Options

Gavin Lawrence RIP

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Former BBC Radio Kent/GLR/Invicta/Arrow FM (Hastings) presenter died on Monday from heart failure, aged 46.

Comments

• Options
    RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Novaman wrote: »
    Former BBC Radio Kent/GLR/Invicta/Arrow FM (Hastings) presenter died on Monday from heart failure, aged 46.

That is very sad news, loved listening to Gavin Lawrence on BBC Radio Kent. Does anyone have any audio of him?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worked with Gavin in Spain for some time. We were all fully aware of his health as ofcourse was he but was also a bit gung ho about the whole thing, but that was Gavin. A very intelligent guy. Still a tremendous shock and so terribly young. RIP my friend.
  • Options
    Test ToneTest Tone Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    That's very sad news. I had the pleasure of working briefly with Gavin many years ago and remember being struck by how candid he was about his poor health even then. It seemed he liked to push himself because even though he knew he was ill, he was so passionate about radio, and he rarely said 'no'...

RIP Sir.
  • Options
    Danny H 73Danny H 73 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Shocked to hear this news - I remember Gavin working with Russell Harris on the 8-10 evening show shared between Radio Kent and BBC Essex in the late 80s.. Once Russell left, Gavin presented solo for a while..
    I'm sure I've got some audio somewhere from when he presented the show just for Essex one evening.

Also remember discovering him again on Breeze AM from Southend in the early 90s...

He always sounded so enthusiastic and clearly loved radio - Rest in peace Gavin.
  • Options
    Thames/LWTThames/LWT Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    I was at the same Kent secondary school as Gavin.He was in the year above me.He has a brother,Adrian I think.
    RIP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thames/LWT wrote: »
    I was at the same Kent secondary school as Gavin.He was in the year above me.He has a brother,Adrian I think.
    RIP.

Indeed, he does have a brother called Adrian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    http://www.broadcast.co.uk/alpa.mp3

7:15 mins of Gavin's jingles and audio.

Gavin was my Brother.
  • Options
    RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adilaw wrote: »

Gavin was my Brother.

Thanks for that, it bought back some happy memories of listening to Gavin on BBC Radio Kent in the late 80's, early 90's. Thoughts are with you at this sad time.
  • Options
    Danny H 73Danny H 73 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    adilaw wrote: »

Gavin was my Brother.

Some great memories there.. for a moment it was like I was listening to the radio doing my school homework again - used to love the 8-10 show in my teens...

You must all be so proud of what Gavin achieved and my thoughts go out to you at this time.
  • Options
    Thames/LWTThames/LWT Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Danny H 73 wrote: »

You must all be so proud of what Gavin achieved and my thoughts go out to you at this time.

Ditto
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    46! Oh how terrible.

Adrian - as you are on this forum - condolences to you and your family, so sorry.

Mark.
  • Options
    djstu2005djstu2005 Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    After a phonecall out of the blue regarding some web hosting, I had the pleasure of being taken under Gavins wing as a developer - working on the original Mixopia broadcast software.

He was a true gentleman - he introduced me to the technology of radio and gave me endless advice and encouragement!

We kept in e-mail contact after he moved to Spain - but I am deeply saddened to have read the news here.

My condolences to Adrian, and his family and friends.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I first met Gavin in my (not quite legal) radio days. I ran a station in the late seventies called Radio North Kent. Gavin was a regular listener and regularly called and wrote into the station. His father won one of the competitions under a pseudonym of "Raffle Van Oyke"
    Anyway the first time i met Gavin was when he direction-finded (yes a new word!) our transmitter site! We soon became friends and I was a regular listener when he got the role on Radio Kent and Radio London.
    On a couple of occasions when he was doing the BBC traffic news he used to follow my car through central london and give me personal traffic updates on the phone between his on air links, waggling the cameras at me as I passed each one!
    I spotted a PC application on a bulletin board called “Cart machine” well, that was history, Gavin picked it up and ran with it and he became good friends with the guys at BSI as well as their dealer.
    We regularly travelled down to Walderslade where he lived t (next door to the two famous rowing Lesbians... ) and subsequently to his flat in Hastings.
    I particularly remember one trip to see him in Spain I went with my daughter, niece and my sister , we had a great time there and Gavin was himself as usual, that smile on his face was always there!
    Adrian, am so sorry to hear about Gavin. I’ll pop in and see you at your work on the weekend to wish you well.
    Justin.
  • Options
    PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did he do a stint on Beacon 303 in the early days or am I getting confused? :confused: