Options

Edinburgh

hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm working at the Fringe and I've been here since Sunday. However I am already starting to hate it:o It's boiling hot and it's packed full of people everywhere you go. People just barge past you and it's hard to get anywhere because crowds of people are in the way plus the buses are always full and places are hard to find.

Cities like Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham are nowhere near as bad as this and I can't wait to go home.:kitty:

Is Edinburgh like this throughout the year?

Comments

• Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edinburgh I think is nice but extremely touristy and crowded.

I much prefer Glasgow. It looks much more 'real', has a 'gritty' feel to it and the people are really friendly there :)

Glasgow shopping is fantastic too!
  • Options
    Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Edinburgh I think is nice but extremely touristy and crowded.

I much prefer Glasgow. It looks much more 'real', has a 'gritty' feel to it and the people are really friendly there :)

Glasgow shopping is fantastic too!

I much prefer edinburgh but its because I love history , royal mile, grey friars bobby graveyard etc. When the fringe is on I stay well away though. Crowds. Folk handing out leaflets and ppl doing performing arts. Yuck. Edinburgh can be busy but not as busy as when the fringe is on
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edinburgh is especially busy at the moment as a lot of people (including me) visiting the Commonwealth Game in Glasgow were stopping in Edinburgh as the hotels are the cheaper - or just not as extortionately expensive.

I was in Edinburgh and Glasgow over the weekend and had a great time. I had been to Edinburgh a few times before but not for several years and it was my first time ever in Glasgow. I'm planning on going back for a longer visit when it is quieter (and cheaper). There are still some pubs on Rose Street that I didn't do over the weekend.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be pissing down. Don't moan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    It could be pissing down. Don't moan.

:D

Understatement of the year. :D
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    I'm working at the Fringe and I've been here since Sunday. However I am already starting to hate it:o It's boiling hot and it's packed full of people everywhere you go. People just barge past you and it's hard to get anywhere because crowds of people are in the way plus the buses are always full and places are hard to find.

Cities like Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham are nowhere near as bad as this and I can't wait to go home.:kitty:

First world problems....

Sorry, I just COULDN'T resist! :D
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Manchester isn't as bad?!!! :o

Sorry but I don't agree. When we go on holiday we fly out of Manchester. We go down the day before to spend the day there, and we have had the barging past constantly. Its a big city, sometimes the only way to get places is to do that.

The buses we found in Manchester to always be full as well. Places are only to hard to find because you don't know it. Just like we found when we went to Manchester or Newcastle the first times.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Manchester isn't as bad?!!! :o

Sorry but I don't agree. When we go on holiday we fly out of Manchester. We go down the day before to spend the day there, and we have had the barging past constantly. Its a big city, sometimes the only way to get places is to do that.

The buses we found in Manchester to always be full as well. Places are only to hard to find because you don't know it. Just like we found when we went to Manchester or Newcastle the first times.

Buses in Manchester are always full on the Wilmslow Road corridor but nowhere else, apart from rush hours and last buses.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Buses in Manchester are always full on the Wilmslow Road corridor but nowhere else, apart from rush hours and last buses.

Were when we were there in June! Was a nightmare. Although there was some music festival on or something which wouldn't have helped.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This week will have been quieter than it's going to be after the fringe starts today. :D Central Edinburgh really isn't that big, you'd probably be quicker walking places than trying to get on buses.

On the plus side the weather is guaranteed to get worse.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

no.

it's hot all over the country. it was unbearable in london at the weekend, but then it's been unbearable in edinburgh many days the last couple of months

edinburgh is much busier at the moment as it's full of tourists, but it just depends on where you go. princes street is just rammed of tourists, but other places aren't anywhere near so bad

i was at oxford street in london on saturday and that was far worse. bar the short thunderstorm the heat was crazy and folk were just walking about like crazy. i then went to camden and whilst that was also busy, it wasn't anywhere like oxford street

so if you avoid the tourist traps and obvious places it won't be so bad. there isn't much you can do about the heat really. and come the weekend when the festival starts it's just going to get busier until it ends, as so many places turn into venues. all around princes street and the royal mile and grassmarket and pleasance is going to be mental

birmingham and manchester are bigger cities and don't have anything like the edinburgh festival so that's why it's different. but if you go out in certain places in manchester it can be pretty packed. the wilmslow road can be crazy and late at night with everyone drunk they just wander about all over the place and cars cruising about for street racing. edinburgh is a smaller place so people are crammed into less space

i'm avoiding glasgow whilst the games are on as that must just be madness, plus i hate sport
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edinburgh wakes up in July when the visitors come. End Septemebr, it goes back to sleep except for a few days at New year.

If you think Edinburgh is bad, go to London! At least Edinburgh has fresh air you can breathe (and tap water you can drink!)
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just spent a couple of days in Edinburgh for the first time.

I'm surprised that the centre isn't pedestrianised, the traffic light settings are awful and the place was full of arrogant and rude tourists who think it's acceptable to either walk 4 abreast everywhere or just stand in a big and random crowd completely blocking the path. Oh and there was an obnoxious Castle guide who I was very close to chinning!

On the whole though, I loved it and will go back again next year. I even caught the sun on Monday :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go to Edinburgh probably twice or three times a year because my grandparents live there. It's a great city, but it can be very touristy sometimes. Even more so during the Fringe (people come from all over the world).

I'm a street performer this year for it. Dark red hair, probably wearing cowboy boots. Look out for me! :)
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Edinburgh's always mental busy around the Festival and at Hogmanay. Loads of tourists.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if the fringe is causing all the problems, couldn't they just cut it?
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am going up on Sunday for a few days of the Fringe, went last year really enjoyed it.

I was wondering if there's any big screens showing the Commonwealth games in Edinburgh ?
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering if there's any big screens showing the Commonwealth games in Edinburgh ?

Just go to the areas where people are on the dole - they all have sky multiroom (3D) with 50" TVs in the lounge and bedrooms. ;-)

(Somebody else can name the areas - but all you need are the initials: Cm, Bh, P, Mh, Wh.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Nope.

The Festival/Fringe more than doubles the population.

And even then, it's nowhere near as busy as Central London during the height of the tourist season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member

Come to Glasgow we're lovely :D:cool:
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always busy because it's a capital city, but it'll be particularly busy right now because of the commonwealth games and fringe festival. It also gets extra busy in December and early January, with the Christmas/German market and New Year street party, and a tad busier in June with the film festival. Those are the times to avoid, if you can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »
    Just spent a couple of days in Edinburgh for the first time.

I'm surprised that the centre isn't pedestrianised, the traffic light settings are awful and the place was full of arrogant and rude tourists who think it's acceptable to either walk 4 abreast everywhere or just stand in a big and random crowd completely blocking the path. Oh and there was an obnoxious Castle guide who I was very close to chinning!

On the whole though, I loved it and will go back again next year. I even caught the sun on Monday :)

The fact that you can't cross roads easily really annoys me. You have to wait 10 minutes until the traffic lights say you can go then people aren't sure whether to go or not and you're stuck behind them so it takes ages to get somewhere.

I got lost today on my way to Pleasance so I asked a woman but then some random man said he'd take me there. He said he was from Birmingham but he knows the area so I followed him and actually took me there:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A week after I posted this thread I actually fell in love with Edinburgh. The Fringe was fantastic and I got used to the constant crowds of people everywhere.

It rained most of the time but it didn't bother me as I spent most of my time enjoying myself by watching Street Performers. I'd recommend The Fringe to everyone.
  • Options
    _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    karijn wrote: »
    :D

Understatement of the year. :D

Edinburgh is actually quite dry, the average precipitation is in the region 40-80mm. I moved here from the north west of England where it was more like 80-160mm. The east coast in general is quite a bit drier than the west.