Options

Phone 5C pre-orders a big disappointment...

Comments

• Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    No one has disputed that it hasn't done as well as it might have, so I'm not sure what truth people haven't accepted.

One part of the second article I completely agree with though:

"Many Apple-bashers find it easy to explain the company's historic success: "it's just marketing."

To them, Apple products are overpriced and uninventive, but damn, those guys sure know how to sell.

Fortunately, from time to time Apple proves this theory to be as brain-dead as it sounds."

:confused: The relevance is what exactly, the 5 will be a success is that what you are claiming then? Because that is not what the ex exec is saying.

Perhaps you can explain what you mean here?

People say it has flopped, you say as well as it might have? What does that mean exactly how well was it supposed to do? Are you going to just quote sales numbers again :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Anything that refers to people as apple bashers can never be taken seriously.

He is an ex apple exec probably not been deprogrammed yet :D

In fairness he actually used that to emphasise what a disaster the 5c is. A little over CP's head those things.
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/24/windows-phone-momentum-grows-as-phablets-find-mixed-fortunes
    ...price cuts had begun to see the coloured iPhone 5C gain sales, after falling behind the higher-priced 5S model: “When Apple first launched its new iPhones in Britain the 5S outsold the 5C by 3:1,” it said in a note.

“However, the iPhone 5C has gained momentum and was the third best-selling smartphone [in Britain] over the past three months, reducing the 5S/C ratio to 2:1.

3rd best selling phone in the UK. Sure sounds like a flop to me.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    zapod wrote: »

It's just not done as well as was expected. It's not been a flop but it has been a disappointment. I think mainly due to the cost of it as it's very expensive compared to similar Android devices whilst it's not got the aluminium body and faster processor of the 5S which is not much more expensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You know there are other countries besides the UK yes?

Given the recent collapse in us sales for apple it could be the UK is now th he epicentre of apple activity :)
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything that refers to people as apple bashers can never be taken seriously.

Oh, I don't know - if the cap fits.

Its not as though you have to look very far to see any.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    :confused: The relevance is what exactly, the 5 will be a success is that what you are claiming then? Because that is not what the ex exec is saying.

Perhaps you can explain what you mean here?

People say it has flopped, you say as well as it might have? What does that mean exactly how well was it supposed to do? Are you going to just quote sales numbers again :)

Sorry, I thought it was obvious.

People often argue that Apple products only do well because of marketing, and that people buy Apple products simply because they are Apple products.

The fact that Apple have some products that clearly do better than others shows illustrates how stupid that argument is.

I said it hadn't done as well as it might have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know there are other countries besides the UK yes?

Given the recent collapse in us sales for apple it could be the UK is now th he epicentre of apple activity :)

Still not the disaster you claim. 3rd place out of... how many phones stuck to the wall of your local O2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is an ex apple exec probably not been deprogrammed yet :D

In fairness he actually used that to emphasise what a disaster the 5c is. A little over CP's head those things.

No, nothing has gone over my head.

Its just that my head is capable of distinguishing between more than your simplistic black and white world, where the only two possible options are:

Black - flop
    White - record breaking success
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Still not the disaster you claim. 3rd place out of... how many phones stuck to the wall of your local O2?

Again the UK is one country and one of the biggest apple successes (you only need to look at this forum) bit how well has it done outside the UK. How well has it done in its intended markets read the links you might learn something.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Black - flop
    White - record breaking success

Only black that is blacker than the blackest night for the 5c I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only black that is blacker than the blackest night for the 5c I'm afraid.

Sounds pretty black.

So how much blacker would it have been if it had sold only one tenth of what it actually has?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again the UK is one country and one of the biggest apple successes (you only need to look at this forum) bit how well has it done outside the UK. How well has it done in its intended markets read the links you might learn something.

Well, http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2013/10/28/apples-iphone-captured-34-of-japanese-mobile-phone-sales-in-september/

Over a third of the market in an expressly non-EU, non-US country. Is that a disaster too?
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any way back to the 5c seems even former apple execs not admits it was a complete flop
    He seems to think they went against the prime directive set by jobs, wonder where I heard that before.
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/02/18/former-apple-ad-man-5c/
    http://www.realcleartechnology.com/articles/2014/02/20/apples_adventures_in_plastic_990.html

Even the regular apple propaganda sites are now doubting it's continued existence
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/is-iphone-5c-doomed-already-3502414/

Shame some still refuse to accept the simple facts and truth as an ex apple exec has..... Flop :)

It looks like Apple may consider the 5C to have damaged the brand? I guess it might get dropped like the iPhone 5? Time will tell......
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

Not quite sure where you are getting this information from. Recent NPD figures show Apple's US market share of smartphones in 2013 as 45% (Samsung 26%) up from the 2012 figure of 44%.
    Hardly a "collapse" is it ?
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Oh, I don't know - if the cap fits.

Its not as though you have to look very far to see any.

It's simply a stupid term used by fools who can't handle someone saying anything negative about the great apple which in itself is absolutely pathetic. You don't have to look far to see any on this thread alone!

Ever heard the term Samsung basher? Or LG basher.

No? Didn't think so. They would be equally as stupid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's simply a stupid term used by fools who can't handle someone saying anything negative about the great apple which in itself is absolutely pathetic. You don't have to look far to see any on this thread alone!

Ever heard the term Samsung basher? Or LG basher.

No? Didn't think so. They would be equally as stupid.

Its not so much a term, as an apt description.

I'm sure there are people who bash Samsung and LG, in which case those terms would be just as apt a description.

Would you prefer the word critic?

An example of a stupid term would be something like isheep.

Either way, none of tis detracts from the point being made, which still stands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2013/10/28/apples-iphone-captured-34-of-japanese-mobile-phone-sales-in-september/

Over a third of the market in an expressly non-EU, non-US country. Is that a disaster too?

I never said they are a EU/Euro brand either in fact in some Eu countries Apple is non existent. Apple are strong in some countries US/Japan/UK and the vast majority of their worldwide sales come form these places. They are not contrary to what you think a worldwide brand like others, some countries are almost apple free.
    tdenson wrote: »
    Not quite sure where you are getting this information from. Recent NPD figures show Apple's US market share of smartphones in 2013 as 45% (Samsung 26%) up from the 2012 figure of 44%.
    Hardly a "collapse" is it ?

You need to use up to date figures, I am talking their last earnings report in which the North American market contracted, their biggest market.
    On the earnings call with analysts, Apple hinted the low growth was due to a contraction in North American iPhone sales. Apple CEO Tim Cook blamed changes in carrier policies for the North American sales drop.

www.businessinsider.com/apple-q1-earnings-2014-1#ixzz2uRzB6bI7

It amazes me that any negative truth about Apple people think you have invented it :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sounds pretty black.
    So how much blacker would it have been if it had sold only one tenth of what it actually has?

TC would be gone simple as that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TC would be gone simple as that.

Now I'm confused.

You said earlier that the current situation already was "blacker than the blackest night'.

If its already "blacker than the blackest night", it doesn't sound like it could be much blacker.

Either way, I'm still intrigued why you are so interested anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes there is nothing new there.

Still potential for the lights to fail yet :p

Glad your intrigued CP :confused:

I'm always amused by your refusal to accept facts in relation to Apple
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Its not so much a term, as an apt description.

Not apt at all. Foolish.
    I'm sure there are people who bash Samsung and LG, in which case those terms would be just as apt a description.

Yes, there is. But it doesnt have its own sad term that the users throw about daily!!
    Would you prefer the word critic?

Which to be honest, is earned by some apple users.
    Either way, none of tis detracts from the point being made, which still stands.

It doesn't really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not apt at all. Foolish.

Not that foolish - to bash something is a widely accepted and common slang for criticise.
    Yes, there is. But it doesnt have its own sad term that the users throw about daily!!

This isn't getting thrown about daily here either. It was used in an article in Avery specific and relevant context.

Which to be honest, is earned by some apple users.

When I said "if the cap fits" you dismissed that, saying was simply a stupid term.

But here you are saying that it's fine to call some Apple users iSheep.

Are you just completely oblivious to the double standard?
    It doesn't really.

It absolutely does. If people argue that the only reason Apple products well so well is down to marketing, then the fact that some Apple products don't sell as well clearly disproves that argument.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    5C is still selling less than the 4S according to info from various retailers. However the gap is much smaller than it once was when the 4S was trouncing the 5C in sales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes there is nothing new there.

Still potential for the lights to fail yet :p

Glad your intrigued CP :confused:

I'm always amused by your refusal to accept facts in relation to Apple

And I'm always impressed at your ability to reply to posts, and yet say precisely nothing.