Why do people not like born this way?

2»

Comments

• newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    The thing with 'The Fame' is that it was an easy album to listen to, to "get" and to enjoy. It didn't concern itself with over complicated themes but, at the same time, that didn't stop it from being brilliant, top quality pop music.

By the time we got to Born This Way it seemed she was trying to shoehorn obtuse concepts into most of the songs and, for me at least, those concepts just didn't (and still don't) make a lot of sense. (When I heard her blethering on about ear condoms during Judas I knew she'd lost the plot).

That, married with the often messy sounding production, simply makes it a less instantly likeable album. It takes work to "get" it. And that's either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your viewpoint. For me, it took me ages to appreciate it. At times it IS amazing but at times it is simply unlistenable and there are still too many tracks I skip on there.

The irony, of course, is that brilliant, top quality pop doesn't have to be particularly deep. And you have to wonder - which type of word of mouth sells more albums - "I listened to Gaga's album and loved it straight away" OR "I listened to Gaga's album 14 times before I stopped skipping half the tracks after the first three seconds"

ARTPOP seems to be the compromise between the two albums that came before it. Some of it is a bit obtuse, some of it is as deep as a puddle. "I wanna dress you up in silk taffeta" indeed.