Options

Xbox One sales doubled in June, but PS4 takes the top spot

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
The PlayStation 4 remained the best-selling console in the United States last month, according to NPD figures cited by Sony, despite Microsoft's attempts to drive sales of its Xbox One console by introducing a cheaper model. Microsoft was able to double its sales of its Xbox One console in June with the release of a $399 model that didn't include motion-sensing camera Kinect, but it apparently still wasn't enough to knock Sony off the top spot. This marks the sixth consecutive month Sony has outsold its console rivals.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/17/5913929/xbox-one-sales-doubled-in-june-npds-but-ps4-takes-the-top-spot

While its still early days in both consoles life's Sony are still maintaining a healthy lead.

Comments

• Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put it down to me buying one in June. I made it double from 1->2 :D
  • Options
    Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuck me into the camp that bought a PS4 this month.
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Here are the numbers: http://abload.de/img/npdjune2014console9isth.jpg

- XB1 doubled up to 197,000 in the US last month
    - PS4 got 267,000 in the US last month
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see any real reason the ps4 should be outselling it now. Oh well....
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Can't see any real reason the ps4 should be outselling it now. Oh well....

Erm... multiplat superiority would be my guess, gamers are very shallow in that respect ;-)
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Erm... multiplat superiority would be my guess, gamers are very shallow in that respect ;-)

HEY, I'm offended by your insult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    HEY, I'm offended by your insult.

I did wink :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats more interesting than the headline is that Wii>WiiU, PS3>PS4 and X360>XBone.

Edit: forget that, the table is just stupidly sorted.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I did wink :)

Oh that's ok then. Sorry about been so aggressive. Must be all these violent video game I play.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Oh that's ok then. Sorry about been so aggressive. Must be all these violent video game I play.

Haha. Coming from me that gets upset when my frame rate drops on PC, I think I was talking more about myself then anybody else :D
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I paid £150 for my PS1 plus game, £180 for my PS2 plus game and £195 for PS3 + game. I'm willing to go up to £230 this time :)
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "Xbox One sales doubled" line that was press-released all over the place this week was a massive exercise in PR spin.

Although what they are saying is accurate, the true reasons behind it are more telling.

Sales did indeed (more than) double in June, to 197,000 but that's from an atrocious result of just 77,000 in May, where sales had plummeted from their usual level.

June was also 5 week reporting month, May was just 4.

Let's not forget these results are from Xbox's strongest market. They are by no means indicative of the situation worldwide.

So yeah, a nice positive headline and a modest move in the right direction, but the reality is nowhere near as rosy as MS are making out.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "Xbox One sales doubled" line that was press-released all over the place this week was a massive exercise in PR spin.

Although what they are saying is accurate, the true reasons behind it are more telling.

Sales did indeed (more than) double in June, to 197,000 but that's from an atrocious result of just 77,000 in May, where sales had plummeted from their usual level.

June was also 5 week reporting month, May was just 4.

Let's not forget these results are from Xbox's strongest market. They are by no means indicative of the situation worldwide.

So yeah, a nice positive headline and a modest move in the right direction, but the reality is nowhere near as rosy as MS are making out.

Beat me to it. Talk about saving face.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    E3 2013 still hurting Microsoft.

I won't be picking one up till the new Halo is out :)
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how the layoffs will affect the Xbox.
  • Options
    Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    E3 2013 still hurting Microsoft.

I won't be picking one up till the new Halo is out :)

That's when I can see myself getting one, Christmas 2015.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be selfish but the xbox continuing to struggle against PS4 is a good thing for me, at the moment anyway, it means quicker price drops and better bundles, come Christmas i'd expect a seriously incredible value for money deal that'll hook me in

The fact that most people on these forums that have one seem to love it is great as well, means there'll be a lot quality games for dirt cheap by the time I do get one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    I wonder how the layoffs will affect the Xbox.

The main Xbox business seems largely unaffected, but Xbox UK has shed 10% of its workforce while Europe (inc the Middle East and Asia) has been very badly hit, with as many as 75% of jobs said to have gone along with all contractors.

MS have stressed this won't affect their additional launches later this year.

The dept creating original programming has been scrapped, with only the Halo TV show and Quantum Break surviving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    It might be selfish but the xbox continuing to struggle against PS4 is a good thing for me, at the moment anyway, it means quicker price drops and better bundles, come Christmas i'd expect a seriously incredible value for money deal that'll hook me in

The fact that most people on these forums that have one seem to love it is great as well, means there'll be a lot quality games for dirt cheap by the time I do get one

I just got one, and bought all my games second hand. I'll get the new games as digital, such as Forza Horizon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    The main Xbox business seems largely unaffected, but Xbox UK has shed 10% of its workforce while Europe (inc the Middle East and Asia) has been very badly hit, with as many as 75% of jobs said to have gone along with all contractors.

MS have stressed this won't affect their additional launches later this year.

The dept creating original programming has been scrapped, with only the Halo TV show and Quantum Break surviving.

A bad decision, puts people off
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some more Xbox numbers have been released.

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY14/Q4/default.aspx

In the last 3 months, Microsoft have "shipped" (as in sold to shops, not to actual customers) just 1.1m Xbox Ones and Xbox 360s COMBINED.... GLOBALLY!

They declined to give any "sold-through" (sold to customer) numbers, or reveal the split between 360 and One.

Whichever way you look at it, that's pretty dire especially when you consider this included the launch of the Kinect-less model.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some more Xbox numbers have been released.

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY14/Q4/default.aspx

In the last 3 months, Microsoft have "shipped" (as in sold to shops, not to actual customers) just 1.1m Xbox Ones and Xbox 360s COMBINED.... GLOBALLY!

They declined to give any "sold-through" (sold to customer) numbers, or reveal the split between 360 and One.

Whichever way you look at it, that's pretty dire especially when you consider this included the launch of the Kinect-less model.

I wouldn't say globally when the X1 is only out in a handful of countries :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    I wouldn't say globally when the X1 is only out in a handful of countries :p

Yeah. Didn't they delay so they could localise Kinect?

Worth the wait......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony's numbers are in.

They shipped 3.5m PS3/PS4 in the same period MS shipped their 1.1m 360/XBO.

That's some difference.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too surprisingly considering the XBO still hasn't launched anywhere except it's initial 13 launch markets (and their 2nd set of market releases isn't due until September). Whereas the PS4 is available in over 60 markets.