Options

Fiber speed variations

sahisahi Posts: 185
Forum Member
We've had Sky Fiber at ours now for about 4/5 months. And things have been going pretty smoothly. Got it mainly to increase the speed of downloads, which has gone up significantly. Today I noticed something kind of strange though. While I was downloading an update for a game through the game itself I noticed that at it's peak it was downloading at just over 8mb/s, whereas when I've downloaded films for e.g. using a torrent client I've gotten just over 4 at the most. I'm guessing maybe this is due to the fact that the download for the game update was more direct, rather than possibly going through other parties which may be the case with torrent files. But I'm still surprised that the difference is so much. Anyone have any idea what the exact reason is?

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends on how much bandwidth is coming your way. The server you were connected to for the game update will have had enough bandwidth for your download speed whereas the upload bandwidth of the computers that you were connected to through the torrent client, theirs will have been a lot less. It's all about how much upload bandwidth/speed the computer/server you're connected to has.