Options

Racist trolls attack Leslie Jones on Twitter

Comments

• Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    tszujme wrote: »
    We aren't talking about the odd mean message, in some cases the targets have been send literally thousands of explicit death and rape threats, including threats to their families.

Besides tons of vulnerable young children can see it. How do you think non-white kids feel, seeing that anytime a non-white person gets success they are racially abused and told it's their fault for being in the public eye and that they should just lock themselves away and stop being a crybaby?

Um, so?
    If someone phoned you up to scream racial abuse at you or threaten to kill your family, would it be no big deal because it's just bits of data passing down a wire?

Ignoring racism is the same as condoning it, and that's how the Holocaust happened.

I feel actually bewildered now that someone has actually had the idea of bringing into this thread...............the holocaust.

Beyond words really. People just love to bring the Holocaust, Hitler and world wars into these types of debates. And i think people who do that are basically beyond reasoning, because how can anyone be reasonable that would suggest any comparison between the sadistic evil torture that millions of jews faced daily in concentration camps and the persecution that they were subject to.......and to people sitting behind a computer, tap, tap, tapping away a few insults aimed at strangers. :confused::confused::(

actually those comparisons make me feel sick.

And the only reason the Holocaust happened was because Hitler wanted to exterminate anyone that wasn't German. And exterminate them in the most wicked, evil way possible.

As far as I'm concerned, these are all just first world problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So school children being bullied on facebook and social media by their peers at school who killed themselves weren't being abused?
    I don't think any schoolchild will kill themselves over FB. To me, there would have to be many, many more underlining issues i.e. serious problems at home for one thing.

To actually be able to end your life when so young, to have the ability and want to be able to administer that to yourself must mean there are far deeper underlining issues than what is actually put out on the news report.

Besides, we're not talking about children, we're talking about grown ups here.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    I don't think any schoolchild will kill themselves over FB. To me, there would have to be many, many more underlining issues i.e. serious problems at home for one thing.

To actually be able to end your life when so young, to have the ability and want to be able to administer that to yourself must mean there are far deeper underlining issues than what is actually put out on the news report.

Besides, we're not talking about children, we're talking about grown ups here.

There have been cases of it happening Cas. They can't get away from their tormentors when out of school because of social media
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There have been cases of it happening Cas. They can't get away from their tormentors when out of school because of social media

I know it's happened, but I don't believe that it's the sole fault of bullying on FB that has made them end their lives. I would always believe that there were other factors as well.

Real life bullying in schools has also made kids take their own life, and again I believe that there must have been other factors to make them so desperate that they thought it was their only way out. And I speak from experience, due to myself having an absolute terrible time at school.

Obviously that would have been well before social media and the like, and it was all physical. And I was one of the lucky ones where i was able to fight back and beat them at their own game, although not everyone is going to be able to do that obviously, but that is why I'm so passionate about the subject of bullying and the fact that bullies understand only two things: either to turn the other cheek or to fight back in exactly the same way.

I know that you're not in agreement, but I cannot view online bullying as anything like as serious as real life bullying.

Although having said that, I do think however that online bullying aimed at children may have to be viewed differently to online bullying to adults. We, as adults would have to and should have to be able to deal with things differently than children are able to.
  • Options
    tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, WHY are you people so desperate to defend racism?? And place all the blame on victims of racism for refusing to ignore it?
    I feel actually bewildered now that someone has actually had the idea of bringing into this thread...............the holocaust.

Beyond words really. People just love to bring the Holocaust, Hitler and world wars into these types of debates. And i think people who do that are basically beyond reasoning, because how can anyone be reasonable that would suggest any comparison between the sadistic evil torture that millions of jews faced daily in concentration camps and the persecution that they were subject to.......and to people sitting behind a computer, tap, tap, tapping away a few insults aimed at strangers. :confused::confused::(

actually those comparisons make me feel sick.

And the only reason the Holocaust happened was because Hitler wanted to exterminate anyone that wasn't German. And exterminate them in the most wicked, evil way possible.

As far as I'm concerned, these are all just first world problems.

That is not remotely true and you badly need to educate yourself -- the Holocaust happened for a large variety of reasons, largely sparked by the Versailles Treaty and the rise of anti-Semitic propaganda and scapegoating and fearmongering that Hitler and the others in his party exacerbated and took advantage of.

Racial abuse is a first world problem, really? When black people, black kids are being killed on a daily basis?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Again, WHY are you people so desperate to defend racism?? And place all the blame on victims of racism for refusing to ignore it?

That is not remotely true and you badly need to educate yourself -- the Holocaust happened for a large variety of reasons, largely sparked by the Versailles Treaty and the rise of anti-Semitic propaganda and scapegoating and fearmongering that Hitler and the others in his party exacerbated and took advantage of.

Racial abuse is a first world problem, really? When black people, black kids are being killed on a daily basis?

Of course I understand that about the Holocaust, though considering this thread isn't remotely about the holocaust, it didn't seem appropriate to go into such detail with regards to it, hence why I didn't do that.

One thing is being a racist, and spouting racist talk, which of course is wrong. What I'm implying isn't that racist abuse is wrong, but everyone taking so seriously what some crazy people type into a little message box on bloody Twitter!

At the end of the day, we are all adults, and I just see the reactions to this kind of thing as a bit over the top tbh.

It's like the same when "death threats" are taken seriously on twitter! It's laughable to me. Some kid is probably typing that out to someone else saying "I'm going to kill you tomorrow" and it means nothing at all, yet some people are treating it as seriously as they would if someone had actually come up to them in person!

And no, I'm not placing blame on anyone. But surely when we're talking about a subject such as social media, then isn't that the obvious thing to do? i.e. ignore it or just don't use it? I mean, we're not talking about something that we actually need in our lives are we?

But of course, there is a point that why should anyone have to go off twitter due to some people saying nasty things, and for me, I don't think they should. What i think they should do is say stuff equally nasty back to the other person!

I can't combine the two here. One thing is racism and racial abuse and the other is just shit that people put out on twitter and Facebook.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I understand that about the Holocaust, though considering this thread isn't remotely about the holocaust, it didn't seem appropriate to go into such detail with regards to it, hence why I didn't do that.

One thing is being a racist, and spouting racist talk, which of course is wrong. What I'm implying isn't that racist abuse is wrong, but everyone taking so seriously what some crazy people type into a little message box on bloody Twitter!

At the end of the day, we are all adults, and I just see the reactions to this kind of thing as a bit over the top tbh.

It's like the same when "death threats" are taken seriously on twitter! It's laughable to me. Some kid is probably typing that out to someone else saying "I'm going to kill you tomorrow" and it means nothing at all, yet some people are treating it as seriously as they would if someone had actually come up to them in person!

And no, I'm not placing blame on anyone. But surely when we're talking about a subject such as social media, then isn't that the obvious thing to do? i.e. ignore it or just don't use it? I mean, we're not talking about something that we actually need in our lives are we?

But of course, there is a point that why should anyone have to go off twitter due to some people saying nasty things, and for me, I don't think they should. What i think they should do is say stuff equally nasty back to the other person!

I can't combine the two here. One thing is racism and racial abuse and the other is just shit that people put out on twitter and Facebook.

So, someone calling a 'dirty ni**er' in real life is racism. But someone saying the same online to someone is not racism? Is that what you're saying?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if someone phoned you to scream racial abuse and death threats at you, you wouldn't care because it's just soundwaves coming down a wire? You would happily accept that i was your fault for having a phone, and that it was your responsibility to get rid of your phone?

Please research the history of racial hate-based propaganda.
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's happened, but I don't believe that it's the sole fault of bullying on FB that has made them end their lives. I would always believe that there were other factors as well.

Real life bullying in schools has also made kids take their own life, and again I believe that there must have been other factors to make them so desperate that they thought it was their only way out. And I speak from experience, due to myself having an absolute terrible time at school.

Obviously that would have been well before social media and the like, and it was all physical. And I was one of the lucky ones where i was able to fight back and beat them at their own game, although not everyone is going to be able to do that obviously, but that is why I'm so passionate about the subject of bullying and the fact that bullies understand only two things: either to turn the other cheek or to fight back in exactly the same way.

I know that you're not in agreement, but I cannot view online bullying as anything like as serious as real life bullying.

Although having said that, I do think however that online bullying aimed at children may have to be viewed differently to online bullying to adults. We, as adults would have to and should have to be able to deal with things differently than children are able to.

But if you've been so badly bullied in "real life" Caz, then surely you can acknowledge the potential for bullying to be even worse these days? At least back in our day we only had to worry about "real life" bullying occurring in school grounds or outside the house (abuse in the home is another unfortunate matter).

These days, such school bullying is compounded by social media. So not only does the victim get bullied once they pass the school gates (or once they leave their front door to get to school), but they now get to endure a tonne of nastiness emanating at them from the screen in their bedroom (or from the mobile in their hand).

I'm so glad sites like Facebook weren't around when I was at school. The pathetically-small amount of self esteem that I had would've probably been non-existent!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, someone calling a 'dirty ni**er' in real life is racism. But someone saying the same online to someone is not racism? Is that what you're saying?
    Its far more 'in your face' when that would happen in real life and i daresay more intimidating as for one it wouldnt be anonymous, i could see who it is thats saying that and to respond would be absolutely necessary.

The same insults online i couldnt take as seriously
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But if you've been so badly bullied in "real life" Caz, then surely you can acknowledge the potential for bullying to be even worse these days? At least back in our day we only had to worry about "real life" bullying occurring in school grounds or outside the house (abuse in the home is another unfortunate matter).

These days, such school bullying is compounded by social media. So not only does the victim get bullied once they pass the school gates (or once they leave their front door to get to school), but they now get to endure a tonne of nastiness emanating at them from the screen in their bedroom (or from the mobile in their hand).

I'm so glad sites like Facebook weren't around when I was at school. The pathetically-small amount of self esteem that I had would've probably been non-existent!
    I hear what ure saying and obviously people of our age group arent going to have any idea of what school days are like right now. And i have already said that Fb affecting children is a different matter as they havent had the same life lessons yet as we have seeing as they are still just starting out in life....

That subject is deserving of its own thread i think!

This is purely me guessing now as really who knows how it would have been....but if Fb had been around in the 80s and 90s when i was at school, and i had the choice between online bullying and real life bullying then i can guess what i would have chosen.....
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its far more 'in your face' when that would happen in real life and i daresay more intimidating as for one it wouldnt be anonymous, i could see who it is thats saying that and to respond would be absolutely necessary.

The same insults online i couldnt take as seriously

Racism is racism - whether it be online or in 'real time'.
  • Options
    LindaDanversLindaDanvers Posts: 141
    Forum Member

Not just racism but generally bullying too. It's so frustrating.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Too many people don't seem to think of the internet as being "real" so who cares what is said? It seems this is probably why people become so nasty online...to them it's just words on a screen and not personal. I'd have thought with the way computers and the internet have become so important in our lives, this ignorant attitude would have died out by now but if anything it's getting worse.

I don't want to be elitist but honestly the internet was so much better when not every Tom, Dick and Harry could afford it. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member

I would have got into so much trouble if social media had been around when I was a teen. School was absolute hell for me but at least at home, thank God, I always felt safe and loved. If social media had existed when I'd been that age I would have very likely been one of those kids who killed themselves because of the bullying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it ironic that the same people saying "ignore it it's just the Internet it's not real" are the ones arguing over... people having a different opinion on the Internet.

Perhaps you should take your own advice?

Why not just accept that for black people having racial abuse constantly hurled at them might possibly be upsetting, rather than devoting your spare time trying to convince them that they're wrong?
  • Options
    DomJollyDomJolly Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He didn't get banned for simply tweeting she looks like a man or using the word "black"

He got banned for posting up fake tweets of racist, homophobic things Leslie never said.

He more than likely created these tweets himself using Fake Tweet Generator

Leslie can sue for liable

This is a case of when trolling goes wrong. Milo has previously been warned for his behavior and in the past made fake tweets.

However this time he took it way too far. Funny though he was calling for Twitter censorship back in 2012. Bloody hypocrite

He got totally exposed by this guy, who was initially on Milo's side
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjUfJj2id3E

Hopefully Leslie sues Milo.
  • Options
    WillButcherWillButcher Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Libel, not liable. She would need concrete proof that he was in fact the person that created them to be able to do anything, and that would cover the genuine racists tweets she did put out herself.

I'm appalled at how many of you have fallen for her sob story, she is a disgraceful racist, who is guilty of everything she is complaining about herself.

Racist scum will attract racist scum, better to just leave them to it because getting involved only drags you into their trouble.
  • Options
    WillButcherWillButcher Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxdeeniexx wrote: »
    Oh that is just hilarious, not because of what the writer did, but because it highlights the clique mentality within Twitter.
  • Options
    Lil MunchkinLil Munchkin Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facebook, Twitter and many other social media sites seem to be breeding grounds for nasty, vile people to attack, abuse and humiliate others from behind a screen. All the upset and misery they cause, it makes me wonder why people bother.
  • Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    xxdeeniexx wrote: »

You think this woman copying a LJ tweet and posting it in isolation, with no context or reference to what LJ was originally responding to - a 'gorilla c*oon' tweet, just so you know - is an interesting experiment?

I'm really interested to know in what sense you think it proves something.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facebook, Twitter and many other social media sites seem to be breeding grounds for nasty, vile people to attack, abuse and humiliate others from behind a screen. All the upset and misery they cause, it makes me wonder why people bother.

Well, exactly... why do these poor, sensitive little snowflakes take part? If they can't handle it - get off! It really is that simple.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DomJolly wrote: »
    He didn't get banned for simply tweeting she looks like a man or using the word "black"

He got banned for posting up fake tweets of racist, homophobic things Leslie never said.

He more than likely created these tweets himself using Fake Tweet Generator

Hopefully Leslie sues Milo.
    Actually they were not fake and can be found on her timeline as posted earlier in this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't there a Klan meeting you guys are late for?
    Racist scum will attract racist scum.
    Yeah, no kidding...
    Reserved wrote: »
    Well, exactly... why do these poor, sensitive little snowflakes take part? If they can't handle it - get off! It really is that simple.

So anyone who disagrees with racism, extreme constant racial abuse, is a special snowflake who needs to hide inside their house for the rest of their lives?

It's highly ironic that this thread is full of people insisting that non-white people need to accept racial abuse and stfu, yet they all start blubbing like babies and throwing tantrums the second anyone calls them a racist. Maybe you shouldn't be on DS is you're that sensitive, poor little cupcakes?