Options

Having Trouble With Samsung Smart TV Connecting To Computer Router

I've bought a Samsung Smart TV and I am trying to get it connected to my computer's router.

It's not connecting and I think it could be down to the password its asking for, either that or the security option on the router and the one I originally chose is messing things up.

On the password, I'm not sure if its asking me for the general password to get into the router's webpage like. Or is it asking me for the password for the security option? That password was set first actually, before I set the general password. Or is it asking me for the security pin number of the router? I've tried all 3 and so far its not connecting.

If its the security option, the one the TV puts up first as a possible option is "none" on the choices but the security option I have, is another one and on the tv's listing it says "close" alongside that option but it doesn't have close next to the other security options.

Any ideas on what password it wants for my router and where I might be going wrong?

Thanks in advance of your replies.

Comments

• Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's after your network key; i.e the same you use to connect phones, tablets laptops etc to the router's wifi. Could well be printed on the bottom of the router.

That's presuming you are trying to connect it via wifi?
    If you are using an ethernet cable then no password should be required.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,881
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    It's after your network key; i.e the same you use to connect phones, tablets laptops etc to the router's wifi. Could well be printed on the bottom of the router.

That's presuming you are trying to connect it via wifi?
    If you are using an ethernet cable then no password should be required.

The router is connected to the computer via ethernet cables yes but its not connected to the TV with cables from the computer.

I don't have a smart phone as such nor a lapt top, I have a desktop computer.

I only got the router set up 2 days ago and needed the help of forum posters + virgin to get it hooked up.

Going by what you wrote, It sounds like it wants the general password which I have tried but I haven't tried selection the first choice that was listed on the security options on the TV because it doesn't match the one I clicked on my routers web page. I'll try it now though to see if it works.

p.s. Just tried selecting the first security option on the TV and it still wouldn't accept. grrr, I paid nearly a hundred extra to get these smart features and its not even connecting.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    I've bought a Samsung Smart TV and I am trying to get it connected to my computer's router.

It's not connecting and I think it could be down to the password its asking for, either that or the security option on the router and the one I originally chose is messing things up.
    The router is connected to the computer via ethernet cables yes but its not connected to the TV with cables from the computer.

I don't have a smart phone as such nor a lapt top, I have a desktop computer.

I only got the router set up 2 days ago and needed the help of forum posters + virgin to get it hooked up.

There's an awful lot of confusion here and anyone attempting to answer may like to read this first
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=73877340&highlight=#post73877340

Actually it's not the "computer's router" and there is no way to "connected to the TV with cables from the computer" - the TV needs to be connected to the router.

It's been established that the PC is connected by ethernet cable to the router.
    The TV can be connected by a separate/another ethernet cable from the router (NOT the PC) to the TV or possibly by wi-fi.

If it's the former then no keys should be necessary. With w-fi the network wireless key will be required
    This, unless it has been changed, is usually printed somewhere on the router
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 Connect ethernet cable from tv to router. Which ever socket on the router the cable from your pc to router plugs into, there should be another 3 next to it, so use one of those. This will work with no passwords.
    You may need a password for Samsung on demand services or other services such as lovefilm, blinkbox.

2 If you are attempting a wireless connection, then it would be easier if you post the tv model and router model first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    There's an awful lot of confusion here and anyone attempting to answer may like to read this first
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=73877340&highlight=#post73877340

Actually it's not the "computer's router" and there is no way to "connected to the TV with cables from the computer" - the TV needs to be connected to the router.

It's been established that the PC is connected by ethernet cable to the router.
    The TV can be connected by a separate/another ethernet cable from the router (NOT the PC) to the TV or possibly by wi-fi.

If it's the former then no keys should be necessary. With w-fi the network wireless key will be required
    This, unless it has been changed, is usually printed somewhere on the router

I think I've sussed it, the stupid little push "button" at the back of the router to switch on wi-fi was not on. It doesn't prompt people to that though not in the instructions nor when the lady at virgin was helping to set it up. She was telling me to keep an eye on the lights on the front of the router to make sure they were green and since pushing that wi-fi button on, one of them has turned to blue but it automatically brought up the connection on the TV when I tried it so thats good news.

I've got another question but it might be better to ask as a separate thread.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presuming your TV has wifi built in (if you're unsure, post the exact model), then if you go into the network setting in the TV menu, you should see the router mentioned.
    For a Netgear router it'll be 'Netgear' followed by a number.

It'll then ask for your Network Key. If it asks you to choose security options first, then choose WPA2.

For a Netgear router the Network Key is printed on the bottom of the router labelled 'Network Key (Password)', and on my Netgear router, consists of two random words and some numbers.

Note this key is likely to be case sensitive, so if it's in lower case on the router, make sure you are not entering capital letters on the TV.

ETA: Didn't see your post, so this is probably irrelevant now.
    Glad it's sorted. :)
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I've sussed it, the stupid little push "button" at the back of the router to switch on wi-fi was not on. It doesn't prompt people to that though not in the instructions nor when the lady at virgin was helping to set it up. She was telling me to keep an eye on the lights on the front of the router to make sure they were green and since pushing that wi-fi button on, one of them has turned to blue but it automatically brought up the connection on the TV when I tried it so thats good news.

Pleased that seems to be solved.
    The "stupid little push "button" " appears to be the WPS button which is referred to on page 35 in the manual http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGN2200V4/DGN2200v4_UM_26Mar13.pdf
    WPS explained here http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/96/~/what-is-wi-fi-protected-setup-(wps)-or-push-n-connect%3F
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "stupid little push "button" " appears to be the WPS button which is referred to on page 35 in the manual http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGN2200V4/DGN2200v4_UM_26Mar13.pdf
    WPS explained here http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/96/~/what-is-wi-fi-protected-setup-(wps)-or-push-n-connect%3F

There is also a WiFi on/off button on that router. So it might have been either that the OP pressed. Though if he turned WiFi on I would assume the TV would prompt for entry of the WiFi password. And even with WPS the TV would have to be set to WPS to respond to the router.

Though that doesn't mean that the telly wasn't put into WPS mode by accident in all the fiddling about that seems to have taken place :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    There is also a WiFi on/off button on that router. So it might have been either that the OP pressed. Though if he turned WiFi on I would assume the TV would prompt for entry of the WiFi password. And even with WPS the TV would have to be set to WPS to respond to the router.

Though that doesn't mean that the telly wasn't put into WPS mode by accident in all the fiddling about that seems to have taken place :)

Yes the WPS button is at the front of the router and I thought that is what mattered but it was only when I noitced again and pushed the small little pin type wi-fi button at the back of the router that bought up the Netgear option on the tv once I tried it again.