NT 3.51 or 4.0?! :o I should hope that those studying computer science are studying more modern programming languages and operating systems and not ancient 1980s and 1990s ones that nobody uses any more :D

I recently had a look at our local uni's computing books and there was stuff heading back to the 1970's such as describing multiple database systems for the IBM/360 mainframes :o i think these days theres so much online information theres less need for the more basic things to be in print
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    I recently had a look at our local uni's computing books and there was stuff heading back to the 1970's such as describing multiple database systems for the IBM/360 mainframes :o i think these days theres so much online information theres less need for the more basic things to be in print

That goes back even further :o I guess they have to keep a range of books on programing languages and stuff for people doing computer science but the old operating system and software ones are crazy! There's still enough books on more modern OSes around though. My dad has a book on Windows 8.1 and two on Windows 7. Whenever he learns a new OS he prefers buying a book to looking online. I guess it's just easier.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laugh that they were moaning about the Windows XP look back then, Same is happening now with the Windows 8.1 start screen.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laugh that they were moaning about the Windows XP look back then, Same is happening now with the Windows 8.1 start screen.
    The Start Screen is more to do with usability on a (non-touchscreen) desktop device rather than how it looks.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time for me to fess up and admit that I'm an XP user.
    It works fine for my purposes and is fast enough.
    There again I only replaced the CRT TV last year... :D