Battleship on C4 now

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
Why did I have to enter a PIN number to watch this ? It's Channel 4, not a movie channel :confused:

Comments

• ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need a PIN number, just a lobotomy.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need a PIN number, just a lobotomy.

Was it really that bad? I couldn't record this on tivo as the wife had recorded x factor, I'm a celeb, extra factor and I'm a celeb get me out of here now aswell as the pissing Jonathan Ross show.

Probably a good thing

I just thought anything with liam Neeson can't be THAT bad........mind you, he did do the A T.E.A.M.
  • ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it really that bad? I couldn't record this on tivo as the wife had recorded x factor, I'm a celeb, extra factor and I'm a celeb get me out of here now aswell as the pissing Jonathan Ross show.

Probably a good thing

I just thought anything with liam Neeson can't be THAT bad........mind you, he did do the A T.E.A.M.

Nah, its just not very good.
    Mindless popcorn film.

I just couldn't resist a sarcy comment.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mindless popcorn film.

Might give it a quick download then.

Mind you are many films show on that channel 4+7 thing or is it just tv shows
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always wonder what some people expected out of this film. yes it's pretty terrible, but i loved it because it didn't try to be anything other than a cheesy OTT sci-fi film.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you like transformers, you will like battleships.

Supposed to be based on mattel game, but i struggled with that. Just seemed like an adventure film to me.

Battle los angeles is equally good/bad. I enjoyed it.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's terrible, I watched it a few times when it was on sky movies. It's just a good old fun action movie.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got fed up with it after about half an hour ! :D
    Watched Alien 3 on Sky 1
  • archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got fed up with it after about half an hour ! :D
    Watched Alien 3 on Sky 1
    You missed the best part. They were just establishing character types and relationships for about that long.

I enjoyed it. Really good CGI and soundtrack and some predictable laughs and endings.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mindless popcorn film.

Sorry sarcy or not it gives the mindless popcorn film a bad name.
  • 3iff3iff Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I checked Imdb ratings and they were scathing. I had a look anyway, I've seen much worse films (Transformers got 20 minutes before I gave up) but I managed to reach the end.

Just don't expect to have any braincells troubled by this, it's pretty mindless.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its great on big surround sound systems, oodles of thunderous trouser flapping explosions and psycho acoustic effects... yeah mindless I suppose.....
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    It was marginally better than 'Transformers' but I rate that as one of the worst films I've ever seen so it's not saying much. The lack of any decent story in 'Battleship' was risible although the CGI was undeniably pretty.
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely one of the worst filems I have ever seen.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    ...thunderous trouser flapping explosions ...
    That would be the curried beans!

Enjoyable film, though far too much of the fluff at the beginning - I started to think I had either recorded the wrong thing or entirely misinderstood what it was supposed to be about!
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The strained attempts to tie it to the game were lamentable.

Watchable enough but instantly forgettable.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    archiver wrote: »
    You missed the best part. They were just establishing character types and relationships for about that long.

I enjoyed it. Really good CGI and soundtrack and some predictable laughs and endings.

I thought the writing for the dialogue was too predictable.
    When a character started a sentence which you knew was intended for impact, I found myself guessing correctly what the character was going to say next when they finished their sentence.

The CGI was well done. Especially when it showed the destruction of buildings and parts of cities. At first I thought it was a Michael Bay film because of how it looked. It looked expensive in that respect. But such a shame about the script and the story which made it more boring than it should have been.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I don't remember any good CGI, those spinning wheel things looked horrible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    The strained attempts to tie it to the game were lamentable.
    Is it bad that I have absolutely no idea what game it is supposed to be based on? Or was it really just 'battleships'? Bill&Ted vs Death did it way better!

Edit: unless there's a game called "Battleship"... my "D'oh!" is at the ready...
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it bad that I have absolutely no idea what game it is supposed to be based on? Or was it really just 'battleships'? Bill&Ted vs Death did it way better!

Edit: unless there's a game called "Battleship"... my "D'oh!" is at the ready...
    D'oh!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »
    I don't remember any good CGI, those spinning wheel things looked horrible.

I was thinking more of scenes like the bridge collapsing with lots of vehicles on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There was only one brief scene in the entire film which referenced the game too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was only one brief scene in the entire film which referenced the game too.
    So that really was it? I had wondered why it seemed so strangle-worthily contrived...
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Which means the aliens cheated by moving :mad:
    And on the basis of my previous "just battleships" remark, I hereby deny your outrageous and entirely despicable attempt to cast me into the sea of D'oh!
    Ha!
    *pedals away, flourishing cutlass, ignoring calls of "come in number six your time is up"*