Eurosport HD

The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
Forum Member
Anyone heard anything about this? For us Motorsport lovers i think when they launch it will be the first time we get to see HD Motorsport.

Unless start broadcasting HD Indycar or the like. ITV are taking so long to even announce anything in regards to F1 HD!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been over a year and nothing has appeared plus it was a very vague statement to begin with making no mention of national variations ie British Eurosport as opposed to the more widespread variant.

As with all of the other "soft" HD prospects it is not even on my expectations list, too fluffy where as FXUK HD was slated as having a launch this year but looks like 2008 now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    eurosport need to master SD first, most of the programs look terrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Have they got widescreen yet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cliveuk wrote: »
    eurosport need to master SD first, most of the programs look terrible.

The channel/s do have a very favourable bitrate but one of the problems is their content/feeds are from some countries who have no concept of picture quality and digitally compressed source material at times can be woefully inadequate.
  • London EyeLondon Eye Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree that the picture quality on Eurosport is, at times, terrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I've been stuck in Belarus for the summer and luckily enough can get Eurosport here (albeit in Russian) and can't complain too much about PQ (especially compared to ITV). Most of the programming is fine so stop whinging about something you don't actually pay for!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    We do pay for it as it is part of the sky subscription.

Eurosport picture quality is one of the worst around. I actually wonder how they get way with it.

My wife wanted to watch WTA tennis this week but had to turn it off because the pictures were frankly unwatchable (even on good quality Plasma).

They need to get their act together.
  • hedgidjhedgidj Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can still get it free on Analogue Astra 1 in english (I think) and digital Astra 1 but not in English. If you are really in to Eurosport, though, it would cost to set it up and if you subscribe to Sky anyway, then I suppose it would be pointless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like eurosport :)
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Eurosport in HD? No chance of that in the next five years at least. They're still stuck in the 4:3 dark ages..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DanVitale wrote: »
    Eurosport in HD? No chance of that in the next five years at least. They're still stuck in the 4:3 dark ages..

To be fair they did go on record as intending to offer HD but we have to remember ES is not the same as ESUK and even if they broadcast HD they are still at the mercy of host broadcasters.

The poor SD images at times are the result of god awful host feeds which are very well presented by the high bitrate the channel uses.
  • Dear ViewerDear Viewer Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The frustrating bit about Eurosport is its broadcasting in 4:3 when another broadcaster is presenting the same event in 16:9. Current example is the World Athletics Championships.

Another popular example would be the Tour De France - ITV channels simulcast and/or show highlights in Widescreen.

GP2 is simulcast in widescreen on Setanta, highlights on ITV in the same format.

Australian Open Tennis was shown in widescreen on BBC interactive

Coming up in September they'll be broadcasting World Cup Rugby, which wil certainly get widescreen on ITV, as did the previous tournament, I think.

Yet Eurosport is still sticking to 4:3 for these and other events.
    Forum Member
    To be fair to Eurosport they will broadcast in scale of the host broadcaster.

As far as I know the norm in the States and Japan is 4:3. The US open is being shown in 16:9 but originates in 4:3. This could be the reason why Annabel Croft looks so stretched!;)

However, the image quality of Eurosport US Open Tennis is noticeably lower than on Sky.

To be honest I don't think Eurosport view image quality on HD panels as a priority. The same goes with ITV. They can get away with it at the moment as the majority of people have CRT TVs, so why bother
  • bluestrawbluestraw Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bfg20 wrote: »
    To be fair to Eurosport they will broadcast in scale of the host broadcaster.

As far as I know the norm in the States and Japan is 4:3. The US open is being shown in 16:9 but originates in 4:3. This could be the reason why Annabel Croft looks so stretched!;)
    Err, not quite sure what you mean here. Japan and US have more HD than anywhere else in the world - pretty much all primetime US shows are in HD, and much of the sport is too. The US Open tennis IS shown in HD over there!

As for the US Open being showin in 16:9, that's definitely wrong. It's flagged as 4:3 by Sky - you're only watching in 16:9 if you're using a 'stretch' mode on your telly!

And Eurosport definitely do NOT broadcast in the scale of the host broadcaster. They broadcast 4:3, regardless. If the host broadcast is 16:9 (e.g. BBC-sourced snooker, Aus Open tennis, French Open tennis to name 3), then they show it 4:3. They even sometimes get the aspect ratio slightly wrong and show a badly formatted 4:3 picture!
    Forum Member
    Ah yes. I can see what is happening now.

Even though the US Open is shown in SD, it is still pretty good reflecting its HD source.

My TV is showing everything in 16:9 regardless, hence the reason why I can't see the 4:3 pictures and Annabel Croft looks stretched!!
  • Frank FurtFrank Furt Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump. Looks like a simulcast of Eurosport in HD will start in May, but only for some Scandinavian and Mediterranean countries... no word yet on other markets.

Link in German only: http://www.dwdl.de/article/news_14990,00.html
  • Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Jarrak wrote: »
    we have to remember ES is not the same as ESUK

I think this is a key point, British Eurosport is different to the free to air Eurosport in the rest of Europe. It'll go HD eventually, but probably not anything to get too excited about quite yet.
  • shireshire Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Even in HD I don't think I could suffer that football commentator the speaks in fits and starts
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The frustrating bit about Eurosport is its broadcasting in 4:3 when another broadcaster is presenting the same event in 16:9. Current example is the World Athletics Championships.

That intrigues me. I was there last week and only saw TVE's cameras and they were only 4:3.

The BBC only had 16:9 for their single 'presenter' camera and all the rest of the coverage was 4:3.

The screens in the stadium were only showing 4:3 or at times a 16:9 stretched picture.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I think this is a key point, British Eurosport is different to the free to air Eurosport in the rest of Europe. It'll go HD eventually, but probably not anything to get too excited about quite yet.
    It's not true that its the rest of Europe either! Eurosport France is most definitely NOT FTA - and is part of the Canal+ empire. Similarly local variants are pay channels for other countries as well!
  • bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cabsat daily said to day that the launch is for the Roland Garros tennis matches - shame that they wont splurge on HD for the rest of their network.

H
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Just watching the tennis from Roland Garros on British Eurosport and saw an ad for Eurosport HD. Nothing more .. no channel number of details but it was on Sky 410.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I wonder whether we'll see it soon. You would have thought we would have heard rumours by now if it were close. Some pics of Eurosport HD here:
    http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/05/26/eurosport-hd-launches-right-on-time/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    dont suppose this is available on a channel we can manually tune to on our sky HD box. Guess it must be on another satellite. Wish i had a powered dish!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching the tennis from Roland Garros on British Eurosport and saw an ad for Eurosport HD. Nothing more .. no channel number of details but it was on Sky 410.
    Eurosport HD is available on other european platforms such as Canal Digital. Has been testing just prior to the tennis and will have HD coverage of the Tour de France.