Options

Cold Feet ITV New Series starts 5th September

Comments

• Options
    MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked it, it made good Monday night viewing. I missed Rachel, but it did work and was better than I'd thought it would be. There just needs to be more focus on the other characters, but that does seem certain to happen. I'd hoped Helen Baxendale would have made a cameo as Rachel's ghost, but read that she'd turned it down and whilst I can see why I think it would have been good just before the wedding.
  • Options
    ArtygillArtygill Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it too. I even forgave the scripwriter for the rather clunky use of coincidence to help the story along. :)
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the feeling they are planning for David and Karen to get back together, but I really hope not. Though I would certainly like to see David and Robyn split up.
  • Options
    gizza_gazzagizza_gazza Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm old enough to have been around for the original series when it was an absolute weekly must see, and was expecting this to be a horrible damp squib. But you know what? I watched it and loved it. I felt like it was watching 13 years of my own life having passed by. Excellent script and excellent performances. My only personal gripe was that Adam's wife to be seemed too similar to the Aussie girl Pete took up with all those years ago.
  • Options
    KarlyKarly Posts: 10,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I didn't like was the idea that everybody around 50 is miserable - we're not all!
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't really enjoy the last series but this imo was a return to form.

It made me remember why I originally liked it so much.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    I loved it! So glad it's back.:)
  • Options
    claremontsclaremonts Posts: 20,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karly wrote: »
    One thing I didn't like was the idea that everybody around 50 is miserable - we're not all!
    Hear Hear! 😀
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lorri Lou wrote: »
    I enjoyed though it did feel a bit like the James Nesbitt show. Hope the next episodes show more of the ensemble cast. The ages of the kids felt a bit wrong too young Adam and Matthew looked the same age but Adam was born a few years before him. Those niggles aside it was nice to see them all back together again.

He's the reason why I never watched it first time around.
  • Options
    iprodiprod Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I was nervous after all the hype but I needn't have been. It was FAB... like finding a pair of comfy slippers that have been missing. So lovely to have them back. Hugely enjoyable!
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    This was a great start, ppl might say they were miserable but there was no personality transplants here it was literally like they've never been away.

I'm not really going to miss rachel as it gives adam a new dynamic.

I loved Davids 3 amigos cheers a real nod to the past, and the look of desperation on his face when he said he didn't like his wife, it was proper true to form stuff that the lads always opened up to each other when the women were absent.

Bring on next week
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the original was the Helen Baxendale show and actually Adam and Rachel were my least favourite characters. Needs to be more of a balance. Jenny was always my favourite. Don't think I've ever seen Karen smile once since 1997!

So glad it's back.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better than I expected. Never liked Karen before but seems much more sympathetic now.

I realise David and Karen's kids are now grown but was still hoping Ramona would come back somehow.
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    i was 10 when it ended i can remember a few bits of the show not much but what i do recall i recall fondly.
    i thought it was a good first episode seems like they never left.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is JN so "Shouty"!!
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,739
    Forum Member
    ritchie2yk wrote: »
    This was a great start, ppl might say they were miserable but there was no personality transplants here it was literally like they've never been away.

I'm not really going to miss rachel as it gives adam a new dynamic.

I loved Davids 3 amigos cheers a real nod to the past, and the look of desperation on his face when he said he didn't like his wife, it was proper true to form stuff that the lads always opened up to each other when the women were absent.

Bring on next week

I liked it all - but agree with the bib in particular.

Really good start I thought.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it last night! I loved how the characters have matured but stayed true to themselves. Especially how David wants Karen back but was still up to his old tricks with the speeding fine!

The one thing I would hope for in the next episodes would be a better balance of the character stories. I get why Adam had to be centre-stage for this one, but I'd like to see more of the others independently in their lives.

I was really impressed with the actor playing Matt by the way - teen actors are usually so annoying, but he did really well stepping into the cast. The other kids were just 'there'.

As this is 13 years later, I guess Josh will be at university by now? It's a little confusing that the twins Ellie and Ollie aren't identical like when they were little (they were the 'bridesmaids'), but I guess that's hard to cast.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm old enough to have been around for the original series when it was an absolute weekly must see, and was expecting this to be a horrible damp squib. But you know what? I watched it and loved it. I felt like it was watching 13 years of my own life having passed by. Excellent script and excellent performances. My only personal gripe was that Adam's wife to be seemed too similar to the Aussie girl Pete took up with all those years ago.

Yeah me exactly the same! I actually was almost hoping this wasn't going to be any good, I felt it was a classic drama best left in the past.

Instead my resistant crumbled as the years fell away - the familiar style of the writer brought to life by the wonderful cast, an unqualified success in my view.

The bit where they were standing outside the old house a wonderful touch and Adam's sweet look back as he walked away - fantastic and moving.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I didn't really enjoy the last series but this imo was a return to form.

It made me remember why I originally liked it so much.
    That's how I felt about it. The new series was right back on form from the freeze frame gag onwards. It helps that they are all very watchable actors, but the script is the key. Hopefully they can maintain the standard.

It helps that James Nesbitt is dialled back to only slightly annoying.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    In preparation for the programme I watched all the original series back to back on the ITV Hub and this just followed on seamlessly, just the way that old friends meet up and the years missed just disappear in a twinkle.
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    killjoy wrote: »
    In preparation for the programme I watched all the original series back to back on the ITV Hub and this just followed on seamlessly, just the way that old friends meet up and the years missed just disappear in a twinkle.

Actually I would have benefited from some kind of 'previously' short summary at the beginning since I only had a vague recollection of where it all left off. I know it might have been a lot to condense (with main issues/highlights, etc) but some indication, especially of how it ended, would have been most welcomed.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    Actually I would have benefited from some kind of 'previously' short summary at the beginning since I only had a vague recollection of where it all left off. I know it might have been a lot to condense (with main issues/highlights, etc) but some indication, especially of how it ended, would have been most welcomed.

I suppose the problem with doing a "previously" would be the poor quality of the earlier recordings and the 4:3 format. It would have looked terrible in HD.
  • Options
    Goggle girlGoggle girl Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »

Agreed - that would have been a good idea.

Thought Adam was pretty insufferable but then again, he always had that tendency and James N does tend to play to type. Not sure about Angela, she seems too good to be true & her mega rich father seemed remarkably relaxed at having to fly half way across the world to walk his daughter up the aisle to marry an Irishman 18 years older with a teenage son, and in a Christian church. Plus they haven't been a coup,e for that long. Think there will be revelations to come.

Adam's landlady seems pretty familiar with him bearing in mind he has only been back in the UK for a few days.

What happened to Karen & David's older child? No mention of him.

Wish that Rachel was featured - not as a "ghost" (can quite see why Heln B turned that down) but maybe occasionally in Adam's mind.

Overall though, I liked it. A nice light entertainment for a Monday evening.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really impressed with the actor playing Matt by the way - teen actors are usually so annoying, but he did really well stepping into the cast. The other kids were just 'there'.

The actor has just turned 21, so he would have been 20 when this was filmed.
  • Options
    retrodjretrodj Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Another comeback series which I really enjoyed. Will keep watching.:)