Options

Hi de Hi

Comments

• Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    And of course the classic BBC2 idents between the programmes.

The ident roster for Afternoon Classics does include the 2010 'Rubik's cube' ID - which, given that the idents currently used in regular junctions are from the 1991-2001 era, means AC has an ident in use which is actually NEWER than the regular set! :D

But yeah, back on topic, I was quite young when Hi-de-Hi! first came round so a lot of the humour and drama went a bit over my head at the time, so it's been good to see it with fresh eyes, so to speak; I've seen all or many of the eps in the AC run (it's provided a neat little run-in to Pointless!) and I have to say I'm really quite impressed with the show, and I plan to stick with it subject to still having the afternoons free...
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    Exactly your point is so true. Good to see so many on here enjoying this and it is still very funny.

At the opposite end of the scale OFAH has been repeated on GOLD every day for past 7 years or so. It has been on soooooooooooooooo many times it has become almost unwatchable. There are only so many times you can laugh at Del falling through the bar

GOLD seem to manage to have Fawlty Towers on most days even though there are only a handful of episodes!
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOLD seem to manage to have Fawlty Towers on most days even though there are only a handful of episodes!

There are so many sitcoms GOLD, Drama or ITV 3 could be showing: Selwyn Froggit, Potter, Get Some In, Bowler, The Bounder, Bootsie and Snudge, Shelley, The Lovers, Father Dear Father. That's just a handful of sitcoms that never get a look in against the repeats of OFAH and Fawlty Towers. If BBC 2 continues the classic comedy afternoon it should certainly give Dear John its first non-pay wall television screening in decades.

I know quite a few of them will have aged...badly, but they should still get a look in.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV have loads of Comedys, but just seem interesting in showing On The Buses and George and Mildred on a loop
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    There are so many sitcoms GOLD, Drama or ITV 3 could be showing: Selwyn Froggit, Potter, Get Some In, Bowler, The Bounder, Bootsie and Snudge, Shelley, The Lovers, Father Dear Father. That's just a handful of sitcoms that never get a look in against the repeats of OFAH and Fawlty Towers. If BBC 2 continues the classic comedy afternoon it should certainly give Dear John its first non-pay wall television screening in decades.

I know quite a few of them will have aged...badly, but they should still get a look in.

Yes many will be dated, but I'd prefer them to endless quizzes and cookery programmes.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV have loads of Comedys, but just seem interesting in showing On The Buses and George and Mildred on a loop

They never had the same number of comedy hits as BBC One, but of the decent ones there's also Man About The House, Get Some In, Rising Damp, Duty Free, The Kit Curran Radio Show and The New Statesman.
  • Options
    Miss ListerMiss Lister Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Greencoats were Warners wernt they? Hi De Hi was filmed at the Warners Holiday camp at Dovercourt Essex. It closed after the series finished as it was badly damaged by the 1987 hurricane. It's all new housing on that site now.

Yes, Greencoats were Warners although my holiday camp did have Yellow coats many years before. I know they filmed Hi de hi at my camp but only some of the swimming pool scenes. By the way we were forbidden from saying the words Holiday Camp, it was always Holiday Centre. ;-)

I really do have such great memories from working there. The Greencoats all stayed in the same chalet block and if you wanted to hear what someone was saying in another chalet you would just put a glass to the wall and listen. Paper thin walls. There were no secrets put it that way. There were lots of visiting celebrity acts, sports stars etc. Some of them really did have a girl in every camp. Ooh the stories I could tell. :D
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,641
    Forum Member
    I must admit that I couldn't stand the show when it was originally aired, but am really appreciating and enjoying it now. I love the three comedies in a row that BBC2 are showing, cosy afternoon viewing .
    Isn't it just? Great for Winter viewing. Of the 3, Hi De Hi is my favourite, full of great characters.
    I used to really, really love To The Manor Born, but Audrey's OTT posh accent grates on me now.
    I love barry and Yvonne. They could almost carry a show on themselves
    Are they husband & wife or brother & sister? Barry is so camp!
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »

Would love to see all of these again, plus Sorry with Ronnie Corbett,
    Yes many will be dated, but I'd prefer them to endless quizzes and cookery programmes.
    Oh me too, gone right off quizzes and far too many cookery progs.
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Shane was possibly the worst actor to ever grace a TV screen, but that's what made his character of Ted Bovis so hilarious. His over the top delivery of his lines made him very funny to watch.
    Su Pollard was great as Peggy, and Simon Cadell's portrayal of the Hi De Hi manager was masterly understated. (Sadly he smoked 60 cigarettes a day and died of lung cancer)

They don't make comedies like this anymore more's the pity, so it is refreshing to see it repeated on BBC2 now
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last few episodes shown on BBC Two have been a bit samey for me. Too much focus on Fairbrother's personal life.

EDIT: To The Manor Born's run has ended. In its slot tomorrow is Three Up, Two Down and from Monday, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em replaces Open All Hours.
  • Options
    Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but how un pc are the others?
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last few episodes shown on BBC Two have been a bit samey for me. Too much focus on Fairbrother's personal life.

EDIT: To The Manor Born's run has ended. In its slot tomorrow is Three Up, Two Down and from Monday, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em replaces Open All Hours.

I can only vaguely remember Three Up, Two Down, don't think I liked it that much, Some Mothers though is welcome - it starts on Sunday by the way. Wonder what other comedies BBC2 have lined up for the afternoon classics slot?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who could forget Paul Shane? RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG6MbJEf9IE
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    Paul Shane was possibly the worst actor to ever grace a TV screen, but that's what made his character of Ted Bovis so hilarious. His over the top delivery of his lines made him very funny to watch.
    Su Pollard was great as Peggy,

I believe that Paul Shane had a small part in Coronation St where he was spotted by the writers who thought he would be ideal as Ted Bovis.
    I used to work at the same place as Su Pollard but don't remember her, I think she started in the Co-Op drama society, I was asked to join them but was too shy to appear on stage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The acting runs the gamut from great to grating, Madoc , Cadell and even Pollard are brilliant, Shane and Dwyer are terrible, but the turkey is Felix Bowness who got the gig because he was the studio warm up comedian at Dad's Army recordings.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I believe that Paul Shane had a small part in Coronation St where he was spotted by the writers who thought he would be ideal as Ted Bovis.
    I used to work at the same place as Su Pollard but don't remember her, I think she started in the Co-Op drama society, I was asked to join them but was too shy to appear on stage.

Yes I think that's right. In the pilot set in 1959 Ted mentions he's auditioned for a new program set in a "mucky street". Evidently a nod to where he came from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some good lines this afternoon.
    In the "undress the girl yellowcoats and dress the men competition," the girls were complaining that the campers were taking advantage of them and they had to re-inforce their bras with fuse wire.

"Yes! Fifteen amp!" said the one with the biggest boobs.
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,774
    Forum Member
    Didn't Mr Partridge get bumped off?
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    Didn't Mr Partridge get bumped off?

No he set it up with a dummy and went to live with a landlady of a pub. In reality Leslie Dwyer was getting very ill and died shortly after leaving he show.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    What I find funny is that say the 59 season was supposed storyline wise to be about 4-5 months long in real life of course it went on for years and you can tell by the aging of the younger ones.

It looks like they aged about 6 years in 4 months.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The acting runs the gamut from great to grating, Madoc , Cadell and even Pollard are brilliant, Shane and Dwyer are terrible, but the turkey is Felix Bowness who got the gig because he was the studio warm up comedian at Dad's Army recordings.

Paul Shane might not have been a good actor but he was ideal for the part he played. I suspect one of the acting greats would not be able to do it as well.

Similar applies to Leslie Dwyer, he does not have a lot to do but does it fine.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I remember when the last episode aired. My daughter was four or five - she sobbed uncontrollably and was inconsolable because Peggy finally got her yellow coat and Maplin's then closed down. I still pull her leg about it now.
  • Options
    dumpty2dumpty2 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Paul Shane might not have been a good actor but he was ideal for the part he played. I suspect one of the acting greats would not be able to do it as well.

Similar applies to Leslie Dwyer, he does not have a lot to do but does it fine.

I agree with your very good point.

Paul Shane was superb as Ted Bovis.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    Su Pollard was great as Peggy, and Simon Cadell's portrayal of the Hi De Hi manager was masterly understated. (Sadly he smoked 60 cigarettes a day and died of lung cancer)

They don't make comedies like this anymore more's the pity, so it is refreshing to see it repeated on BBC2 now

Yeah I agree, Paul did give us this classic Pebble Mill moment though. Those leather trousers on white t-shirt guy!, those backing singers!! :D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvGdOC6D1Y
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents use to love the show and have been watching the repeats.

In the post war years the Butlins camps where a God send for people food and fun in a grey partly bombed out Britain.

And in those days the holiday camps where just like Hi de Hi and folks loved every minute. As things changed and the package holiday began to appear we all changed and headed for fun in the sun and the old day of dancing, silliness and acting a fool faded away, ah me more rose tinted moments.

In the late 60's we went to a Butlins camp, can't recall which one, but my Goodness it was like PoW camp without the prospect of redcross parcels.

At least with Hi de Hi you don't have to spray the bed for bugs and eat meals swimming in grease just sit back and laugh.