Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Oldfield Park. Not been into the city centre yet. Will get back to you tonight :).

Ah okay. I'm from Bristol. The train went through Bath Spa last night but I never picked anything up.

Guess it must just be in Oldfield Park at the moment? Unless it just didn't work as I was on a train!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    So...

LARGE TOWNS/CITIES WITH 4G IN THE SOUTH WEST AREA

O2 - 1 (Swindon)
    Vodafone - 3 (Swindon, Stroud, Chippenham area)
    EE - 8 (Gloucester, Cheltenham, Swindon, Bristol, Bath, Exeter, Torquay, Plymouth).
    Three - 6 (Gloucester, Swindon, Bristol, Bath, Exeter, Plymouth)

Impressed :)
  • WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a quick test while around Bath earlier this evening. Looks like it must be a couple of masts that have been turned on, but not in any kind of regular coverage pattern. Basically I was able to get 4G in Oldfield Park (around a 1.5 mile walk from Bath Spa railway station. On the way into town I lost 4G. Then regained it when I was in the city centre, but then lost if fairly quickly while I was passing the train station (which is roughly on the edge of the city centre in the other direction to Oldfield Park).
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    I'm from Bristol.

Gee. I wouldn't have known from your username ;)

Mind you, I'm from Bristol too, but I don't like to admit it publically lol
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben_Fisher wrote: »
    where>?

Wakefield which has crap 3g coverage let alone 4G. The BBC weather app on my N5 was showing the weather in Robin Hood which is out Leeds way. As soon as the phone dropped back to 3G the app reverted to displaying the weather for Wakefield.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just did a speed test on Three at home earlier and Ookla says I'm using Telefonica O2 UK.

Is there something Three hasn't told us? :)

(I presume the IP range is incorrectly attributed to the wrong company, or else Hutchison took over O2 without telling anyone).
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Just did a speed test on Three at home earlier and Ookla says I'm using Telefonica O2 UK.

Is there something Three hasn't told us? :)

(I presume the IP range is incorrectly attributed to the wrong company, or else Hutchison took over O2 without telling anyone).

so the merger was true.... :D
  • heidthebaheidtheba Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quick question.

When roaming in the UK, do you only connect to 2g networks with 3?
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    Wakefield which has crap 3g coverage let alone 4G. The BBC weather app on my N5 was showing the weather in Robin Hood which is out Leeds way. As soon as the phone dropped back to 3G the app reverted to displaying the weather for Wakefield.

Isn't wakefield the place that had masses of EE 4G around it but it was stuck on 2G/3G in the place itself?
  • Skippy2005Skippy2005 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Isn't wakefield the place that had masses of EE 4G around it but it was stuck on 2G/3G in the place itself?

Correct!!!!! Its only has dire outdoor 4g topping out at about 6mb. Three's 3g is still very limited outdoors. Go inside and three is pointless!!!

EE 3G is rock solid just doesn't work very well.
  • Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking a this thread, there seems to have been alot of people getting 4G lately! Pretty jealous! Although I am off out in Grimsby tonight so will probably try some out there. Waiting for some to come to Lincoln!
  • tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had 4G come up on my iPhone 5 in Swansea City Centre. Never seen it before and didn't expect it until early 2015.

EDIT. Just gone back to 3G as we got to Liberty Stadium so it looks as though a mast has been enabled in the City Centre.
  • daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomvoxx wrote: »
    Just had 4G come up on my iPhone 5 in Swansea City Centre. Never seen it before and didn't expect it until early 2015.

EDIT. Just gone back to 3G as we got to Liberty Stadium so it looks as though a mast has been enabled in the City Centre.

You beat me to it! Just waiting for the train at Swansea station and got 20 up 20 down. 5 bars of signal so probably the mast on top of the tower block over the road.

Edit: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/906951436

Edit2: As you say, back to 3G. by the time the train reached Landore, so just one BTS at the mo.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »

By masses you mean on the unreliable Three map? I have not seen 4G in Bradford, Leeds, or York, it briefly flickered on in Doncaster once though. Admittedly i was not in the centre of the citys mentioned (apart from Doncaster) but i was well within the pink areas shown on the map.

The centre of Wakefield doesn't have any fleeting 4G coverage within about 10 miles of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    York definitely has 4G, but in many of the narrow streets you fall back to 3G, while in the outskirts you go to 2G and no data.

Clearly all of this is due to 4G being on low power. Roll on VoLTE and 800MHz!
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three now offers Wi-Fi on the London Underground as well.

Is there a definitive list of which towns have some 4G coverage now? I'm hopeful that Lincoln will be enabled very soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    ok my postcode is now sayin coming soon, so its not the 3 month period that was rolled out earlier, does anybody have any idea when this coming soon period is ? has anybody else experienced it ?
  • GregW93GregW93 Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Has anyone bought the Lumia 930 unlocked and managed to get it working with Three's 4G? I put my recently-bought One Plan SIM into the phone, and whilst calls, texts and 3G work fine, regardless of where I go (and I've tried Birmingham/Coventry city centre), my phone has never switched onto 4G. It always says either H or H+ in the top left corner.

If I click 'Settings' and then 'Mobile + SIM', it says 'Active Network - 3' and 'Data Connection - On', and under SIM settings, it says 'Highest Connection Speed - 4G', 'Network Selection - Automatic' and 'Mobile Connection Profile - 3 UK'.

Has anyone got Three 4G working on this phone?
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GregW93 wrote: »
    Has anyone bought the Lumia 930 unlocked and managed to get it working with Three's 4G? I put my recently-bought One Plan SIM into the phone, and whilst calls, texts and 3G work fine, regardless of where I go (and I've tried Birmingham/Coventry city centre), my phone has never switched onto 4G. It always says either H or H+ in the top left corner.

If I click 'Settings' and then 'Mobile + SIM', it says 'Active Network - 3' and 'Data Connection - On', and under SIM settings, it says 'Highest Connection Speed - 4G', 'Network Selection - Automatic' and 'Mobile Connection Profile - 3 UK'.

Has anyone got Three 4G working on this phone?

I have a lumia 930 and 4G works perfectly on it.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Just back from the town and 4g was superb while skyping a family member. Just a shame we done have it where we live :mad:
  • mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed something strange yesterday, not sure if it's just a phone glitch or what, but it's interesting anyway.

I was on my S4 stationary in my house, on whatsapp connected to 4G, suddenly the network dropped and I had no signal. It stayed on no signal for about a minute until "H" appeared in the corner but it didn't show any signal bars and there was no cell id in network signal info.
    http://i.imgur.com/yxdFZ6R.jpg

Not long after that, the phone reconnected to 4G and everything was normal.
    http://i.imgur.com/mC8OLDw.jpg
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I have a lumia 930 and 4G works perfectly on it.

Slightly off topic but how is the Lumia 930? Any good for a flagship?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Using one of them myself too

Very nice phone, screen is great but a concern is the phone gets REALLY hot at times!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dangetti wrote: »

Very nice phone, screen is great but a concern is the phone gets REALLY hot at times!

Unfortunately, it seems all the latest Snapdragon 80n SoCs are very bad at heat management, as I discovered yesterday when both my Z2 and G3 gave a number of heat-related warnings.

Of course, yesterday was especially warm.

(BTW, I get my 930 on Tuesday; had to reschedule my delivery given I'm away for the weekend).
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but how is the Lumia 930? Any good for a flagship?

amazing phone had a 925 before but the 930 is hands down the best lumia. The screen is so amazing and handles apps very quickly. Signal seems to have improved also with this phone.

Green is the colour to go for!
    dangetti wrote: »

I agree, the phone can get very hot at times I noticed that, especially when my phone was installing and updating many apps, it got burning hot, this never happened with my 820 or 925.

Could be a firmware fix or may be a hardware issue, I think we should report this to Nokia.
This discussion has been closed.