Anyone in the April-July band had their speed doubled yet?

Comments

• rifraf58rifraf58 Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Our date was from July but told by customer services that it is actually due in September.
    Was on 20mb as I wasn,t going to pay £30 for new hub when they were going to replace it free when it is doubled up.
    Had an internet fault two weeks ago with it going very slow, they arranged an engineer appointment for next day. He said it was the modem so replaced it, with a super hub!. I phoned CS next day to ask if I could now get 30mb as I now had the super hub or do I have to wait until Sept. She said "don't know who told you Sept but it is available for our area now" Don't know were the next bit came from but she asked if I wanted to have it speeded up as it would save me £1.50 per month (no extension of contract). I said "You are lovely" 10 minutes later I was getting close to 60mb. Normally now when I check my speed I getting round about 62 -63mb.
  • rifraf58rifraf58 Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    By the way, am in the SS7 area
  • tosha43tosha43 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    When I phoned them yesterday about something else I thought I would just ask about 100mg, on website it's says July but man on phone said it would be October? I am in Ts 3 area.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    That VM doublespeed postcode page seems to be pretty useless then.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or the man on the phone was wrong or was misinformed
    Forum Member
    He's not really much use then if he is. Why is he still there?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjeff2k wrote: »
    He's not really much use then if he is. Why is he still there?
    Dunno.

As for being wrong or misinformed - in all walks of life, it happens. People are given the correct information and then misunderstand it. some are given the wrong information or briefing and they act upon that, others make mistakes, others misconstrue what was asked of them. No-one is 100% perfect. Yes, it should not happen within a customer-facing environment, but the fact is that it does (it does not make it any better for the customer though).
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm due for upgrade March/April, doesn't leave them too much longer to get it sorted.
  • Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a word to the wise here - be very wary of Virgin phoning you up to tell you that your speed is increasing imminently.

2 weeks ago a lady from their Indian call centre phoned me asking if I was happy to be doubling my speed to 60MB. I replied that no, my speed was doubling from 10MB to 20MB, not 60MB. She then told me my upgrade was in fact to 60MB including 3 month free trials to Spotify and to an online film database.
    I queried these 'free' upgrades, and she then admitted that they would be chargeable monthly after 3 months.

I politely cut off the call and rang the Virgin cancellation line in the UK to query what I'd been told. They told me it was their online sales people that had called me and in no way should I sign up to the 60MB broadband speed as in 3 months my bill would go up by £15/month.

So, beware of phone calls promising you freee upgrades - make sure you dont agree to any 'extras' as those extras may one day appear on your bill.
    Forum Member
    Or the woman on the phone was wrong or was misinformed ;-)
  • PeacockAntonyPeacockAntony Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tosha43 wrote: »
    When I phoned them yesterday about something else I thought I would just ask about 100mg, on website it's says July but man on phone said it would be October? I am in Ts 3 area.
    Looks like that will be the case for me aswell then, since I am in the TS14 area.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    I had a new offer today via E - Mail from Virgin Media Retentions

My Offer is like this

Current Package

Size M TV - 65 Channels
    Size XL 50MB Broadband including Broadband Security for 7 PCs
    Size XL Phone
    All Calling Features and Talk Mobile £10, Talk 08 £5
    Caller Display and Anonymous Call Rejection
    Plus some Extras
    Phone Line Rental

Current Price £109

New Package

1TB Tivo Box - Free of Charge - No Box Charge
    Size XL TV - 175 Channels
    Picturebox
    Baby TV
    Cinémoi
    Size XL 100MB Broadband moving to 120MB Broadband after June 2012 including Broadband Security for 7 PCs
    Size XL Phone
    All Calling Features and Current Talk Plans
    Caller Display and Anonymous Call Rejection
    Plus some Extras
    Phone Line Rental

New Price £102

Installation Charge for new Superhub Modem and USB Adapter and the 1TB Tivo Box £49.95

It is a no brainer!!

I do not need to wait until July to change my Broadband or TV Packages now

Have to sort it out with my Family first though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    a few weeks ago i was told it was being upgraded on 21th april will let you know
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before i was Oct-Nov 2012, now its Oct-july 2013. And with the news of them saying things are going well and faster, i was thinking might would have been brought forward
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Got upgraded today, partly in response to an ongoing complaint.

Looks like VM are following other BB providers with upto claims, at 10.00pm connecting at 14meg (wifi N), not 60!

How long before a thread opens with disappointed customers following the upgrade.

VM, you continue to dissapoint.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    twiggy wrote: »
    Got upgraded today, partly in response to an ongoing complaint.

Looks like VM are following other BB providers with upto claims, at 10.00pm connecting at 14meg (wifi N), not 60!

How long before a thread opens with disappointed customers following the upgrade.

VM, you continue to dissapoint.

thats the problem.

The superhub's wifi is useless.

get your own cable router, and drop the superhub into modem mode. you'll see the difference!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I've just got a SuperHub today, and the MyVirginMedia page now states that I am 'enjoying' a doubled speed, but I am pretty much getting the same speeds as I had before with just a couple of spikes into the 30s.

I've tried the superhub wired/wireless/modem mode etc, but it seems pretty ropey to me whichever connection I use with the added joy of the superhub dropping the connection every couple of hours.

I'm in Hartlepool - can anyone confirm whether the role-out of the speed increase has been done here?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    im mar/april still getting 50 megwhich is fine i guess apart from the new tm measures
    Forum Member
    bjq1972 wrote: »
    I've just got a SuperHub today, and the MyVirginMedia page now states that I am 'enjoying' a doubled speed, but I am pretty much getting the same speeds as I had before with just a couple of spikes into the 30s.

I'm in Hartlepool - can anyone confirm whether the role-out of the speed increase has been done here?

No it hasnt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Virgin Media have doubled my speed from 10mb to 20mb.

However it only reaches 20mb early in the morning like now.During the evening peak times have only been getting 8-10mb.When I had 10mb max speed was getting between 9-10mb virtually 24hrs a day so it looks like with the speed increase to 20mb my evening speeds have actually dropped!

I know speeds can drop during busy times but would now expect around 15mb at least.

Will monitor as Virgin have not officially told me I have been upgraded so could be early days/testing phase?
  • keith57keith57 Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I'v got an appointment booked for 11th May to upgrade. I must admit that I'm not looking forward to getting a Super Hub though. I will probably use it in modem mode with my current router.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    keith57 wrote: »
    I'v got an appointment booked for 11th May to upgrade. I must admit that I'm not looking forward to getting a Super Hub though. I will probably use it in modem mode with my current router.

I have had a super hub for a week now and not had any problems, although I run it in DMZ mode and dont use wireless. At least in DMZ you can still use the extra ports, modem mode turns them off. I have my VOIP router plugged into the super hub too.

My download speeds are consistently 9.8Mb any time of day.

From what I have read the wireless in the super hub is pants but if you use ethernet it seems pretty good
  • HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed i've gone up to 8 downstream channels from 4 channels about 4 days ago. This is apparently the first step in the speed being upgraded. I'm in Welwyn Garden City and it is scheduled for April - July.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Croydon in London is now showing April - July as when it will be upgraded

Use the Checker with this Postcode SE25 4AA

www.virginmedia.com/doublespeed

Not sure if people are being upgraded yet though or if they are in the process of being upgraded
  • rossrevenge64rossrevenge64 Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Speed just been doubled at 12:45 am. :)