Options

BBC considering putting BBC Alba on freeview in Scotland

ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
Forum Member
✭✭
AS the title says. The BBC have just announced that the BBC trust is seeking viewers opinions on the possibility of putting BBC Alba on freeview in Scotland.

What I don't understand is they are saying it would be in place of the BBC radio stations.

So are they really saying that by removing the BBC radio stations from freeview in the evenings, what would free up enough bandwidth for an extra video stream?

That doesn't seem to add up to me. Sounds more likely that as well as removing the radio stations, they would also have to compress everything else still further to fit this in.

I just wanted some opinions of the feasibility of this proposal. IF the only way of fitting BBC Alba onto freeview was to reduce bitrates to everything else, then I for one will be objecting to this proposal.

Comments

• Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was discussed here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1150494 and it would take all national and regional BBC radios in post DSO Scotland to make about 1850kbps of space on BBC A. That is similar to the bitrate of BBC Parliament for instance.

There is an illustration here http://www.10ash.info/Regional_variations_DTT_post_DSO.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Linow Sat, BBC Alba is running at an average video bit rate of 2133kbps on satellite. So not too much extra space to find over and above the BBC radios.

http://www.linowsat.de/0282/bitrate/201311954/6736.html

I responded to the BBC Trust consultation and said that BBC Alba would be better placed timesharing on a new 302 stream using the Ofcon allocated Channel Four stream that has not been taken up by the BBC Executive.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have the Scottish people been consulted on which they would rather have, BBC Alba or BBC Radio?

more to the point, is this not something the BBC could do with the former BBC Red Button space
  • Options
    WeightyWeighty Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    have the Scottish people been consulted on which they would rather have, BBC Alba or BBC Radio?

That is what the BBC Trust are doing at the moment. I have seen a number of announcements over the last few days asking for people to contact the Trust with their views about which they would prefer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So my concern is true then.

Taking all the radio stations off frees up 1850kbps but the required bandwidth is 2133kbps.

So either BBC Alba will be compressed a lot more (with the same over compression being applied to the satellite version to ensure "platform neutrality" or all the rest of the channels on MUX A will be compressed a bit more to make room.

It sickens me the continued and gradual degredation of SD picture quality.

And just to highlight BBC's platform neutraity. I was watching the snooker yesterday. Now there's only 1 interactive stream on freeview, there was only 1 table available under the red button. So I thought I'd go and look on satellite, and lo and behold, only 1 table showing there as well. The satellite interactive has been dumbed down to match the restricted space on freeview.

I will be contacting the BBC Trust to say I am against the proposal because it will not work without also reducing the bitrate and hence picture quality of of all channels on MUX A. That's quaite seperate from the issue of whether you prefer the radio stations or BBC Alba.

We are pushed into this mess of limited space and over compression by the barmy Freeview HD service nicking a whole mux, and that in itself is going to provide an inferior HD service (but not inferior for long as the satellite version will be degraded to match)
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    No, it is caused by the selling off of channels 61 to 68 and 31 to 37. Then there is band 3 which could also accomadate a mux or two.
    I don't think there's any law preventing the commercial broadcasters from bidding for those channels, should they want to launch a high quality high bitrate service. ;)

It was only a year ago that the broadcasters were hoping to run their HD mux as an SFN.

How times change!

I share your anger at "platform neutrality" when it means needlessly wrecking the satellite service to match the crippled Freeview one.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    AS the title says. The BBC have just announced that the BBC trust is seeking viewers opinions on the possibility of putting BBC Alba on freeview in Scotland.

What I don't understand is they are saying it would be in place of the BBC radio stations.

So are they really saying that by removing the BBC radio stations from freeview in the evenings, what would free up enough bandwidth for an extra video stream?

That doesn't seem to add up to me. Sounds more likely that as well as removing the radio stations, they would also have to compress everything else still further to fit this in.

I just wanted some opinions of the feasibility of this proposal. IF the only way of fitting BBC Alba onto freeview was to reduce bitrates to everything else, then I for one will be objecting to this proposal.

Whoopee. That'll please the 50 people in the Hebridies who still think it is a valid language.
    It's not like Welsh, which is spoken quite a lot in north Wales... Gaelic is a language used primarily in the far Noth of Scotland by few people. It is not used in cities or popular culture.

Minority interest only. Why give it a channel??
  • Options
    quin_the_eskimoquin_the_eskimo Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will have to prise Radio 4 from my cold dead hands to launch this toss. Needless to say I have told the BBC Trust I do not want it.
  • Options
    egalegal Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    ProDave wrote: »
    And just to highlight BBC's platform neutraity. I was watching the snooker yesterday. Now there's only 1 interactive stream on freeview, there was only 1 table available under the red button. So I thought I'd go and look on satellite, and lo and behold, only 1 table showing there as well. The satellite interactive has been dumbed down to match the restricted space on freeview.
    I think you may be mistaken there. When I checked, the two tables were available. That blue menu icon is a pain, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    egal wrote: »
    I think you may be mistaken there. When I checked, the two tables were available. That blue menu icon is a pain, though.

Yes, they are tonight, but most definitely there was only one table on there yesterday. Perhaps there were too many other sports being covered.

The Sky red button menu's are a right PITA. I much preferred using freeview where you can access the interactive streams as a normal channel, and channel up or channel down would have toggled between the two tables.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone wants to make their views about this known to the BBC, the consultation is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/consultations/departments/bbc/bbc-alba-review/consultation/consult_view

Let them know what you think by 18th January.
  • Options
    slackereconomyslackereconomy Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheers for the link prodave, this insanity must be stopped!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    hardylane wrote: »
    Whoopee. That'll please the 50 people in the Hebridies who still think it is a valid language.
    It's not like Welsh, which is spoken quite a lot in north Wales... Gaelic is a language used primarily in the far Noth of Scotland by few people. It is not used in cities or popular culture.

Minority interest only. Why give it a channel??

Most Gaelic speakers in Scotland are in Glasgow I believe which is the biggest city in Scotland
  • Options
    ejstubbsejstubbs Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    fife wrote: »
    Most Gaelic speakers in Scotland are in Glasgow I believe

I'm not sure it's quite got to that stage yet; the Bord na Gaidhlig says: Gaelic is still strongest in the Western Isles and West Highlands. However, there are a significant number of Gaelic speakers in some of Scotland’s cities such as Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inverness and almost half of the Gaelic speakers in Scotland now stay out with the traditional heartland areas

The balance seems to be shifting towards the major cities, but it's not quite there yet. Those in the cities who speak Gaelic almost certainly do so as a second language. In any case, the number of Gaelic speakers has been on a continuous decline for at least the last 100 years. At the 2001 census the figure was 58,652. It doesn't seem that there is anyone left who speaks Gaelic as their only language. Note that that figure is 1/10th of the absolute number of people in Wales who speak Welsh; the proportion of native language speakers is 1.2% in Scotland vs 20.8% in Wales.

There are probably more people in Glasgow who speak Italian or Chinese - including many for whom it is their first language - than Gaelic. I wouldn't be surprised if that was true for the whole of Scotland, in fact. I have Italian as a second language and I would actually quite like to be able to watch Italian language TV occasionally. If I really wanted to do it then I could get myself a satellite dish and watch RAI. Gaelic speakers can do the same for BBC Alba. It doesn't seem reasonable to deny the vast majority of English speakers their radio programmes when there is very little to stop people who want Gaelic programmes from getting BBC Alba on satellite (which a lot of people in the Highlands and the Hebrides have anyway) or the Internet (which should suit the 'voluntary' Gaelic speakers in the major cities). Don't forget that there is already Gaelic programming on both BBC and ITV terrestrial channels in Scotland (and that same programming makes up a noticeable proportion of BBC Alba's content).

There is a statistic put forward that BBC Alba was watched by 650,000 people per week during its first two months of broadcasting. It truly does seem scarcely credible that more than half a million people watched a channel which they couldn't understand! BBC Alba doesn't seem to appear on BARB's viewing figures for some reason, so it's difficult to know how many viewers they get now. However, since the "Other Viewing" category on BARB only has a total weekly reach of about 50,000, that suggests that BBC Alba cannot possibly be getting anything like those audience figures. (For the weeks immediately after the launch of BBC Alba the "Other Viewing" category was actually lower than it is at the moment.)
  • Options
    slackereconomyslackereconomy Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apart from gaelic programming on stv, bbc, bbc radio and bbc alba on satellite, there already is a part time gaelic channel on freeview up here! for one percent of the population...many of whom probably wouldn't watch the channel any way! would not be the least suprised if the snp clowns are the driving force behind this. do italians have to put up with third rate latin programming? insanity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ejstubbs wrote: »
    There is a statistic put forward that BBC Alba was watched by 650,000 people per week during its first two months of broadcasting. It truly does seem scarcely credible that more than half a million people watched a channel which they couldn't understand!
    You have to understand that while the spoken language on Alba is Gaelic, it has English subtitles. So yes I as an English only speaker occasionally watch it as they do have some programs that interest me.

If they had a selectable English or Gaelic sound track, that would be even better.

Don't miss understand me, I am not against BBC Alba as a channel. I merely object to it being put on freeview at the expense of all the radio stations and probably at the expense of reduced picture quality.

IF after DSO a mux 7 appears (if one or more of the broadcasters bid for some of the freed up bandwidth) then I would welcome Alba to freeview. Until or unless that happens it should stay off freeview, there's simply not enough space.
  • Options
    HectorHector Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listen to Radio Scotland and Radio 4 quite a lot via freeview in the bedroom and in the kitchen and although indeed available on all radio platforms, would be very irritated if BBC radio were removed. Have commented appropriately on the consultation website.
    Despite the presence of TopUp TV, is there not enough free space during the night to broadcast then, and people who were interested could timeshift programmes? If available, I'd have thought that together with the regular TeleG hour, and a scattering of Gaelic programmes throughout the week, that would be very satisfactory.
    Did start to learn Gaelic about 14 years ago via the 'Speaking Our Language' series, but gave up. Still know a few phrases which are useful to stop street salesmen in foreign holiday destinations from harrassing you, because you're speaking a language they don't understand!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Parliament are now showing a live debate in the Scottish Parliament on access to BBC Alba on Freeview. The main objections are losing digital only radio stations like Radio 6 & 7, Asian Network that are only available otherwise on DAB, because DAB has poor reception in Scotland.

The proposal would take down all BBC network radio on Freeview while Alba was on the air in the evenings in Scotland.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    because DAB has poor reception in Scotland.

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that DAB has a poor reception in Scotland. I have a small Pure DAB radio and I get a great reception here in Ayrshire. I have also taken it to Glasgow and Edinburgh where the reception was no different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3toons wrote: »
    I'm not sure what gave you the impression that DAB has a poor reception in Scotland. I have a small Pure DAB radio and I get a great reception here in Ayrshire. I have also taken it to Glasgow and Edinburgh where the reception was no different.

I was only reporting what was being said by the MSPs. They may be wrong. I was under the impression that large areas of Scotland were not served by DAB, especially outside urban areas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't they use the new slot for sale?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I was only reporting what was being said by the MSPs. They may be wrong. I was under the impression that large areas of Scotland were not served by DAB, especially outside urban areas.

You are perfectly correct Ray Cathode. As you can see from this DAB coverage area map here http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/images/coverage-map.gif, the best DAB reception in Scotland is confined mostly to the central belt and the eastern coast thus leaving many areas in the highlands and west with little/no reception.

This does therefore leave the MSPs with a dilemma - BBC Alba or DAB stations?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jmoo wrote: »
    Why can't they use the new slot for sale?

That is a commercial mux (or will be 100% after 2012). They could use the C4 slot which was guaranteed by Ofcon for the HD reorganisation but has not been taken up by the BBC because "it is not in the best interests of BBC viewers". At least that has PSB status and will be available in Freeview Lite areas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Parliament are now showing a live debate in the Scottish Parliament on access to BBC Alba on Freeview. The main objections are losing digital only radio stations like Radio 6 & 7, Asian Network that are only available otherwise on DAB, because DAB has poor reception in Scotland.

The proposal would take down all BBC network radio on Freeview while Alba was on the air in the evenings in Scotland.

Did anyone in the debate also raise my other objection, that removing the radio stations alone does not free enough bandwidth, so the remaining tv channels would need further compression as well to make room for Alba on freeview?

P.S where I am, DAB is patchy to say the least. If (when) Analogue radio switch off happens, I'll need to keep a stock of cd's in my car, or listen to the hum of the engine instead.