Options

LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Why on earth is there no SD card slot on this phone? i was thinking of maybe getting one, but with no way to expand memory, then it is certainly a no from me.

In this day and age where people store more and more content on their phone, music, video, pictures 8Gb is just not enough.

Dropbox or any other online storage, I thought i would miss the expandable storage but i dont.
    Also saw that this phone uses a micro sim instead of a normal sim, i know a few people who have had problem with these micro sim cards in their Iphones.

Had many phones using the micro sim an had no issues nor know anyone who has.

Oh well, back to looking at what to get.
    Just read that battery on the Nexus is sealed into the phone, so it can't be changed. If I am going to pay £230 for a phone I want to be able to replace the battery if needed or to get a spare.

It can be replaced like the iphone one.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I too thought I would miss an SD card slot. I don't. I'm just more selective about what I keep on my phone and I also make use if Google music.

Don't get me wrong I'd love 32gb or 64 but its not a deal breaker for me.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Dropbox or any other online storage, I thought i would miss the expandable storage but i dont.

That is ok if you got unlimited internet on the network and the files you want are in drop box.

My 16GB card is over half full of music and the the memory on the phone is over a quarter full. Ok most of the stuff on the phone memory is stuff I took pictures of that can be deleted.

Doing away with expandable storage is going backwards.
    Had many phones using the micro sim an had no issues nor know anyone who has.

A couple of people at work have had a problem with the sim connections for some reason.
    It can be replaced like the iphone one.

Not on the spot. If I was say out somewhere for a couple of days and wanted to change the battery, it is not easy to get at.
    True, it been a while since I done that, but I will want to do it again it the summer when I go and visit people.
    i know I can charge the battery up where I am, but I prefer to change the battery.
    i still got two batteries for my old widlfire, I have not got a spare one for the Huawei as it was only a temp phone.

These phones seems to give you less for more, no SD card slot, no quick change battery, i also notice, not able to get rid of the google bar, no more than five screens, I can add screens even on my cheap Huawei.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also saw that this phone uses a micro sim instead of a normal sim, i know a few people who have had problem with these micro sim cards in their Iphones.

What utter nonsence, I have been using a Micro SIM for almost 3 years with no issues, it's just the same chip with less plastic.

Also I hate to break it to you but pretty much all high end phones use the micro SIM now, Apple have even went one step further and use a nano SIM.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    That is ok if you got unlimited internet on the network and the files you want are in drop box.

My 16GB card is over half full of music and the the memory on the phone is over a quarter full. Ok most of the stuff on the phone memory is stuff I took pictures of that can be deleted.

A couple of people at work have had a problem with the sim connections for some reason.

Not on the spot. If I was say out somewhere for a couple of days and wanted to change the battery, it is not easy to get at.
    True, it been a while since I done that, but I will want to do it again it the summer when I go and visit people.
    i know I can charge the battery up where I am, but I prefer to change the battery.
    i still got two batteries for my old widlfire, I have not got a spare one for the Huawei as it was only a temp phone.

These phones seems to give you less for more, no SD card slot, no quick change battery, i also notice, not able to get rid of the google bar, no more than five screens, I can add screens even on my cheap Huawei.

This phone is clearly not for you so probably best to stop stressing about it now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    This phone is clearly not for you so probably best to stop stressing about it now.

Nope, clearly not, but sadly this is the way it seems to be going, i wonder how long it will be before no phone have expandable storage or removable batteries?

Maybe I should go back to a bog standard phone, will miss having a smart phone in some ways, but I would get used to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    What utter nonsence, I have been using a Micro SIM for almost 3 years with no issues, it's just the same chip with less plastic.

I know what a micro sim is, I even cut a normal sim down for a mate, strange thing is he have had no problem with that one.
    Just going by what I have been told.

Also I hate to break it to you but pretty much all high end phones use the micro SIM now, Apple have even went one step further and use a nano SIM.

Apple don't even want you to have a sim what so ever, which is a stupid idea. Makes no difference to me as I have not been abroad for years and certainly not with a mobile phone, but I do know some people who do and get a sim in the country they are visiting and use that.

I have never taken the sim out of my phone since I have had it, nor the wildfire until i broke it. the next time the sim will come out is when I change phones, that is if I stay with Vodafone.

Will these so called high end phones also have no way to add extra storage, is that the way it is going that we have to reply on the cloud to store our data because phone manufactures want to cut down on a few quid and not stick a card slot in?

How long will it be for that includes tablets as well? not that I use a tablet.

i know they are trying to make phones thinner, but sometimes a thin phone is not nice to hold.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I now find the Nano Sim ludicrous.
    Surely the newer Micro Sim was more sensibly small.
    I doubt they even saved 1 gram so why the need to change, even if the Apple promoted choice was best for the user.

I say that the standard Mini Sim is the most practical. I also find micro SD cards a bit small and fragile.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I now find the Nano Sim ludicrous.
    Surely the newer Micro Sim was more sensibly small.
    I doubt they even saved 1 gram so why the need to change, even if the Apple promoted choice was best for the user.

I say that the standard Mini Sim is the most practical. I also find micro SD cards a bit small and fragile.

Apple constantly try to minimise the size of all the other components in their phones so they can use as much space as possible for battery. It's the design battle between trying to keep the phone small, yet keep upping the battery capacity. Frankly I'd rather have phones that are a bit less slim, maybe with a rounded back, and larger batteries.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing that was putting me off ordering one was that it is "only" 16GB. When i looked at storage on my 32GB Xperia S i had 10(and a bit)GB free out of the 25GB that is usable and out of the 11GB of music i have on it at least 8GB was stuff i never listen to, it was there "just in case".

With this in mind i ordered a 16GB Nexus 4.
  • Options
    Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    One thing that was putting me off ordering one was that it is "only" 16GB. When i looked at storage on my 32GB Xperia S i had 10(and a bit)GB free out of the 25GB that is usable and out of the 11GB of music i have on it at least 8GB was stuff i never listen to, it was there "just in case".

...And you lived happily ever after. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    ...And you lived happily ever after. :D

LOL i will if it ever gets here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    gavo360 wrote: »
    I think for the price it's the best sim free phone you can get. The next best phone will be the galaxy S4 but that will be the best part of £500 sim free.

Ordered the 16gb model this morning. If I don't get on with it it seems I should be able to get pretty much what I pay for it on eBay.

Fingers crossed it lives up to the hype!
  • Options
    Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hutchingsp wrote: »
    Ordered the 16gb model this morning. If I don't get on with it it seems I should be able to get pretty much what I pay for it on eBay.

Fingers crossed it lives up to the hype!

You won't be disappointed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With all the tails of backs exploding if you look at it in the wrong way or you fart near it how many people have not had a single problem with it?
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can take off the google bar. Just download and install Apex Launcher. It still maintains the stock Android look but you are able to customize it, change the dock, the transitions, the screens, and yes can take away the google bar. I'd done just that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So another £40 for 16Gb extra, where if they put a Sd slot in there, it would have cost you a fiver if that for a Transflash card, sorry, micro SD card.

Sure the built in memory will be faster than a SD card, but nice to have the choice,.

The phone looks nice and the reviews have been pretty good, display is good, in fact I have read it is better than the Iphone. Camera is not as good as it could be according to reviews and seeing some of the photos I can see why. but then you don't buy a phone to replace a camera, saying that the one on my Huawei is not bad, pictures need a bit of tweaking in photoshop mind you.

If this phone had a SD slot, then I think it would certainly be on my list, but that is the one major thing I got a problem with and I certainly will nto pay another £40 for another 8GB.

sorry LG/google, but this you will use the cloud crap is not for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all the tails of backs exploding if you look at it in the wrong way or you fart near it how many people have not had a single problem with it?

i have not heard about that, not good.
    slick1two wrote: »
    You can take off the google bar. Just download and install Apex Launcher. It still maintains the stock Android look but you are able to customize it, change the dock, the transitions, the screens, and yes can take away the google bar. I'd done just that.

Saying that I can get rid of the google bar on my Huawei, but it did not give me any more screen space, so was a waste of time really. i don't use Google search even on a Android phone, I normally use something like duck duck go.

But still limited to five screens? not that I have used more than four screens yet.

i do think that my best move is to buy a phone and then go sim only and yes the price of the nexus for what it offers is good, certainly for a unlocked phone.
    I will have a look around for another couple of weeks and see what is available, because I am not going to upgrade at the moment. I don't want to get another 18 month or 12 month contract with vodafone at the moment.
  • Options
    denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Apex Launcher you get nine homescreens.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what a micro sim is, I even cut a normal sim down for a mate, strange thing is he have had no problem with that one.
    Apple don't even want you to have a sim what so ever, which is a stupid idea.
    An in north america its quite common not to have a SIM yet they manage perfectly fine without one.
    Will these so called high end phones also have no way to add extra storage, is that the way it is going that we have to reply on the cloud to store our data because phone manufactures want to cut down on a few quid and not stick a card slot in?
    Nothing to saving money on manufacturing costs, all about pushing users to the cloud.
    How long will it be for that includes tablets as well? not that I use a tablet.
    Nexus 7 and ipad don't have expandable storage.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, web site is still showing delivery date of 13th Feb but guess what popped onto my desk this morning ?

The only annoying thing was that they didn't put my name on the packaging which is a pain when you are in a office of 3,000 people.
  • Options
    tinshedtinshed Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Mmmm decisions decisions. CEX are offering £344 cash for the Nexus 4 nice £56 profit. Then just have to wait 2-3 weeks if i order another one.
  • Options
    IC89IC89 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine came today, very happy with it.

Will be staying in its box for a while thought because I can't upgrade my contract until the end of February, and I want a new sim to go with the new phone at the same time.

(Warped logic I know with a nifty bit of kit sitting in a box but I have my ways!)

You do not know how many times I came close to blowing £400 or so on a Siii thinking this would never come back in stock :)
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Well, web site is still showing delivery date of 13th Feb but guess what popped onto my desk this morning ?

The only annoying thing was that they didn't put my name on the packaging which is a pain when you are in a office of 3,000 people.

Me too! Been moping around, not getting an update. Go down to the canteen for lunch, and the ops guy hands me a parcel! Woohoo!!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Why have Google used TNT to deliver in the UK?
    Utterly useless, because the driver could not understand 'TNT ----> number 26' pointing to next door I have a 40 mile round trip to collect.
    Grrrr!