Kitkat

Comments

• GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having read some of the comments here, but more especially on that ars article above, it would appear that extreme paranoia is the new in thing. I am someone who likes the services and OK they might know this and that about me, but at this stage I really don't care.

People willingly share their lives on Facebook and Twitter, but are worried that Google will find a few things out about them because of their searches. I can see why that may bother some with something to hide, but for 99% of the population, they have nothing to fear.

I see people Rave about swiftkey, but are happy to let it read their Facebook posts, emails and texts so it can better guess what you're going to write...

To be honest some people should get themselves off the internet altogether and never leave the house. Surveillance is a fact of life rightly or wrongly, but you can't really do much about it, and I dunno about anyone else but I've got better things to do than worry about shite like this.

That said if ever they get too heavy handed with the ads them I'm oot!
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having read some of the comments here, but more especially on that ars article above, it would appear that extreme paranoia is the new in thing. I am someone who likes the services and OK they might know this and that about me, but at this stage I really don't care.

People willingly share their lives on Facebook and Twitter, but are worried that Google will find a few things out about them because of their searches. I can see why that may bother some with something to hide, but for 99% of the population, they have nothing to fear.

I see people Rave about swiftkey, but are happy to let it read their Facebook posts, emails and texts so it can better guess what you're going to write...

To be honest some people should get themselves off the internet altogether and never leave the house. Surveillance is a fact of life rightly or wrongly, but you can't really do much about it, and I dunno about anyone else but I've got better things to do than worry about shite like this.

That said if ever they get too heavy handed with the ads them I'm oot!
    Here here.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    i tried for a day and gave up. i' now using a 3rd party app.

a small issue i didn't like about hangouts, in addition to the many many large issues was that the keyboard had no carriage return.

ths issue about hang out contacts being in the list will not affect me as I don't have any Hangout contacts. i still not happy about the idea. i don't think i will bother to update, the phone works ok as it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I haven't, because I've had a Google account for longer than I've had an Android phone so it made sense to always use an account. However I maintain that all the things you listed - calls, texts, Facebook, photos - are possible without a Google account. What I am guessing you mean by "unusable" is that you couldn't access the Google Play Store or sync your Google contacts/calendar, which kind of smacks of wanting your cake and eating it if you expect to be able to do that without having an account..

i don't have a large problem with having a google account as such, the problem I have is the way they try and push other products onto us. Look at google+ for a start, you can't even have a Gmail account without then sticking google+ onto you, sure you can get rid of google+ at the moment, but it should be opt in and not opt out.
    Even you Tube if you got a channel on it keeps badgering people about changing their names and then it gives you a google+ page. I have got rid of it twice, now I just cancel the prompt when it comes up, but for how long will Google allow that to happen?
    .I don't believe any such time will come.

I think you should look at what is happening, but it is not just google, Microsoft decided to add a skype profile onto my Microsoft account, they did not ask, they just did it. i already got a Skype account, but not using Ms account. thankfully Ms at the moment allows me to get rid of the profile.

But google won't allow me to get rid of a profile they set up for me. I never realised it was there until yesterday, i now got it all black and shortened my Christen name to three letters and my surname to one. I tried to shorten my christen name to one but they would not allow that.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    i don't have a large problem with having a google account as such, the problem I have is the way they try and push other products onto us. Look at google+ for a start, you can't even have a Gmail account without then sticking google+ onto you, sure you can get rid of google+ at the moment, but it should be opt in and not opt out.
    Even you Tube if you got a channel on it keeps badgering people about changing their names and then it gives you a google+ page. I have got rid of it twice, now I just cancel the prompt when it comes up, but for how long will Google allow that to happen?

DONT USE IT!

Jesus. What is it with you? Products are NOT being pushed. You are invited to use them. IF you dont want to, uninstall or disable the bloody thing.

You know its so simple a child could understand this....
    I think you should look at what is happening, but it is not just google, Microsoft decided to add a skype profile onto my Microsoft account, they did not ask, they just did it. i already got a Skype account, but not using Ms account. thankfully Ms at the moment allows me to get rid of the profile.

MS have not decided to add it. They took over skype, binned Microsoft Messenger and this is it's replacement. Again if your not happy, DONT BLOODY USE IT!!
    But google won't allow me to get rid of a profile they set up for me. I never realised it was there until yesterday, i now got it all black and shortened my Christen name to three letters and my surname to one. I tried to shorten my christen name to one but they would not allow that.

Google didn't make it, you did!!!

Like i said to you before , i don't know how you survive in life. You must be terrified to go outdoors in case people are after you. Do you think they have massive, and i mean massive centers with millions of people in it riffling through everyones data and laughing at them?

Stop being so paranoid and grow up.
    Forum Member
    Just a note to anyone, if you don't want Hangouts there, just sign out of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going against the tide, but I quite like hangouts and the integration of SMS :o It very handy to have messages chase me onto whatever device I am using, well played Google.

On google+ I actually like it - the communities are brilliant and quite easy to use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    Going against the tide, but I quite like hangouts and the integration of SMS :o It very handy to have messages chase me onto whatever device I am using, well played Google.

On google+ I actually like it - the communities are brilliant and quite easy to use.

Yeah G+ is easily the best social network and the only one I use. I am pretty sure it is opt in as well. When I set up an Android device I add three GMail accounts. I have two with G+ accounts and one without. And everytime I add the one without the account it asks me if I want to join. This account is only about a year old so unless they have changed it since then G+ is opt in rather than in by default.

And to those who are complaining, if you don't like Google services then DON'T USE THEM. Flash CyanogenMod or use an Aliyun device if you want to stay "Android" or go with Firefox OS. No one forces you to use a Google certified device.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have 4.4 yet but in what way can you not turn them on and off like before? Have they removed the WiFi and GPS options??

Yes and no. There isn't a box to tick or untick GPS anymore. In the location mode you can choose between 'High accuracy' (GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks), 'Battery saving' (Wi-Fi and mobile networks) and 'Device only' (GPS)
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dont forget to turn off the wifi always scanning option in the advanced wifi settings (although this was on 4.3 as well so not just a N5 thing)
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Yeah G+ is easily the best social network and the only one I use.

I think you are the first person i have heard say that, everyone else seems to think its a mush of confusing nerdness. I cant get my head round it thats for sure :D
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been saying it for ages too. G+ is exceptionally well designed, and the content quality is second to none.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »
    dont forget to turn off the wifi always scanning option in the advanced wifi settings (although this was on 4.3 as well so not just a N5 thing)

if you are wanting to tease life out of your battery there is an app written by qualcomm

Snapdragon™ BatteryGuru
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xiam.snapdragon.app

Description
    Snapdragon™ BatteryGuru is a battery life saver app that extends battery performance and improves overall user experience by intelligently making changes that optimize device functionality in phones with Snapdragon mobile processors. This app:
    • Delivers longer battery life with fewer charges, acting as a battery life extender
    • Intelligently learns how you use your Snapdragon-powered smartphone and optimizes your device without disabling smartphone functionality
    • Requires no user configuration - Snapdragon BatteryGuru automatically learns and adjusts the smartphone settings so you don’t have to

After a brief 2-4 day introduction period, Snapdragon BatteryGuru learns the user’s behaviors and then notifies the user that it is ready to extend the battery life and improve the experience. Snapdragon BatteryGuru continues to operate in the background, deepening its understanding of the user and further optimizing the experience over time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    if you are wanting to tease life out of your battery there is an app written by qualcomm

Snapdragon™ BatteryGuru
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xiam.snapdragon.app

Description
    Snapdragon™ BatteryGuru is a battery life saver app that extends battery performance and improves overall user experience by intelligently making changes that optimize device functionality in phones with Snapdragon mobile processors. This app:
    • Delivers longer battery life with fewer charges, acting as a battery life extender
    • Intelligently learns how you use your Snapdragon-powered smartphone and optimizes your device without disabling smartphone functionality
    • Requires no user configuration - Snapdragon BatteryGuru automatically learns and adjusts the smartphone settings so you don’t have to

After a brief 2-4 day introduction period, Snapdragon BatteryGuru learns the user’s behaviors and then notifies the user that it is ready to extend the battery life and improve the experience. Snapdragon BatteryGuru continues to operate in the background, deepening its understanding of the user and further optimizing the experience over time.

It is a great app. I use it on all of my Snapdragon devices (all two of them, I just trying to sound like I have lots of phones).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    DONT USE IT!

Jesus. What is it with you? Products are NOT being pushed. You are invited to use them. IF you dont want to, uninstall or disable the bloody thing.

You know its so simple a child could understand this....

They are being pushed. sure they are invited to use a services, but then once they use that service they are being pushed onto others.
    MS have not decided to add it. They took over skype, binned Microsoft Messenger and this is it's replacement. Again if your not happy, DONT BLOODY USE IT!!

You just don't get it, I DID NOT ASK FOR A SKYPE PROFILE.
    Well, not one connected to my MS account. just because Ms owns Skype, it don't mean i want people to contact me on it.

Google didn't make it, you did!!!

But google was the one that decided it can't be hidden. their reason was so other people can contact me, i don't want other people to contact me on Google.
    The only reason i got a Gmail account was to sync my contacts.
    Like i said to you before , i don't know how you survive in life. You must be terrified to go outdoors in case people are after you.

and as I said to you before, you are incorrect.
    Do you think they have massive, and i mean massive centers with millions of people in it riffling through everyones data and laughing at them?

No, it is done by computers. I said before I can stop the spying from Google on where I go on the net. That is not the problem.

the problem is google thinkiing that everyone wants to same thing from their services and think that we all need a google+ account.

Stop being so paranoid and grow up.
    Not paranoid, just like to keep in control of my data as much as possible, there is a difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Yeah G+ is easily the best social network and the only one I use. I am pretty sure it is opt in as well. When I set up an Android device I add three GMail accounts. I have two with G+ accounts and one without. And everytime I add the one without the account it asks me if I want to join. This account is only about a year old so unless they have changed it since then G+ is opt in rather than in by default.

And to those who are complaining, if you don't like Google services then DON'T USE THEM. Flash CyanogenMod or use an Aliyun device if you want to stay "Android" or go with Firefox OS. No one forces you to use a Google certified device.

There is no one using google+, there may be millions of accounts if what Google say is correct, but most of them are not used, because most people have no idea they got a Google+ profile.

Google+ is opt out and have been for a while, I had my Gmail account before all this started, so they never gave me a Google+ profile, but they try to give me a page on you Tube now and again.

No one forces me to use Google phone, that is true, but they are one of the better phone Os out there. Believe me if firefox ever got a decent phone out, I would be tempted.
    Forum Member
    They are being pushed. sure they are invited to use a services, but then once they use that service they are being pushed onto others.

You just don't get it, I DID NOT ASK FOR A SKYPE PROFILE.
    Well, not one connected to my MS account. just because Ms owns Skype, it don't mean i want people to contact me on it.

But google was the one that decided it can't be hidden. their reason was so other people can contact me, i don't want other people to contact me on Google.
    The only reason i got a Gmail account was to sync my contacts.

and as I said to you before, you are incorrect.

No, it is done by computers. I said before I can stop the spying from Google on where I go on the net. That is not the problem.

the problem is google thinkiing that everyone wants to same thing from their services and think that we all need a google+ account.

Not paranoid, just like to keep in control of my data as much as possible, there is a difference.

You really are a lost cause.

Im not sure if you are a troll or just a complete lunatic...
    Forum Member
    There is no one using google+, there may be millions of accounts if what Google say is correct, but most of them are not used, because most people have no idea they got a Google+ profile.

Google+ is opt out and have been for a while, I had my Gmail account before all this started, so they never gave me a Google+ profile, but they try to give me a page on you Tube now and again.

No one forces me to use Google phone, that is true, but they are one of the better phone Os out there. Believe me if firefox ever got a decent phone out, I would be tempted.

People aren't using it? HAHAHA!!

Well, i'm pretty sure i used it earlier today. I'm also pretty sure all of my friends and workmates used it today as well as someone from this very website i have on it!!

You are an absolute cracker!! :D
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even my semi technophobic wife uses it, as does her team(s), I use it, my children use it, lots of friends use it (a growing group I must say).
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But you moan a lot about Firefox:confused: You said you prefer standard text messaging etc so really its time to reduce your worry/stress level and go back to a standard phone and digital camera for your photo's surely? Maybe a little radio/MP3 player? Your clearly over focused upon personal security (I can understand you using CCTV, I have a multi camera system in place as part of the home alarm system) but all your worries don't read well, they are not healthy to be honest. Your physical and mental health come first in life and not worrying about a PC and being 'spied' upon...that really is daft. Cut back on the internet, spend time with your dad and family and just generally chill out; you'll benefit if you do.

Step back for a day or so then read your posts from a detached point of view, they don't read well chap.

Take care.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really are a lost cause.

Im not sure if you are a troll or just a complete lunatic...

so just because i give a crap about my privacy you call me a lunatic, that is very grown up of you since you keep telling me to grow up.
    Forum Member
    so just because i give a crap about my privacy you call me a lunatic, that is very grown up of you since you keep telling me to grow up.

Give a crap about privacy?

Its nothing to do with that with you. Its all about complete paranoia and sheer cluelessness even lies.

You keep claiming you are being forced. You are nothing of the kind. As i have said to you before - DON'T USE THEM. No one has ever been forced to use a service. No one.

Remember, i have a google phone as well. The Mrs has a Chromebook as you know so i have a very good idea about google since i have used Android since day one. I have NEVER EVER been forced to use any of their services. Never.

You sir, are just making lies up to mask your paranoia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People aren't using it? HAHAHA!!

Well, i'm pretty sure i used it earlier today. I'm also pretty sure all of my friends and workmates used it today as well as someone from this very website i have on it!!

You are an absolute cracker!! :D

you get some that are using it, but the amount that is using it is pretty small, and don't take any notice of what google say. they count people that they added and accounts that have not been used.

As of yet, i know of one person that I am in contact with that is on Google+ and uses it. Others got it because they got gmail, but they don't touch it.

The difference with google+ than with say Facebook or twitter for that matter, is that with Twitter and Facebook, you make the active choice to have account with them. Google+ you don't. you may only want a email account, so go for Gmail and you end up on google+.

i should have realised that google would do more integration with the next OS, still since i have got a older phone I will not have to update to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    But you moan a lot about Firefox:confused:

The firefox browser is not as good as it used to be, that is the problem I have with firefox.

You said you prefer standard text messaging etc so really its time to reduce your worry/stress level and go back to a standard phone and digital camera for your photo's surely? Maybe a little radio/MP3 player? Your clearly over focused upon personal security

[/quote]

Don't tell me what to do, I told you that before. if you think I am going to stop using a phone that I paid over £300 for 8 months a ago then think again.

I prefer standard messaging because everyone, even people with basic mobiles can receive SMS. No need for any extra apps.

(I can understand you using CCTV, I have a multi camera system in place as part of the home alarm system)

Now that is paranoid, I have one Camera and it is by my front door.
    but all your worries don't read well, they are not healthy to be honest. Your physical and mental health come first in life and not worrying about a PC and being 'spied' upon...that really is daft. Cut back on the internet, spend time with your dad and family and just generally chill out; you'll benefit if you do.

My mental health is fine and again, don't tell me what to do.
    I am not worried about being spied on as I got software to block it. so no worries.
    Step back for a day or so then read your posts from a detached point of view, they don't read well chap.

Take care.
    Again, do not tell me what to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give a crap about privacy?

Its nothing to do with that with you. Its all about complete paranoia and sheer cluelessness even lies.

Now who is typing a load of crap?

You keep claiming you are being forced. You are nothing of the kind. As i have said to you before - DON'T USE THEM. No one has ever been forced to use a service. No one.

you just not getting it or you don't want to, I am just repeating myself and getting no where.

But I will try again, just in case it gets into that head of yours.

I never said you are being forced into using google, apart from the fact that their cookies are all over the place. what i am on about is that if you want just a couple of services, you are forced into the others, if you use them or not they are still there.

Remember, i have a google phone as well. The Mrs has a Chromebook as you know so i have a very good idea about google since i have used Android since day one. I have NEVER EVER been forced to use any of their services. Never.
    Use them or not, they are still there, Google+ is the worse one they try to get you to use, make a Gmail account, you got Google+
    You sir, are just making lies up to mask your paranoia.

you are entitled to your opinion.

right, now that is over and done with, what advantages would Kitkat have over Jelly bean, apart from being lighter on the hardware?