Microsoft ending support for Windows XP and Windows Vista

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I see now - I meant no offence but I didn't know how old your son was. :)

One of the advantages of Linux is that it can be tried out first as a live DVD without installing it although it's slower that way. Some of the modern Linux OSes available today that are mentioned in this thread make for a relatively easy transition from Windows. In any event, I hope you find a safe solution that meets your needs.

No offence taken in the slightest and thanks for the good wishes.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    XP gains nearly a 5% market share,it's probably the previous Chinese servers they'd scratched off their list back in October got re-added .. but still .. LOL :D
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2388704/windows-market-share-figures-are-all-over-the-shop-as-xp-grows-5-percent
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd imagine that a lot of the market share is companies offloading their old kit to places like africa etc and they'll use whatever they can get
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,615
    Forum Member
    Whilst on my desktop with Windows XP, I clicked a drop down menu that had 'Windows update' option, when I clicked on it, I was asked to install activex in order to view it. What are the risks of installing activex and any idea how much memory it is likely to take. My desktop is very low on memory.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    Whilst on my desktop with Windows XP, I clicked a drop down menu that had 'Windows update' option, when I clicked on it, I was asked to install activex in order to view it. What are the risks of installing activex and any idea how much memory it is likely to take. My desktop is very low on memory.

you might be interested in this -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-update
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »

If it is a genuine MS ActiveX component then you have no problems. I hope you have good antivirus just in case it is a scam.

However, the whole point of this thread is that there are no updates for Windows XP anymore, so you are wasting your time getting Windows Update to work.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    However, the whole point of this thread is that there are no updates for Windows XP anymore, so you are wasting your time getting Windows Update to work.
    If daisydee has never actually used Windows Update before (hence it prompting for the ActiveX plugin to be installed) then there is quite likely there will still be a backlog of previous updates pending. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a look.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,615
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replies.
    Windows used to update automatically on my desktop, and I never actually noticed that it had stopped doing it. I don't use it that much, just switch it on to keep the security updated. But going through everthing at the moment to see what can be taken off the system in the hope of lightening the load.
    I checked out activex on the internet and it said to only download it if you trust the site, which is Windows, so should be Ok.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisydee.
    From your comment about the need to install activex I guess you are using Internet Explorer as your browser.
    I suggest you replace it with Firefox as your default browser.
    I use this version
    www.sourceforge.net/projects/firefoxultimate
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    daisydee.
    From your comment about the need to install activex I guess you are using Internet Explorer as your browser.
    I suggest you replace it with Firefox as your default browser.
    I use this version
    www.sourceforge.net/projects/firefoxultimate
    To use the Windows Update page on XP requires IE as it depends on ActiveX controls.

But yes for regular browsing an alternative browser would be recommended if you must stick with XP. Aside from the security implications, a rapidly growing number of websites are dropping support for IE8.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was sorting out an old XP system recently and it downloaded the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool for March 2015, are Microsoft still providing these for XP users?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was sorting out an old XP system recently and it downloaded the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool for March 2015, are Microsoft still providing these for XP users?

Apparently, yes. :confused:
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To omnidirectional
    You surely answered your own question
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member

Yes, but only until summer this year after which Win XP will become even more vulnerable:

Microsoft confirmed today for ZDNet that they will continue to create and distribute the Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows XP users until July 14, 2015. A Microsoft spokesperson said "Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool is aligned with the company's antimalware engines and signatures and as such, the removal tool will continue to be provided for Windows XP through July 14, 2015.". The clarification of policy was first reported by Computerworld on Sunday, citing sources close to the company.
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-extends-life-of-malicious-software-removal-tool-on-xp/

As indicated earlier on in this thread, there are some Linux varieties, such as LXLE and Linux Lite, that will provide a much safer replacement for Windows XP and the learning curve is not too steep.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To omnidirectional
    You surely answered your own question

I suppose so! I just wondered if it was somehow a mistake as I wasn't expecting WIndows Update to download anything new for XP.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really about 'more vulnerable'. An AV scan should already have detected the same stuff in the MS tool anyway
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly 1 year since xp was stopped being supported.
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    ...and it's now down to an operating system market share of 16.94% but that's still more than the combined Win 8/8.1 market share.

Source = http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »

A year since I bought a MAC as a result having looked at windows 8 and decided No Way.

I wish I had done so earlier.
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand all the Jargon, too old. Worried about my Windows XP 10yr old Dell DeskTop. It was getting very slow. I bought a Packard Bell Tower Windows 8.1. Intel Core 15. I have found its so different to XP but a lot faster.
    On Monday 20th April, I am to change from TT to BT broadband and Fibre Optic. I wish this new computer was the same or close to XP. I paid £340 for new Tower and Keyboard .
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and it's now down to an operating system market share of 16.94% but that's still more than the combined Win 8/8.1 market share.

Source = http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

I think the daft Start screen and the stupid decision to remove the Start menu was what stopped Windows 8/8.1 to become as popular as XP and Windows 7. I don't know what Microsoft was thinking of when they decided to remove the Start menu. If they wanted to make their operating system for tablets and desktops, they should have put the Start menu (instead of the Start screen) in the desktop edition and left the Start screen in for tablets.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those keeping XP running for the time being, one thing to consider is how long your AV provider will continue to support it. Most have committed to do so until 2016 and some beyond. Whilst XP still has a very large user base it is obviously in their interest to provide support in order to maintain these users as a revenue stream.

Also highly recommended is to ensure other software on your machine have the latest security patches / updates installed to minimise vulnerabilities. That's easier said than done but I use free Belarc Advisor (there are probably similar products just as good or better out there) to perform a PC audit that tells me if I don't have the latest s/w versions. Not only does it do a complete inventory profile of your hardware, software and network, it also tells me all my licence keys which is really useful to have as a backup.

The below list summarises what each AV provider have said about their XP support:
    AV Providers Support Information for XP
    Agnitum - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016
    AVG - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016
    Avast - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016
    Avira - Support will end on 8th April 2015, Engine and signature updates until 8th April
    Bitdefender - Support for home-user products available until January 2016; support for corporate products available until January 2017
    Bullguard - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016
    Check Point / ZoneAlarm - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016, possible will further extend if market demand remains high
    Comodo - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016
    Emsisoft - Support available until at least April 2016, possible will further extend if market demand remains high
    ESET - Support available until at least April 2017, possible will further extend if market demand remains high
    Fortinet - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016
    F-Secure - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016
    G Data - Support available until at least April 2016, possible will further extend if market demand remains high
    Ikarus - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016
    K7 Computing - No end of support announced; support until at least 2016
    Kaspersky Lab - Support will continue at least until 2018 for consumer and at least until 2nd part of 2016 for business products, possible will further extend if market demand remains high
    Kingsoft - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016
    McAfee - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016
    Microsoft (Security Essentials) - Support will end on 14th July 2015
    Microworld - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016
    Norman - Support available until at least January 2016, possible will further extend if market demand remains high
    Panda Security - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016
    Qihoo 360 - Support available until at least January, possible will further extend if market demand remains high
    Quickheal - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016
    Sophos - Support will continue at least until December 2016, possible will further extend if market demand remains high
    Symantec / Norton - Support will continue for the foreseeable future
    Tencent - No end of support announced; support available until at least 2016
    ThreatTrack / Vipre - Support available until at least April 2015, possible will further extend if market demand remains high
    Trend Micro - Support will end on 30th January 2017
    Webroot - Support available until at least April 2019, possible will further extend if market demand remains high
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    I don't understand all the Jargon, too old. Worried about my Windows XP 10yr old Dell DeskTop. It was getting very slow. I bought a Packard Bell Tower Windows 8.1. Intel Core 15. I have found its so different to XP but a lot faster.
    On Monday 20th April, I am to change from TT to BT broadband and Fibre Optic. I wish this new computer was the same or close to XP. I paid £340 for new Tower and Keyboard .

I'm not sure what the question was, but if you want your new PC to look and work like XP, just download Classic Shell for free.

http://www.classicshell.net
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think the daft Start screen and the stupid decision to remove the Start menu was what stopped Windows 8/8.1 to become as popular as XP and Windows 7. I don't know what Microsoft was thinking of when they decided to remove the Start menu. If they wanted to make their operating system for tablets and desktops, they should have put the Start menu (instead of the Start screen) in the desktop edition and left the Start screen in for tablets.

It wouldn't have been rocket science for Microsoft to have an initial start up configuration menu so you could tailor the operating system format to your own particular device and for desktop PCs to have a choice between the Metro or Classic Start options. Then everyone would have been happy.

I personally wouldn't use XP now on security grounds and Stig above is right in that there are half a dozen or more programmes now that tame Win 8/8.1 to make it look like a traditional desktop environment.