Top Gear

Comments

• AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    richhoops wrote: »
    I went to see this weeks show being filmed yesterday, a really enjoyable experience. It was much more fun than other TV filming I've been to that can sometimes be a bit of a chore to sit through.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product on Sunday, it seemed like a good one!

If I'm not mistaken this means you got to see Gillian Anderson.

And if I'm not mistaken, that makes me very jealous indeed :D
  • richhoopsrichhoops Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    If I'm not mistaken this means you got to see Gillian Anderson.

And if I'm not mistaken, that makes me very jealous indeed :D

Yes indeed and you should be :p

I was stood directly opposite her for the interview. When I got home my wife asked if she I looked at me, I said that for a split second I thought I saw a glimpse of disappointment in her eye when she saw my wedding ring :D
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was stood directly opposite her for the interview. When I got home my wife asked if she I looked at me, I said that for a split second I thought I saw a glimpse of disappointment in her eye when she saw my wedding ring :D

:D:D:D
    Lucky devil!
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You lucky sod.:D;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Are there any plans to refresh the show it's going stale?
    Jeremy's beginning to get boring and predictable you can almost second guess what he's going to say now..
    The same style car reviews going around the same track that the celebrities also drive around is also getting dull.
    I would like to see the reviews of cars being driven around the UK like they used to do.
    And possibly a new race track for lap times. There are plenty of underused race tracks around.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeremy's beginning to get boring and predictable you can almost second guess what he's going to say now..
    The same style car reviews going around the same track that the celebrities also drive around is also getting dull.
    I would like to see the reviews of cars being driven around the UK like they used to do.
    And possibly a new race track for lap times. There are plenty of underused race tracks around.

Not going to happen.

Either accept it or move on to something else.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Why? :confused:

It would mean you couldn't compare new lap-times with previous ones.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    1) Are there any plans to refresh the show it's going stale?
    2) Jeremy's beginning to get boring and predictable you can almost second guess what he's going to say now..
    3) The same style car reviews going around the same track that the celebrities also drive around is also getting dull.
    4) I would like to see the reviews of cars being driven around the UK like they used to do.
    5) And possibly a new race track for lap times. There are plenty of underused race tracks around.
    1) in your eyes maybe. Watching old TGs on Dave it's interesting to see how all three have mellowed into middle(r) age and become more like me. The show is changing, with the presenters.

2) Maybe you can guess the odd catch-phrase, but that doesn't hold true for the rest of the show. Errant nonsense, not a worthy reason for discarding it in its current form.

3) ? SIARPC is fun, esp the reveal. The point of it is to compare different drivers in the same car on the same course. If you mean that you want to see the supercar tests done on a different track, why would you? It's on the doorstep, it's a good track (Lotus designed it, McClaren also use it) and it gives consistency.

4) Boring as hell. 5th Gear, old TG, numerous others have all tried it, it's dull and no-one really cares. It's an entertainment show, not consumer advice.

5) Dealt with above. It's there for consistency, and the fun of it is seeing how different A - Z list celebs handle the challenge.

TG is a load of light-hearted fun. If you don't like it, watch something else.

Do people really want to see TG review cars like the Suzuki Swift, or a Hyundai i20? Really? They really are tin boxes that do a job, and nothing more. Everything you need to know about them can be discovered in a 20 minute test drive.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    1)
    Do people really want to see TG review cars like the Suzuki Swift, or a Hyundai i20? Really? They really are tin boxes that do a job, and nothing more. Everything you need to know about them can be discovered in a 20 minute test drive.

I can't see any problem in a short item on them, better than a long boring item (even half the programme sometimes) with two ugly 'supercars'.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I can't see any problem in a short item on them, better than a long boring item (even half the programme sometimes) with two ugly 'supercars'.

There's a reason old Top Gear got cancelled and it was because reviews of Mondeos et al have a limited audience.

I'm sure Chris Goffey's still knocking around on some obscure channel reviewing cars for the common man if that's what you really want.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some decent car TV programmes covering the average car segment of the market. What Car have their own section on YouTube, it has loads of normal car video reviews which are very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/user/whatcar?spfreload=10

So why would Top Gear dilute their brand when there are so many other choices.
    Forum Member
    1) in your eyes maybe. Watching old TGs on Dave it's interesting to see how all three have mellowed into middle(r) age and become more like me. The show is changing, with the presenters.

2) Maybe you can guess the odd catch-phrase, but that doesn't hold true for the rest of the show. Errant nonsense, not a worthy reason for discarding it in its current form.

3) ? SIARPC is fun, esp the reveal. The point of it is to compare different drivers in the same car on the same course. If you mean that you want to see the supercar tests done on a different track, why would you? It's on the doorstep, it's a good track (Lotus designed it, McClaren also use it) and it gives consistency.

4) Boring as hell. 5th Gear, old TG, numerous others have all tried it, it's dull and no-one really cares. It's an entertainment show, not consumer advice.

5) Dealt with above. It's there for consistency, and the fun of it is seeing how different A - Z list celebs handle the challenge.

TG is a load of light-hearted fun. If you don't like it, watch something else.

1. Watching old TG on Dave is why current TG feels stale its the same track, same thing.
    2. The point of taking the Cars off the track and around the country is to see something different.
    3. Old TG went as it didn't change .
    4. I only watch it when they have a ''challenge'' the rest of the program is the same every week just different car or different Celebrity.
    5. Jeremy is becoming predictable it was funny but it's old and he is becoming a has been.
    6. I have stopped watching.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

They've changed the SIARPC several times.
    No reason why they couldn't scrapt the main car lap times and start from scratch.

The only thing left over would be the F1 drivers who use the same track and the same old car.
    I've always wondered why it's limited to F1. Why not touring car, rally, other professional drivers?
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    They've changed the SIARPC several times.
    No reason why they couldn't scrapt the main car lap times and start from scratch.
    SIARPC is a conceit. It's a five minute interview slot with a celeb to talk about them and whatever product they have coming out. Getting them to drive a lap is simply a way to make it look less like the celeb-worship plugging junket that it actually is. The idea the laps actually have any great meaning at all - and therefore should be subject to critical analysis - is laughable.
    The only thing left over would be the F1 drivers who use the same track and the same old car.
    I've always wondered why it's limited to F1.
    Who says it is?
    Why not touring car, rally, other professional drivers?
    Maybe because none of them have said yes yet? They are all busy people, after all.
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    SIARPC is a conceit. It's a five minute interview slot with a celeb to talk about them and whatever product they have coming out. Getting them to drive a lap is simply a way to make it look less like the celeb-worship plugging junket that it actually is. The idea the laps actually have any great meaning at all - and therefore should be subject to critical analysis - is laughable.

Who says it is?

Maybe because none of them have said yes yet? They are all busy people, after all.
    Because it's called the F1 Driver Laps and has a big F1 sign at the top of the board.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor old JC having to pretend he likes Olly M.
  • That usernameThat username Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    I did a search for a top gear thread before posting one yesterday, must go to specsavers
    1)

Maybe not, but cars do not have to have a price tag of hundreds of thousands even million pound or to be made by a Germany company to be exciting and fun. In the news section of the show they often refer to cars that look interesting which they could test.

The three men who run it are a bit like politicians, rich blocks with top cars in their drives and out of touch

How many people found their Peugeot feature funny,? I found it boring and nearly switched off.

A PS IN the show they said they could not borrow a Ferrari as Ferrari threatened to black list anyone who loaned them a car, how would Ferrari know who loaned them the car?
  • Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whether any of us like it or not, we have to accept they have almost completely moved away from any sort of serious motoring journalism whatsoever, to the extent they now do it in a mocking/bored/couldn't care less way if they do do it e.g. in response to a viewer complaint.

as i've said before from my perspective no, TG should not return to how it was decades ago, however surely there's a happy medium to be found e.g. the episode from 2-3 weeks back that was a good balance of fun, news, entertainment and facts.

but alas those episodes are now in the minority. whilst i still watch and mainly enjoy TG, parts of it are for me wearing very thin e.g. 'races' in some far-flung land that take up most or all of an episode, star in a car and an almost complete abandonment of anything to do with so-called ordinary cars in favour of £75k+ cars.

as i say for me there could be more of a balance but let's face it we're not going to see that. they've found their successful formula so they'll likely stick to it at least for now.
    Forum Member
    whether any of us like it or not, we have to accept they have almost completely moved away from any sort of serious motoring journalism whatsoever, to the extent they now do it in a mocking/bored/couldn't care less way if they do do it e.g. in response to a viewer complaint.

as i've said before from my perspective no, TG should not return to how it was decades ago, however surely there's a happy medium to be found e.g. the episode from 2-3 weeks back that was a good balance of fun, news, entertainment and facts.

but alas those episodes are now in the minority. whilst i still watch and mainly enjoy TG, parts of it are for me wearing very thin e.g. 'races' in some far-flung land that take up most or all of an episode, star in a car and an almost complete abandonment of anything to do with so-called ordinary cars in favour of £75k+ cars.

as i say for me there could be more of a balance but let's face it we're not going to see that. they've found their successful formula so they'll likely stick to it at least for now.

It's the far flung episodes that have kept me watching as long as I had, I will probably watch the episodes that are almost exclusively based on ''challenges'' and switch over from the ones that are not.
    Nobody wants Old Top Gear as it became dull and nerdy, it was moving away from this angle that allowed New Top Gear to become successful. I cannot remember what Car they tested last week or have any interest in it's BHP or MPG.
    I do like to see Cars tested against each other and as the show has been on for over Ten years. Almost all manufacturers have upgraded to new models some many times so it's not as if the old models times are that relevant anymore. Why cant they just find a new circuit when they get the next ''Reasonably priced car''. and have an Rally cross style circuit. That may make the ''Celeb'' bit worth watching and provide an interesting test for Motor racing drivers. ''I'm bored with it as it is''.
    It maybe working today but there could be a big danger of complacency setting in. I certainly don't find it as good as it was. It's saving grace is that the BBC is making a killing out of it. Yet if ratings start falling drastically. I cannot seeing them needing much of an excuse to get rid of Jeremy Clarkson, who has the BBC ''over a barrel'' as it's his production company that sells it to the BBC and not him being employed by the BBC. And what would happen if they ditched it? ITV, SKY how could he produce a critical point of view show on a commercial channel? Would it be as crap as the American version? Which was pretty shit in my eyes.
    Forum Member

How many have since been upgraded to new models they compare a few a year they would be comparing each manufactures' new models on a new circuit?
    And how long can they compare an F1 driver in the same Car?
    And is it even the same Car that was originally used?

It is not a serious scientifically accurate show is it? As someone said it's supposed to be fun.
  • PowerLeePowerLee Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »

The crash ratings say that a 206 was as good as anything in its era

Had my 206 nearly 10 years now & been a member of the 206 forum for just as long, the amount of really badly damaged examples we see pictures of on there after accident damage where the occupants manage to walk away with just cuts & bruises is very eye opening.

The 206 is & has proven many time's by forum members who have been involved in accidents to be a very strong little car for a late 1990's design.

FWIW if your looking to buy one then go October 2001 onwards for multiplexed electrics as these have dual stage airbags ;-)
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    How many have since been upgraded to new models they compare a few a year they would be comparing each manufactures' new models on a new circuit?
    And how long can they compare an F1 driver in the same Car?
    And is it even the same Car that was originally used?

It is not a serious scientifically accurate show is it? As someone said it's supposed to be fun.

Lap times in this series ...

Lamorghini Huracan which replaces the Gallardo
    Mercedes AMG GT which replaces the SLS
    The new model Porsche Cayman GTS
    The new model Corvette Stingray

So, how many have been upgraded to new models?

Unless I've missed any, I'd say all of them! ;-)
    Forum Member
    in. I certainly don't find it as good as it was. It's saving grace is that the BBC is making a killing out of it. Yet if ratings start falling drastically. I cannot seeing them needing much of an excuse to get rid of Jeremy Clarkson, who has the BBC ''over a barrel'' as it's his production company that sells it to the BBC and not him being employed by the BBC. And what would happen if they ditched it? ITV, SKY how could he produce a critical point of view show on a commercial channel? Would it be as crap as the American version? Which was pretty shit in my eyes.
    Clarkson and Wilman sold their stake to the beeb a couple of years back.
    Forum Member

I completely agree. I like to give constructive criticism to the show. Sometimes the challenges can be entertaining and interesting but there needs to be a balance.

I though the episode a couple of weeks back and the one the week before that did strike the balance. One was silly and the other more informative.
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It comes back every seasons; more goofy or more informative?
    I watch it for the goofy stuff but i have a friend who's passionate about car models. So when there's a 'serious' review, i can watch it and i can have a nice conversation with my friend later.
    So i agree with the word balance.
    Except that for me balance would be less than 10 mins reviews per episode. And i'm sure many others would want less and a few would want more.
    So my suggestion to the BBC (i'm sure they're reading this!), is to make lots of short reviews for the web or red button or something, as the new cars come out. Then put it all into a big 2hr special at the end of the season.
    That way, we can decide individually if we want to watch. Or more accurately, how we watch it. If it's a goofy episode, i get comfortable in my sofa after eating, perhaps with a bit of scotch, and travel in my mind on an immature road trip with my virtual mates.
    If it's the review special, i can wash the dishes while i watch. Because, although i watch it for the goofy stuff, i would watch the reviews. To discuss with my friend and also, their comments (specially Clarkson) are often entertaining, a bit.
    Why a special? Because when i watch a road trip in Asia or somewhere, and then they cut it to go to a review of a boring car, it disturbs the good feeling that the goofiness and scenery brings.
    And from the BBC's point of view, it would give them one more DVD to sell; i'm sure they would like that!

Still, a good season so far: one almost boring, one good and three excellent.
This discussion has been closed.