✭✭
    Monday 6th December - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick-Off alongside Stan Collymore

Premier League
    Liverpool v Aston Villa - Graham Beecroft

BBC WM

Richard Wilford presenting The Football Phone-In and WM Sport from Anfield

Premier League
    Liverpool v Aston Villa - Rob Gurney and Richard Wilford (commentary)

BRMB and Gold (Birmingham)

Tom Ross presenting The Goalzone from Anfield

Premier League
    Liverpool v Aston Villa - Tom Ross and Pat Heard (commentary)

Ian Taylor, Ron Atkinson and John Aldridge are all on during the build-up. As with Blues on Saturday, commentary is on both of Orion's Birmingham stations.

Anyone know how local radio in the North-East (specifically BBC Radio Newcastle and Real Radio) covered Chris Hughton's sacking today?

I got home in time to catch some of the two weeknight phone-ins on both stations, they have those on every weeknight so I don't know what extra coverage they had earlier in the afternoon. Blame Stagecoach Newcastle for me getting home late.
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,557
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Five Live
    Liverpool v Aston Villa John Murray, Alan Green and Jan Molby (commentary)
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the details of the local radio coverage of Chris Hughton's sacking yesterday, Andy and Jimmy.

Given the North-East is well served for drivetime/early evening sports programmes, I was expecting special versions of Total Sport and The Three Legends, although it would be interesting to know if BBC Radio Newcastle or Real had a reporter outside of St James' Park to gather reaction from Magpies fans (similar to what BBC WM did when Martin O'Neill left Aston Villa earlier in the year).

talkSPORT's North-East football correspondent Graham Courtney (no stranger to a shock NUFC managerial departure) has been giving the local perspective to various shows over the past few days, although he has been doing so from his Durham home rather than from outside SJP Bryan Swanson-style.
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    Listening to BBC Radio Leicester yesterday, they had the Leicester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson on their Football Forum last night between 18:00-19:00. He was a studio guest answering questions and taking calls from supporters. It was hosted by Ed Stagg alongside Ian Stringer in the studio, and there's a podcast of the show available: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/lcff
    Forum Member
    Live TV matches have been released for February - matches likely to be on talkSPORT highlighted in bold:

01 FEB 11 West Bromwich Albion v Wigan Athletic 20:00
    02 FEB 11 Fulham v Newcastle United 20:00 (other games scheduled: Liverpool v Stoke and Blackburn v Tottenham
    05 FEB 11 Stoke City v Sunderland 12:45
    05 FEB 11 Wolverhampton Wanderers v Manchester United 17:30 (ESPN)
    06 FEB 11 West Ham United v Birmingham City 13:30
    06 FEB 11 Chelsea v Liverpool 16:00
    13 FEB 11 Manchester United v Manchester City 13:30
    13 FEB 11 Bolton Wanderers v Everton 16:00
    14 FEB 11 Fulham v Chelsea 20:00
    26 FEB 11 Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal 12:45
    26 FEB 11 Chelsea v Birmingham City 17:30 (ESPN)
    27 FEB 11 West Ham United v Liverpool 13:30
    28 FEB 11 Manchester City v Fulham 20:00
  • Germany boundGermany bound Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any info on LIVE Championship games?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really have any axe to grind with Cardiff City,but why do BBC five extra cover Cardiff City for the away game at Middlesbrough this Saturday? or any Cardiff game for that matter?

Cardiff City is THE only team that is allowed to broadcast its football league commentaries around Europe via a Sky digital box.

BBC live live Extra should look after the Championship teams that don't get covered very well by its local BBC radio station.

These are are the Championship fixtures for Saturday 11 December.

Barnsley v Sheff Utd, 15:00 covered by BBC Sheffield
    Bristol City v Derby, 15:00 both teams covered by local BBC station
    Burnley v Leeds United, 15:00 BBC lancashire don't normally cover its Home Lancashire team
    Leicester v Doncaster, 15:00 both teams covered by its Local BBC radio station?
    Middlesbrough v Cardiff, 15:00 both teams covered by its Local BBC radio station
    Norwich v Portsmouth, 15:00 both teams covered by its Local BBC radio station
    Preston v Ipswich, 15:00 BBC lancashire don't normally cover its Home Lancashire team Ipswich covered by BBC Suffolk
    Reading v Coventry, 15:00 both teams covered by its Local BBC radio station
    Scunthorpe v Nott'm Forest, 15:00 both teams covered by its Local BBC radio station
    Crystal Palace v Hull, 17:20 With none of the top flight side kicking off in the 17:20pm slot why not cover this game?
    I know its live on Sky,although I'm not sure BBC London might cover the game

Surely our BBC should cover the Burnley v Leeds United game?
    Forum Member
    There's live Heineken Cup rugby commentary at 17:45, which is why there's no live football on 5 Live Sports Extra at that time. They're doing Northampton v Cardiff.

I would argue that Middlesbrough v Cardiff is the biggest game of the day in the Championship - that's why it's been picked regardless of whether either team is covered on BBC local radio. Burnley v Leeds probably doesn't have as big appeal nationally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really have any axe to grind with Cardiff City,but why do BBC five extra cover Cardiff City for the away game at Middlesbrough this Saturday? or any Cardiff game for that matter?

Cardiff City is THE only team that is allowed to broadcast its football league commentaries around Europe via a Sky digital box.

But how many BBC license fee payers have access to those commentaries via a Sky box or other means?

I don't and I'm sure the same applies to many potential listeners who don't have Sky and live outside of South East Wales.

By the same token, you could say 5 Live Sports Extra should avoid covering London's Championship clubs when there is a choice, because BBC London is the only BBC local radio station able to broadcast Football League commentaries via the BBC Sport website - which I suspect has a wider reach than BBC Radio Wales does through Sky alone.

Obviously whether any of us think the BBC have chosen the right matches or sporting events to cover on Sports Extra this Saturday is entirely subjective, but I have no issue with them covering Cardiff City matches (or games involving any other teams for that matter) just because they also happen to be on another platform that reaches a minority of their audience.

If they had a choice between games of a similar stature, with one being on a widely available platform while the other is not - a classic example is if two British sides have make or break final group games in the Champions League on the same evening, with both playing against opponents of a similar class but only one being live on ITV - then my opinion would be different, but this is clearly not the same scenario as not everyone has a satellite dish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »
    Live TV matches have been released for February - matches likely to be on talkSPORT highlighted in bold:

02 FEB 11 Fulham v Newcastle United 20:00 (other games scheduled: Liverpool v Stoke and Blackburn v Tottenham
    05 FEB 11 Wolverhampton Wanderers v Manchester United 17:30 (ESPN)
    06 FEB 11 West Ham United v Birmingham City 13:30
    13 FEB 11 Manchester United v Manchester City 13:30
    26 FEB 11 Chelsea v Birmingham City 17:30 (ESPN)
    27 FEB 11 West Ham United v Liverpool 13:30
    28 FEB 11 Manchester City v Fulham 20:00

Thanks for posting those details. On this note, talkSPORT have updated the Live football on talkSPORT page of their website to include the following games taking place from now until New Year.
    Saturday, December 11: Newcastle United v Liverpool (5:30pm)
    Sunday, December 12: Wolves v Birmingham (1:30pm)
    Saturday, December 18: Liverpool v Fulham (5:30pm)
    Sunday, December 19: West Bromwich Albion v Wolverhampton Wanderers (12:00pm)
    Sunday, December 19: Blackpool v Tottenham Hotspur (1:30pm)
    Sunday, December 26: Fulham v West Ham United (12:00pm)
    *Wednesday, 29 December, Chelsea v Bolton, 7:45pm
    *Wednesday, 29 December, Wigan v Arsenal, 7:45pm
    *Wednesday, 29 December, Liverpool v Wolverhampton, 8:00pm
    Saturday, January 1: Birmingham City v Arsenal (5:30pm)
    Sunday, January 2: Chelsea v Aston Villa (1:30pm)

*Fixture subject to change

You would imagine they'll only be picking one of the three starred Wednesday evening games, I suspect Liverpool v Wolves could be the choice there basing that on the size of Wolves' fanbase in comparison to Bolton and Wigan's.

They also have some interesting selection decisions to come in January.

On Wednesday 5th January, there is a seven game fixture list comprising the following games: Arsenal v Manchester City, Aston Villa v Sunderland, Blackburn v Liverpool, Bolton v Wigan, Everton v Tottenham, Newcastle v West Ham and Wolves v Chelsea.

I'd expect them to go for Arsenal v Manchester City there but there are a few good games on offer.

On Sunday 16th January, talkSPORT have the choice of two big derbies - Birmingham v Aston Villa and Sunderland v Newcastle - kicking off at 12noon, with those being followed by Liverpool v Everton at 2.05pm.

So we can bank on a double header but from the earlier games which one will they pick? Would they opt to split the frequencies and do three commentaries in one day?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Scotland - Tuesday 7th December 2010

Sportsound presented by Richard Gordon from Pacific Quay with Chick Young and Billy Dodds

Bursapor v. Rangers - Al Lamont & Craig Patterson

I've noticed Al Lamont getting higer profile games this season, but for a CL game this is hardly one of Radio Scotland's "A" commentary teams!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart S. wrote: »
    I've noticed Al Lamont getting higer profile games this season, but for a CL game this is hardly one of Radio Scotland's "A" commentary teams!

But then this is a long-distance dead rubber, so you could say it is the perfect opportunity for BBC Radio Scotland to give a commentator they seem to be looking to promote his first taste of the Champions League football.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    But then this is a long-distance dead rubber, so you could say it is the perfect opportunity for BBC Radio Scotland to give a commentator they seem to be looking to promote his first taste of the Champions League football.

Good point, they definately seem to be pushing some new commentators this year, Al Lamont getting more prominence, Liam MacLeod becomming number one, David Begg not being on atall. There is also the use of Martin Dowden and David McDaid as full commentators when they had only really been used for Open All Mics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 7th December - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick-Off: Champions League Live alongside Alvin Martin

UEFA Champions League Group Stage: Matchday Six
    Manchester United v Valencia - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore (commentary), with Dom McGuinness at pitchside
    Bursaspor v Rangers - Peter Martin
    FC Twente v Tottenham Hotspur - Andy Clarke
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Difference

as regards to the Sky box
    When the following teams are Home to Cardiif

Barnsley
    Burnley
    Leeds United,
    Doncaster
    Preston
    Crystal Palace
    QPR

They will be guaranteed full live match day commentary.
    on Sky channel 0117

I have never subscribed to Sky and all I have is a Sky box with the dish, and BBC Wales comes free of charge.

I have a spare box and dish would you like me to come to your home and fit the Sky box and dish(free of charge)

So you can hear all of Cardiff City's match free of charge every match?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a very kind offer Germany bound, although I've got to say thanks but no thanks.

I know you don't have to subscribe to Sky to access basic satellite and services like Freesat provide a wide choice of channels, but at the same time many people are happy with analogue or Freeview and don't fancy having a dish fixed to the side of their house.

Should people who fall into this camp not have the option of hearing Cardiff games on BBC National Radio because those who have a satellite dish can via their TV? What about people who have Sky but choose to listen when they are at work or when they are out and about?

You could make the same argument about London Championship clubs.

I know I can hear the majority of games involving London Championship clubs via my PC on the BBC London Sport website, so do I think 5 Live shouldn't do commentaries on these games when they deem them worthy of national coverage?

I don't, because I realise not everyone is in my boat all of the time and not everyone has regular access to a fast internet connection.

Don't take this the wrong way Germany bound, I'm not having a go at you, but I do think the other side of the coin deserves a look here.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I couldn't give a shit about the Champions League, so I listened to Phil Morgan and Phil King (of BBC Wiltshire) cover the FA Cup 2nd round replay between Swindon Town and Crawley Town, as they also broadcast the coverage via Five Live Sports Xtra.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I couldn't give a shit about the Champions League, so I listened to Phil Morgan and Phil King (of BBC Wiltshire) cover the FA Cup 2nd round replay between Swindon Town and Crawley Town, as they also broadcast the coverage via Five Live Sports Xtra.

There's a blast from the past - I guess that would be the Phil King of scoring the winner in that Aston Villa v Internazionale penalty shootout fame.

Good on 5 Live Sports Extra for picking up a BBC Local Radio commentary to broadcast to the nation, it's something they should do far more often when the platform is free and they have no plans to air their own coverage in my opinion.

Judging by his Twitter, Nigel Adderley was covering this game for 5 Live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Stuart S. wrote: »
    Good point, they definately seem to be pushing some new commentators this year, Al Lamont getting more prominence, Liam MacLeod becomming number one, David Begg not being on atall. There is also the use of Martin Dowden and David McDaid as full commentators when they had only really been used for Open All Mics.

Any ideas where David Begg has gone and if he will be back?
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 Live - Tuesday

Man Utd v Valencia - Darren Fletcher, Robbie Savage & Alan Green
    Twente v Tottenham - Ian Dennis

Leyton Orient v Droylesden - Alistair Bruce-Ball
    Swindon v Crawley - Nigel Adderley
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 8th December - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick-Off: Champions League Live alongside Ray Parlour

UEFA Champions League Group Stage: Matchday Six
    Olympique Marseille v Chelsea - Sam Matterface and Micky Quinn (commentary)
    Arsenal v Partizan Belgrade - Mike Bovill
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me wrote: »
    Phil Morgan and Phil King (of BBC Wiltshire) cover the FA Cup 2nd round replay between Swindon Town and Crawley Town, as they also broadcast the coverage via Five Live Sports Xtra.

I'm allowed 3 mistakes per season, but it should be Vic Morgan, not Phil.
    shaun_d wrote: »
    5 Live - Tuesday

I'm guessing nobody was 'at' Bursaspor V Glasgow Rangers as it was a bit of a dead-rubber match?
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Mark Chapman said that there was a reporter with Rangers though I didn't hear them cross to him (though I didn't listen to the whole show)

5 Live - Wednesday

Arsenal v Partisan Belgrade Mike Ingham, Mark Lawrenson & Alan Green
    Marseille v Chelsea Conor McNamara

FC United v Brighton
    Darren Fletcher (Nigel Adderley & Kevin Gallacher on Sports Extra)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That'll be Alan Green's third match in as many days.
    It's long been the case that he's been offered the opportunity of doing both the Tuesday and Wednesday CL matches if he wants; 5live don't seem to insist on using four different commentators.
    Tonight we have him giggling as usual like a schoolgirl at anything Lawro says. On Monday we had Jan Molby just repeating and agreeing with everything Green said.
    It's about time these cosy Liverpool relationships were broken up.
  • Adam619Adam619 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    5 Live did not send anyone out to Turkey to cover Rangers but did cross to Alistair Lamont who was comentating for Radio Scotland at Half and Full Time