Daybreak - New Look from Jan 3rd

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
Forum Member
For those of you that don't know Daybreak will come back with a new look, less purple. Still no new presenters though. What color do we think the new logo will be? Yellow and Black seems to come to mind! ;)

Comments

• AndyTSJAndyTSJ Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should really just give up trying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrap it all.
  • StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe ITV should stop chasing ratings and leave the format alone? GMTV struggled and Daybreak is no better ratings wise despite being less down market.
    ITV Plc should just accept that time of the morning is not a huge ratings puller. End of story.
  • philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,176
    Forum Member
    Why don't ITV Plc give STV a go at sorting out the breakfast programme.... I bet they could do it better!
  • iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know why they scrapped GMTV!! I loved that show as it had a balanced mixture of everything! they could have refreshed the show if they had too but they didn't have too create a whole new show!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    AndyTSJ wrote: »

ITV once won the ratings, I believe they could again, all it takes is some thought!
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV magazine programming has suffered in recent years since they discovered the:

a) Multi-question competition for big big prizes (calls cost £1.50/minute)

b) Power of love

c) Margaret Thatchers Cat

They need to concentrate on providing a breakfast service first and foremost and the viewers will come.

Unfortunately making money is their main concern, ironically this prevents them from making money.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ink171 wrote: »
    Scrap it all.

Agreed. Save the bother and put out rolling news from ITN with regional news breaks.

ITV never seemed to recover from the loss of TV-am. The BBC have just the right formula at breakfast now and Sky News also provides a good rolling news service.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt its going to improve ratings.
  • groovesectiongroovesection Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No new presenters means i have no incentive to even tune in and see if they have done anything to the actual content and format.
    They will never rival BBC in the morning because they are just too commercial and dumbed down
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will ITV realise that their vision of breakfast tv is totally outdated? They can change the set colour, the sofa, the presenters and even the programme name as many times as they want but it still remains the same tired old format.
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Why don't ITV Plc give STV a go at sorting out the breakfast programme.... I bet they could do it better!

God forbid. :eek: Yet to see a decent STV program.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    The term flogging a dead horse springs to mind.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The mind boggles!
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyTSJ wrote: »
    I thought they already had. :D
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvworld101 wrote: »
    For those of you that don't know Daybreak will come back with a new look, less purple. Still no new presenters though. What color do we think the new logo will be? Yellow and Black seems to come to mind! ;)

Does it matter what the damn colour of the logo is, if the programmes are crap the best colour choice in the world will do nothing to improve it. Less celebity trivia, more real news might help.
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Does it matter what the damn colour of the logo is, if the programmes are crap the best colour choice in the world will do nothing to improve it. Less celebity trivia, more real news might help.

Then we go back to BBC Breakfast copy. They need to get the right mix, the right content...
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvworld101 wrote: »
    Then we go back to BBC Breakfast copy. They need to get the right mix, the right content...

But they need to be somewhat different from BBC Breakfast, otherwise why would people choose ITV over the BBC.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great pity that ITV have never managed a news driven breakfast prog successfully. I know many enjoy the Beeb's offering - personally, I find it a bit too characterless,smug, and sixth-form, and the Guardianesque agenda is a bit too cushy public sector and patronising for my liking.

Until ITV can manage something vaguley intelligent in the morning without pandering to the trashy X-Factor & slebb infected slices of their potential audience, it's good old Eammon on SKY for me.
  • Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with Daybreak is the content and "personalities" like Kate Garraway, Martin Lewis, and Dan Wooton. Just axe everyone who has ever been associated with Daybreak/GMTV and bring in fresh faces, get rid of the competitions or at least cut back on the amount of plugging they get, acknowledge once in a while that not everyone in the audience is a mum, and I bet it would be a huge improvement.

The GMTV - Daybreak revamp was pointless because so much was kept the same. So if they're doing another revamp they need to go the whole hog this time. Otherwise the same complaints will be made.
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    But they need to be somewhat different from BBC Breakfast, otherwise why would people choose ITV over the BBC.

That's what I mean, they need to be different. They need a mix of hard news, current affairs, sport, showbiz, travel... Anchor wise I would like to see a return of Ben Shephard, maybe bring back some of the old viewers. Never will happen though! My ideal team would be Ben and Kate!
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    All they will do is a GMTV clone (and deny it is so) or a poor BBC Breakfast copy.

Can you imagine the ITV execs seriously doing anything that might be innovative?
    The Big Breakfast launched with Chris Evans - a big risk - puppets interviewing celebs - the studio crew as audience etc etc. Can you imagine any pf them taking those kinds of risks.

Don't forget - these are the guys who cut Tim Minchin from the Jonathon Ross show after commissioning him to write and perform a song for the Xmas show.

If they want better ratings than Daybreak they will just do what they did with Saturday mornings - repeats of Corrie and This Morning.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should get someone new on the sofa and give Kate Garoway less of a role.
    Think they should also let STV/UTV have a little more of a say in the breakfast programe and add an extra 3min local news.
    Think I maybe watching BBC breakfast a little more before I goto work in the mornings.

Darren
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's time to throw in the can, Breakfast has the audience who wants a diet of news and guff and the rest can watch Sky News Sunrise for a rolling news service.
  • RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StevenNT wrote: »
    Maybe ITV should stop chasing ratings and leave the format alone? GMTV struggled and Daybreak is no better ratings wise despite being less down market.
    ITV Plc should just accept that time of the morning is not a huge ratings puller. End of story.

I agree in scrapping the format though still think decent ratings can be won. I feel it's time for ITV to look at producing a Morning Newshour between 7 and 8am (with permission from Ofcom), with 5 minutes of Regional News. The Newshour could then be surrounded by more popular type programming such as repeats of last nights Soaps, cheap Game Shows such as Supermarket Sweep, a show similar to The Wright Stuff etc. This would be a true alternative to the BBC's offering.