Jobcentre Plus - Signing on...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
Forum Member
Hi everyone...
I'm due to sign on tomorrow for the first time since Christmas. Jobcentre is about 10 miles away and my part of the world is forecast to be dumped on (snow wise) overnight, about 10cm or so

My question is, what happens if I can't get there...? The house is at the top of a hill so the car is not an option, and if it's as much of the white stuff as they're saying the buses might not be around either.

Any advice or experience of this...?

Thanks everyone in advance
:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to phone a number if you can't make it in to sign, should be on the front of your packet thing that you need to take with you. However if you do have to phone up to excuse yourself as it were, make sure you get a confirmation about whether you will still recieve your payment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Thanks Mrs Buckley, I'll give them a call tomorrow.
  • GeorgemcneilGeorgemcneil Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call up your local office some one said they are offering a snow clearing service to utilise claimants.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In preparation, why don't you move your car tonight to the bottom of the hill in advance. Is that an option?

Nice that you can afford to run a car on benefits. I work full time and cannot justify the cost of a car.
    Forum Member
    eng123 wrote: »
    In preparation, why don't you move your car tonight to the bottom of the hill in advance. Is that an option?

Nice that you can afford to run a car on benefits. I work full time and cannot justify the cost of a car.

Not my car Eng...just one that I sometimes cadge a lift in, if I'm lucky
    Forum Member
    Call up your local office some one said they are offering a snow clearing service to utilise claimants.

:rolleyes:
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite easy to run a house and a car while on the dole :) just manage your money better if you can't or work harder
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    browncube wrote: »
    Quite easy to run a house and a car while on the dole :) just manage your money better if you can't or work harder

I must admit, I agree with this somewhat.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well they probably got the car before they were on the dole. No need to give it up just because you have to sign on. OP will have paid insurance and tax so might as well make use of it.
    Forum Member
    Sulriss wrote: »
    Well they probably got the car before they were on the dole. No need to give it up just because you have to sign on. OP will have paid insurance and tax so might as well make use of it.

I wish!

Had to give my car up :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    browncube wrote: »

It's not neccessarily that easy! Not when you have less money coming in than going out despite having the fewest bills possible
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not neccessarily that easy! Not when you have less money coming in than going out despite having the fewest bills possible

Minimum wage x 40 hours = £220 a week

Renting a room in a house (even here near London): £80 a week

One third of bills for that house: £40 a week, *tops*

A car is easily affordable then.

If people choose to have children, or choose to live in a bigger place, or choose to eat really nice food, or people chose to take out loans so they have debts to pay back - they are all choices which can be avoided to divert money elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Minimum wage x 40 hours = £220 a week

Renting a room in a house (even here near London): £80 a week

One third of bills for that house: £40 a week, *tops*

A car is easily affordable then.

If people choose to have children, or choose to live in a bigger place, or choose to eat really nice food, or people chose to take out loans so they have debts to pay back - they are all choices which can be avoided to divert money elsewhere.

the OP isnt on minimum wage working 40 hours a week though, he is claiming JSA, so it might not be as easy as you think for him to afford to run a car.

Much as it's presumably been a big and difficult decision for him to give up his car would you rather he lived beyond his means and his JSA money went towards unnecessary expenses?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the OP isnt on minimum wage working 40 hours a week though, he is claiming JSA, so it might not be as easy as you think for him to afford to run a car.

Much as it's presumably been a big and difficult decision for him to give up his car would you rather he lived beyond his means and his JSA money went towards unnecessary expenses?!

I was referring to this post:
  • mirandashellmirandashell Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway.....

OP, to answer your original question...
    On my last signing date, it was absolutely humping down with snow. So I called them up am hour before and asked if I could be excused from signing. They agreed and I did get my payment on the usual day.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So do I and neither can I - not because of the cost of running a car, but that I have a direct public transport link to where I work.

Others might not have as much income as me but CAN justify the cost of a car because they have no other options.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phone them up in the morning telling them of the snow, and you will get in when you can (hopefully later that day) chances are they might thrown & pant a bit, but they have targets to see so many people in a day, so they wont turn you down flat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I was referring to this post:

Apologies, I misunderstood.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It annoys me that I pay £13k tax a year BEFORE I take home any money and have no debt but yet by the time I have finished paying my own way, I cannot justify the cost of running a car, yet others who get state handouts can afford to run a car :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well i had to sgin on monday at 9.35am i lift him at 8am i didnt get in to town till 10am, normally takes 20min to get to town on bus

there was a 4 car pile up on the way in to town at 7.30am so that held the busses up while there sort that out and the road where bad with the snow aswell the bus was skidding aswell but i got there in the end i jsut said im sorry i am late and gave them my sgining in back sat down and waited for them to call my name there called my name and sgined on

so there ok with me being late becouse of the snow

there then callanced the busses at 11am so had to get taxie home
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not including people on ESA or incapacity benefit who genuinely can't work and do need transport.
  • v0idv0id Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i had to sgin on monday at 9.35am i lift him at 8am i didnt get in to town till 10am, normally takes 20min to get to town on bus

there was a 4 car pile up on the way in to town at 7.30am so that held the busses up while there sort that out and the road where bad with the snow aswell the bus was skidding aswell but i got there in the end i jsut said im sorry i am late and gave them my sgining in back sat down and waited for them to call my name there called my name and sgined on

so there ok with me being late becouse of the snow

there then callanced the busses at 11am so had to get taxie home

Did you enquire about a literacy course?
    You should be able to do one free while on benefits, they might even pay you extra + reimburse you any travel expenses.
  • 'Oaks Addict'Oaks Addict Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It annoys me that I pay £13k tax a year BEFORE I take home any money and have no debt but yet by the time I have finished paying my own way, I cannot justify the cost of running a car, yet others who get state handouts can afford to run a car :mad:

Well I was made redundant in February and had to go on Jobseekers. I NEEDED my car as I live in a tiny village and there's only one bus a day that wouldn't take me in to larger cities I might have a job interview for.

All I spent my job seekers on was my car in the months that followed as it was the only thing that helped me SEEK a JOB.

Look, before I was on JSA I used to think everyone on the dole were scroungers, but they're not. I've experienced it now. I'm only 21 but I've worked hard since I was 13 and in the following years when I paid tax - I paid enough to justify me being on JSA while I found another job.

Thankfully I have.

It's not actually that expensive to run a car. I only earn 10,000 a year (before tax) and I work 40 hours a week. I manage fine.
  • scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they run a limited service so its automatic
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    How long does it take for the money to turn up in your account after you sign on?
    Started signing before Christmas, no experience of new system.
    If this bleedin snow stops work will come back with a bit of luck, can't take much more of this.