Glee star Cory Monteith found dead in Canada hotel, aged 31

1789101113»

Comments

• tommytigertommytiger Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    confuddled wrote: »
    vile rant? please, i share a view , in question form, that does not subscribe to the 'oh the poor victim of drug abuse' mentality that you and others hold and its's a vile rant.
    here's what i find vile.....making excuses for addiction !

My partner's mother is an alcoholic, been to rehab 3 times, I live with it.

I don't make excuses, some of us live with it and understand.
  • confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tommytiger wrote: »
    My partner's mother is an alcoholic, been to rehab 3 times, I live with it.

I don't make excuses, some of us live with it and understand.

you see the issue with people like you is that you jump to conclusions that people like me have never 'lived with it'
    i've seen a man, who put a bottle or his kids in front of him would opt for the bottle every time. who never gave a shit about his wife or any other human being for that matter. there comes a time when any modicum of sympathy is driven out of you. i understand very well, i have obviously just came to different conclusions than you have.
    Forum Member
    you see the issue with people like you is that you jump to conclusions that people like me have never 'lived with it'
    i've seen a man, who put a bottle or his kids in front of him would opt for the bottle every time. who never gave a shit about his wife or any other human being for that matter. there comes a time when any modicum of sympathy is driven out of you. i understand very well, i have obviously just came to different conclusions than you have.

The problem with 'people like you' is you hear a government point of view - you become brainwashed by them to feel that drugs = evil.

Drugs are not evil or bad. Your perception is warped.
  • confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with 'people like you' is you hear a government point of view - you become brainwashed by them to feel that drugs = evil.

Drugs are not evil or bad. Your perception is warped.

Well they sure had a good outcome for Cory Monteith did they not :rolleyes:
    government? now i'm thinking your on drugs....i hold the views i do because i've been brainwashed ?:confused:
    Forum Member
    Well they sure had a good outcome for Cory Monteith did they not :rolleyes:
    government? now i'm thinking your on drugs....i hold the views i do because i've been brainwashed ?:confused:

If the correct information on dosages was available, there would be less people overdosing. But we are treated like children and instead told drugs are evil. They aren't.

Every Friday and Saturday millions of people in the UK use alcohol to get high, to get trashed, drunk.

They use alcohol like a drug. Apparently that's socially acceptable.

Hypocrites.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    Part of me wonders if he would still be here now had he not got involved with Glee:(

He nearly died aged 19 so I suspect no, he wouldn't have been alive had he not found acting and gained a new direction and focus.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB - This what I cannot understand, the sanctimonious types who preach like they've never done anything wrong and their shit don't stink. Most of us are one pay cheque away from homelessness and I believe most of us are one drink away from using alcohol as a crutch when things go bad.

Some people can use alcohol/drugs recreationally and never have a problem, other people (with addictive personality disorder) too much is never enough.

It's not always the case that an addict has to feel 'bad' or they are depressed before getting drunk/high, often it's the opposite, they feel great and in a good mood, they feel taking drink/drugs will increase their enjoyment.

A lot of addiction is based on association, what someone associates the addiction with. To most of us, heroin would be something to avoid, but for someone who has tried it and liked it, it's something they are comfortable with, it's familiar.

At times of enjoyment and at times of stress we all go back to what makes us comfortable, what we are familiar with.
    That's one of the best posts to sum up addiction I've read.
    Psychosis wrote: »
    That's an insulting comparison. People don't choose to take diabetic pills just to see what it's like and then tragically become addicted to being diabetic. Diabetes is an illness that the majority of people, especially young people, cannot help.

Thirteen is MORE than old enough to take responsibility for not taking drugs. Thirteen year olds know the dangers of drugs very well.
    I totally disagree. At 13 I was prescribed a heroin substitute by the family doctor. It was a long time ago, we had zero knowledge of the dangers of drugs and the Doctor was regarded as God.
    They made me feel brilliant, and joy of joys I could get 60 more every month, no examinations, no medicals. I didn't realise I was addicted until my mid 20's when I ran out and within a day I couldn't talk or function properly. The withdrawal was horrific.
    It took me many more years to eventually wean myself down. Fundamentally people drink or take drugs because they initially make you feel good. Prescription drugs account for more overdoses than illegal ones, but there isn't the same stigma attached, because, presumably, they were prescribed for an illness so people cut you more slack
    vile rant? please, i share a view , in question form, that does not subscribe to the 'oh the poor victim of drug abuse' mentality that you and others hold and its's a vile rant.
    here's what i find vile.....making excuses for addiction !

Then, with respect and noting that you've been around it ,your understanding of the nature of addiction is abysmal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    That's one of the best posts to sum up addiction I've read.

I totally disagree. At 13 I was prescribed a heroin substitute by the family doctor. It was a long time ago, we had zero knowledge of the dangers of drugs and the Doctor was regarded as God.
    They made me feel brilliant, and joy of joys I could get 60 more every month, no examinations, no medicals. I didn't realise I was addicted until my mid 20's when I ran out and within a day I couldn't talk or function properly. The withdrawal was horrific.
    It took me many more years to eventually wean myself down. Fundamentally people drink or take drugs because they initially make you feel good. Prescription drugs account for more overdoses than illegal ones, but there isn't the same stigma attached, because, presumably, they were prescribed for an illness so people cut you more slack.

Then, with respect and noting that you've been around it ,your understanding of the nature of addiction is abysmal.

Great post Tally, I hope you're fully recovered now. You are quite right, prescription drugs (and alcohol for that matter) are responsible for as many deaths (and more in the case of alcohol) in the UK than drugs overdoses but they don't have the same reaction because the media peddles the image of some seedy, unwashed, lanky greasy haired addict which, in a large majority of cases, is very far from the truth.

Drugs (legal and illegal):
    There were 1,772 male and 880 female drug poisoning deaths (involving both legal and illegal drugs) registered in 2011, a 6 per cent decrease since 2010 for males and a 3 per cent increase for females.
    In 2011 the drug poisoning mortality rate was 63.8 deaths per million population for males and 29.9 deaths per million population for females, both were unchanged compared with 2010.
    The number of male drug misuse deaths decreased by 14 per cent from 1,382 in 2010 to 1,192 in 2011; female deaths increased by 3 per cent from 402 in 2010 to 413 in 2011.
    The male mortality rate from drug misuse decreased significantly between 2010 and 2011 (from 50.8 to 43.4 deaths per million population), but remained stable for females (14.4 deaths per million population in 2011).
    Deaths involving heroin/morphine decreased by 25 per cent compared with 2010, but they were still the substances most commonly involved in drug poisoning deaths (596 deaths in 2011).
    The highest mortality rate from drug misuse was in 30 to 39-year-olds (110.0 and 30.2 deaths per million population for males and females respectively).

Alcohol:
    In 2011 there were 8,748 alcohol-related deaths in the UK, 42 fewer than in 2010 (8,790).
    Males aged 30 and over are significantly more likely than females to die of alcohol-related causes. Over 66% of all alcohol-related deaths in the UK in 2011 were among males.
    Age-specific alcohol-related death rates were highest for those aged 55 to 59 and lowest for those less than 30.
    Alcohol-related death rates varied between English regions and tended to be highest in the North and lowest in the East of England over the last ten years.
    Female alcohol-related death rates were higher in Wales than in England, in 2011.
    Between 2007 and 2010 male alcohol-related death rates were significantly higher in Wales than in England. A three year decline in male death rates in Wales means this difference is no longer significant.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Great post Tally, I hope you're fully recovered now. You are quite right, prescription drugs (and alcohol for that matter) are responsible for as many deaths (and more in the case of alcohol) in the UK than drugs overdoses but they don't have the same reaction because the media peddles the image of some seedy, unwashed, lanky greasy haired addict which, in a large majority of cases, is very far from the truth.

Drugs (legal and illegal):

Alcohol:

Playing devil's advocate you could argue that's because of the ready availability of alcohol and there is the alcoholic cliche of the unkempt homeless old guy when I think a problem that is being mentioned is bored housewives having a glass of wine a day is as much a reality of alcholism is that. That said I don't think other drugs should be made more widely available but there is an argument for de-criminalisation (i.e their illegality makes them more dangerous and unpleasant for the addicts to take increases their social disfunctionality and puts money into the pockets of some very unpleasant people plus causes exploitation of poorer people in other parts of the world).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    Playing devil's advocate you could argue that's because of the ready availability of alcohol and there is the alcoholic cliche of the unkempt homeless old guy when I think a problem that is being mentioned is bored housewives having a glass of wine a day is as much a reality of alcholism is that.
    That said I don't think other drugs should be made more widely available but there is an argument for de-criminalisation (i.e their illegality makes them more dangerous and unpleasant for the addicts to take increases their social disfunctionality and puts money into the pockets of some very unpleasant people plus causes exploitation of poorer people in other parts of the world).

You don't need to play devil's advocate though, they're both dangerous, that's the point but drugs and their misuse get "glamourised" and sensationalised far more than alcohol does.
    Forum Member
    You don't need to play devil's advocate though, they're both dangerous, that's the point but drugs and their misuse get "glamourised" and sensationalised far more than alcohol does.

Binge drink UK - that's what our nation is known for around the world (I'm an ex-pat living in South Korea). Binge drinking is using alcohol like it's a drug, the sole purpose in binge drinking is to get high off alcohol. Alcohol is so accepted in society it gets it's own word to describe the 'high', being drunk. To be 'high' is associated with drugs and drugs are evil (remember, your government wants you to think that way). Being drunk is OK though.

Oh dear, Houston we have a problem.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same here in Oz. Our footballers aren't having a good time unless they are totally trashed. Mad Monday, first Monday at the end of season is considered poor if there isn't footage of a drunk player in a tutu urinating against a pub wall at 11am.

This has led to a number of girlfriends being physically assaulted and early this year a player dying tragically because he jumped off a hotel, in Las Vegas, and missed the tree he was aiming for.

These players are treated as deadset Legands until it affected their game or they retired, then they become disposable and get chucked out with the trash and forgotten about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Binge drink UK - that's what our nation is known for around the world (I'm an ex-pat living in South Korea). Binge drinking is using alcohol like it's a drug, the sole purpose in binge drinking is to get high off alcohol. Alcohol is so accepted in society it gets it's own word to describe the 'high', being drunk. To be 'high' is associated with drugs and drugs are evil (remember, your government wants you to think that way). Being drunk is OK though.

Yep, completely agree. I was lucky in that when I was a teenager (in the 1980s) my parents thought it was far more sensible for me to "learn" about alcohol and my tolerance for it by allowing me to try it at home (from age 15 upwards) and not to wait until I was 18 and going out for the first time and getting utterly plastered.
    I think I've been out of my mind drunk on about five occasions in my whole life and, these days, I rarely drink at all.
    Forum Member
    Yep, completely agree. I was lucky in that when I was a teenager (in the 1980s) my parents thought it was far more sensible for me to "learn" about alcohol and my tolerance for it by allowing me to try it at home (from age 15 upwards) and not to wait until I was 18 and going out for the first time and getting utterly plastered.
    I think I've been out of my mind drunk on about five occasions in my whole life and, these days, I rarely drink at all.

Think why you're happy/depressed, will alcohol really improve the situation in the long term? No.

I wish you well. x
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know that this is going to sound like a moot point, but anyway, I do think it is important to highlight that there IS a difference between the 'purpose' of alcohol and what are more commonly referred to as 'drugs'. Let me clear - I know very well that alcohol is a drug. BUT, and this is important, the product on sale is not 'alcohol', it is alcoholic beverage. As in, it's a beverage that happens to contain alcohol, and if you consume too much of that then certain effects are going to happen.

With 'drugs' drugs, however, there is no ambiguity. They exist, and people use them, solely and purposefully for 'getting high'. THAT is why they are not on general commercial sale.

Again, I know it's a moot point at the end of the day where an addict is concerned, because the crucial thing is that whatever it is, it may well likely end up killing them. It's just that I don't like this constant 'comparison' argument that the available presence of alcohol in society is as deleterious as that of 'drugs' drugs, and that therefore there is an anomaly between the legality of one and not the other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think why you're happy/depressed, will alcohol really improve the situation in the long term? No.

I wish you well. x

Not sure what the relevance is to me personally as I've never used alcohol to make me happy or drunk it when I'm not but thanks :)
    It's just that I don't like this constant 'comparison' argument that the available presence of alcohol in society is as deleterious as that of 'drugs' drugs, and that therefore there is an anomaly between the legality of one and not the other.

I have no problem with the legal issue, my problem is that alcohol is lauded and drugs are derided (at the most basic level) when both of them carry serious risks of long term addiction and death.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that this is going to sound like a moot point, but anyway, I do think it is important to highlight that there IS a difference between the 'purpose' of alcohol and what are more commonly referred to as 'drugs'. Let me clear - I know very well that alcohol is a drug. BUT, and this is important, the product on sale is not 'alcohol', it is alcoholic beverage. As in, it's a beverage that happens to contain alcohol, and if you consume too much of that then certain effects are going to happen.

With 'drugs' drugs, however, there is no ambiguity. They exist, and people use them, solely and purposefully for 'getting high'. THAT is why they are not on general commercial sale.

Again, I know it's a moot point at the end of the day where an addict is concerned, because the crucial thing is that whatever it is, it may well likely end up killing them. It's just that I don't like this constant 'comparison' argument that the available presence of alcohol in society is as deleterious as that of 'drugs' drugs, and that therefore there is an anomaly between the legality of one and not the other.

Except they do exist beyond getting high - cocaine, morphine, heroin and their various by products have a long history of use in pain killers. Marauana has helped a lot of cancer patients. It's all ambiguous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except they do exist beyond getting high - cocaine, morphine, heroin and their various by products have a long history of use in pain killers. Marauana has helped a lot of cancer patients. It's all ambiguous.
    Definitely and a good point. I agree with it. Medical marijuana has been a huge benefit to loads of people and now our medical practitioners turn a blind eye to those taking it for pain relief. I wish we were like Holland and it was legally prescribed.
    ( :o We're going a long way off Cory Monteith, aren't we? Sorry)

My point was that, on taking my pills at 13 I was psychologically hooked after about 3 tablets. They made me feel wonderful, like being drunk without the hangover.
    Did I need them after a few months? Hell no, but as they altered my mind for the better (IMO), I took them for years until I was physically addicted as well..

It wouldn't happen today because those particular tablets have been banned in this country, but I took them, like any other addict, because I loved the high. Not because I needed them. But until recently the notion of prescription drug addiction wasn't addressed or even mentioned.

I'm not sure, even today, if I had some that I wouldn't take them. I just associate them with feeling great. :( Scary thought.

I hope that, as with smoking, which has seen a huge decline in my lifetime that drugs become as socially unacceptable. Because as Tommy pointed out, when you're depressed or anxious, you turn to the thing that blots it out.

Rehab has one of the lowest success rates in keeping off alcohol and drugs. The number of people who relapse is staggering. I applaud anyone who can detox AND stay clean and sober. It's a constant struggle for many and I would never trivialise the sheer effort it takes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lea Michele has tweeted thanks to her fans for their support along with a cute photo of her and Cory. Poor girl, can't imagine how she must be feeling
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lea Michele has tweeted thanks to her fans for their support along with a cute photo of her and Cory. Poor girl, can't imagine how she must be feeling

My heart breaks for her.
  • LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a beautiful, lovely picture of them.
    So sad. :(
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad she took her time before commenting publicly. What a nice message and photo as well that she has posted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Daily Mail reach new lows with their "exclusive" photos of poor Lea Michele in her friends car