Springwatch Autumnwatch

foxyfruitfoxyfruit Posts: 8,545
Forum Member
Sorry if this has been raised elsewhere but I have just read that Martin Hughes-Games is being sidelined form future Springwatch series because he doesn't fit the BBC diversity quota.
If this is true it is disgraceful, he is such a knowledgable man, and so enthusiastic about all wildlife.
It's madness and I find it quite offensive >:(>:(

Comments

• oranges71oranges71 Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the BBC will find an equally suitable presenter who is coloured, disabled and homosexual.
  • MoxeyMoxey Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foxyfruit wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been raised elsewhere but I have just read that Martin Hughes-Games is being sidelined form future Springwatch series because he doesn't fit the BBC diversity quota.
    If this is true it is disgraceful, he is such a knowledgable man, and so enthusiastic about all wildlife.
    It's madness and I find it quite offensive >:(>:(

No, you will always be first with the news of what you have just read.

I don't know where you read it (no link) but I read two accounts, one in the Telegraph, naturally, and another in the Mirror. Other than Martin musing aloud on the presenters' class and ethnicity there is nothing else in the articles relating to a 'diversity'. He is not being sidelined either though his role is changing. Apart from that........

Still, it's makes for a good anti-BBC thread combined with a helping of flamin'-political-correctness-gawn-mad-innit-eh?
  • briggsy1briggsy1 Posts: 10,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There must be a one legged, black, lesbian woman somewhere the BBC can employ to take his place!
  • Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,380
    Forum Member
    How sad that Martin has been dumped oops sorry side lined due to the diversity policy of the Beeb. It was always OK for him to be sent out in the middle of the night to do the filming that maybe nobody else wanted to do, also to do some of the more ridiculously filmed parts of the shows when even though he looked a complete twerp etc (I mean this nicely as I like his way of presenting and could understand him) he did it very professionally.
    He is (can't say was) a very knowledgeable gent who has a great sense of humour and seems to enjoy all of the programmes he takes part in. I always felt he and the others in the team had a ball filming and it will seem very strange not to see him on our screens with Chris and Michaela,
    I really hope the Beeb don't dispense with him completely and that they give him something that he can enjoy doing.. Quite sad now:(
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    I understand that Nadiya Hussain is currently available and looking for new challenges.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sidelined for being too white and middle class.

And now try to imagine the BBC sidelining a presenter for being too black.
  • SamLouiseSamLouise Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Such a shame. He's so knowledgable about wildlife and a joy to watch.

The BBC is slowly ruining itself with these stupid decisions.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they keep that moron Chris Packham, who doesn't work for the BBC you know. A man who has made it his goal to discriminate against most the people living in the countryside.

Proof the BBC considers the countryside a theme park.
  • andy29andy29 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    You're kidding! Fancy not having your contract renewed simply because your skin colour, gender, sexuality or physical ability is wrong, eh? Shame for the new person too since they'll probably be fine and it won't be their fault if people are a little grumpy about them. What a stupid way to bring them in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS they've cancelled Quizy Monday for this effin sh**e.

BBC making the countryside a theme park again.
  • WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to kill this whole franchise of dull bird watching tosh off. Twelve years is enough.
    Packham makes me want to punch my television.
  • charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to kill this whole franchise of dull bird watching tosh off. Twelve years is enough.
    Packham makes me want to punch my television.

Did whoever ate your dinner eat your tv remote aswell?? Simply change the channel if you don't like. It really is that simple. Dunno why whingers find that concept so difficult.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    Did whoever ate your dinner eat your tv remote aswell?? Simply change the channel if you don't like. It really is that simple. Dunno why whingers find that concept so difficult.
    Here we go again with this clichéd nonsense. So on which channel are we supposed to find University Challenge and Only Connect?
  • Boo Radley75Boo Radley75 Posts: 13,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moxey wrote: »
    No, you will always be first with the news of what you have just read.

I don't know where you read it (no link) but I read two accounts, one in the Telegraph, naturally, and another in the Mirror. Other than Martin musing aloud on the presenters' class and ethnicity there is nothing else in the articles relating to a 'diversity'. He is not being sidelined either though his role is changing. Apart from that........

Still, it's makes for a good anti-BBC thread combined with a helping of flamin'-political-correctness-gawn-mad-innit-eh?

The only voice of reason on this thread but as expected being ignored by people whose hobby is finding things to be offended about and if there isn't anything, make something up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Here we go again with this clichéd nonsense. So on which channel are we supposed to find University Challenge and Only Connect?

How is it clichéd nonsense? You don't like something switch it off and watch something else. There are 60million people in this country, tv isnt just personalised for the likes of you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is it clichéd nonsense? You don't like something switch it off and watch something else. There are 60million people in this country, tv isnt just personalised for the likes of you.
    It's a cliché because whenever someone posts a negative comment about a programme someone like you posts exactly what you have posted.

The secondary complaint in this thread is that Autumnwatch has unnecessarily usurped the regular showing of University Challenge and Only Connect which you probably don't watch and which no amount of channel changing is going to fix. I am not the only one, by the way, as you'll notice if you read the thread,.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a cliché because whenever someone posts a negative comment about a programme someone like you posts exactly what you have posted.

The secondary complaint in this thread is that Autumnwatch has unnecessarily usurped the regular showing of University Challenge and Only Connect which you probably don't watch and which no amount of channel changing is going to fix. I am not the only one, by the way, as you'll notice if you read the thread,.

It's on for 4 Mondays per year. I'm sure you quit Monday geeks will cope if another group of viewers are catered for for 1 hour of that monday
  • briggsy1briggsy1 Posts: 10,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there no Unsprung this time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    briggsy1 wrote: »
    Is there no Unsprung this time?

Possibly be on the "red button"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

University Challenge and Only Connect are consistently in the top 10 programmes for BBC 2, so it is not just people wanting their own personalised tv channel. They have been known to exceed viewing figures on ITV top 10.

So the BBC cancels them for propaganda for extremist tree huggers and bunny lovers, who seem to think we live in a Beatrix Potter novel.

Similarly it is presented by someone who has taken his privileged celebrity status and used it to attack the very organisations that are committed to the preservation of the countryside and it's productive status.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Similarly it is presented by someone who has taken his privileged celebrity status and used it to attack the very organisations that are committed to the preservation of the countryside and it's productive status.
    While I agree with most of what you say in your post, I hope you are not trying to legitimise the Countryside Alliance here. Chris Packham in spite of his various obsessions, also campaigns (justly) against the trapping and shooting of migrating songbirds in Cyprus and Malta.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I agree with most of what you say in your post, I hope you are not trying to legitimise the Countryside Alliance here. Chris Packham in spite of his various obsessions, also campaigns (justly) against the trapping and shooting of migrating songbirds in Cyprus and Malta.

Chris Packham has basically libelled the Countryside Alliance and the BBC refuse to sanction him because 'he isn't an employee of the BBC'

And I am sorry I am a proud member of the Countryside Alliance and the BASC, and until recently the CLA.
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamLouise wrote: »
    Such a shame. He's so knowledgable about wildlife and a joy to watch.

The BBC is slowly ruining itself with these stupid decisions.

If this is true,then I shan't watch any more.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calig wrote: »

well that wasn't in the slightest bit predictable!