Options

If solar power is so damn wonderful..

radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Thosr nasty Tories have turned off kour streetlights at midnight.
If solar power is so efficient and wonderful why isnt solar power used to light the streetlights?
Just a thought.

Comments

• Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably because solar power isn't free (panels, batteries and inverters cost money and require maintenance)?

If there isn't much of a need for lighting once pretty much everyone is in bed, then why pay extra for 24 hour operation?
  • Options
    GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If solar power is so efficient and wonderful why isnt solar power used to light the streetlights?
    Just a thought.

Your premise is Solar power, its a false argument.

Renewable Power now accounts for 50% of Scotland s power. Go Wind.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Gormagon wrote: »
    Renewable Power now accounts for 50% of Scotland s power. Go Wind.

That doesn't mean much at all.

It's all very well asserting that 50% of power comes from wind but that's pretty-much irrelevant unless it means you can close down conventional power stations, which you can't because you can't rely on wind power.

The major benefit of wind-power, at the moment, is to investors because they know that the electricity wind-turbines produce WILL get used (and paid for) while regular power stations are expected to stay on line to cover the shortfall on days when the wind doesn't blow.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought.

Why would you waste power in any circumstances? It's irrelevant whether it's "green" or gas/coal/nuclear. The council has to buy it from the power company and I'd prefer they used my taxes on something more important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you waste power in any circumstances? It's irrelevant whether it's "green" or gas/coal/nuclear. The council has to buy it from the power company and I'd prefer they used my taxes on something more important.

You probably don't have daughters or sons on minimum wage jobs having to make their way home from work in the pitch black. Sometimes the common good is more important than personal choices.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought in some places they turn off alternate street lights after a certain time instead of all of them? Surely this is better?
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    I thought in some places they turn off alternate street lights after a certain time instead of all of them? Surely this is better?
    I live in a tenement stair and the Council provides the stair lighting - power and maintenance.

Each light fitting has two small fluorescent tubes and one of the tubes switches off around midnight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You probably don't have daughters or sons on minimum wage jobs having to make their way home from work in the pitch black. Sometimes the common good is more important than personal choices.
    You mean like the personal choice to carry a torch or to drive with the headlights on. Has there been any increase in accidents or crime as a result of turning off some street lighting at midnight. Is this turning off the street lighting at midnight hazardous or merely inconvenient, annoying.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    You mean like the personal choice to carry a torch or to drive with the headlights on. Has there been any increase in accidents or crime as a result of turning off some street lighting at midnight. Is this turning off the street lighting at midnight hazardous or merely inconvenient, annoying.

Daft thing is, it's an incredibly precarious attempt at saving money.

A couple of years ago, something went wrong with the leccy around here and all the street lights were off for about 4 days.
    During that time, somebody tripped over an uneven paving slab in the dark and ended up suing the council for about £40k IIRC.

You turn the lights off and save pennies night after night but it's only going to take a couple of civil actions and any savings are going to be flushed straight down the legal crapper.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Is that going to be the stock answer to all cutbacks?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

More hazardous IMO and especially the night before the binmen come when the bins are out on the pavements, there's also uneven footpaths, rubbish and dog poo to contend with - all of which get hardly any attention nowadays due to cuts.

It's pitch black and no people shouldn't have to carry a torch, that's going backwards and as Si_Crewe has said, it will cost more than has been saved come any compo claims.
  • Options
    GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    That doesn't mean much at all.

It's all very well asserting that 50% of power comes from wind but that's pretty-much irrelevant unless it means you can close down conventional power stations, which you can't because you can't rely on wind power.

The major benefit of wind-power, at the moment, is to investors because they know that the electricity wind-turbines produce WILL get used (and paid for) while regular power stations are expected to stay on line to cover the shortfall on days when the wind doesn't blow.

That is the price you pay for green energy, I'm all for nuclear but there is not a politician in this green country of ours that will say that. So expensive green winds and solars and wishing bones it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your contributions - however I would like to return to my opening point/question.

If solar power is so wonderful and efficient then why are not streetlights powered by it? Or is it not what it's cracked up to be in the adverts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your contributions - however I would like to return to my opening point/question.

If solar power is so wonderful and efficient then why are not streetlights powered by it? Or is it not what it's cracked up to be in the adverts?

And I'll repeat the key point of my reply. Why focus on solar? Why not ask "If nuclear power is so wonderful why aren't streetlights powered by it".

Everything costs money, even solar power.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I'll repeat the key point of my reply. Why focus on solar? Why not ask "If nuclear power is so wonderful why aren't streetlights powered by it".

Then start a new thread. I wish to discuss solar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then start a new thread. I wish to discuss solar.

No, you wish to use a totally fake argument to attack solar.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Daft thing is, it's an incredibly precarious attempt at saving money.

A couple of years ago, something went wrong with the leccy around here and all the street lights were off for about 4 days.
    During that time, somebody tripped over an uneven paving slab in the dark and ended up suing the council for about £40k IIRC.

You turn the lights off and save pennies night after night but it's only going to take a couple of civil actions and any savings are going to be flushed straight down the legal crapper.

A lack of lighting didn't make the paving slab uneven. My mother-in-law once tripped over one in broad daylight in the middle of a glorious summer day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you wish to use a totally fake argument to attack solar.

I wish to discuss solar. If you don't, go away.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The point is that we need to have a cohesive energy policy which we don't have now as all three parties are more interested in delivering profits to private businessmen than delivering cheap and efficient energy to the public.

My basic understanding of hybrid cars are that it uses battery power when it can but uses petrol when it can't.

We can use the same for our power needs. Where we can use solar, wind or tidal power then do so. It will lessen the need for using up fossil fuels and nuclear energy.

I would imagine until we had an effective way to store solar energy we will not be able to use it at night.

It is not a question of one source over the other but all of them in harmony.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, I want to stay and highlight your hypocrisy.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member

What's the point of debating solar when you have started with a premise which doesn't make sense.

The issue of solar power and streetlights being turned off are not really connected are they?
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The point is that we need to have a cohesive energy policy which we don't have now as all three parties are more interested in delivering profits to private businessmen than delivering cheap and efficient energy to the public.

My basic understanding of hybrid cars are that it uses battery power when it can but uses petrol when it can't.

We can use the same for our power needs. Where we can use solar, wind or tidal power then do so. It will lessen the need for using up fossil fuels and nuclear energy.

I would imagine until we had an effective way to store solar energy we will not be able to use it at night.

It is not a question of one source over the other but all of them in harmony.
    All quite right. Good post.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unless you're asking why streetlamps aren't detached from the national grid and individually generate their own power (how pricey would that be?) then I'm struggling to understand the question. The grid is fed by a whole host of electricity generating methods including solar, so why single that particular method (and street lamps) out?

I'd be more inclined to ask why it isn't mandatory for all new developments to be covered in panels be they houses, office buildings, schools, hospitals or whatever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They manufacture street lighting that is solar powered so costs nothing in terms of power as it charges up during the day and lights up at night. But it is viewed as too expensive to purchase vs normal street lighting. I would dare say there is no equivalent nuclear option on health and safety grounds.:)
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people seem wilfully ignorant about renewable energy, particularly wind and solar. Once they've realised that the sun doesn't always shine and the wind doesn't always blow they give up any any further thinking and assume the discussion is over - 'might as well stay with fossil fuels'. Isn't it funny that those who give up so easily are the ones who don't 'get it' that climate change caused by humanity is a problem?

Renewables don't all go offline at once so there is often wind at night, while a calm, wind-free day may be sunny. Probably not all wind farms will be becalmed at the same time, but we'll still have hydro, geothermal, tidal, pumped storage etc. These sources need to be seen as working together to reduce dependence on fossil fuels.

We still need a 'conventional' system to provide power when all else fails but this for less total power generated, so we reduce fuel costs, reliance on dwindling resources from sources outside our control - and of course, CO2 emissions!

The OP linking solar with street lights makes only a little sense. Maybe he's asking this: "if solar is in effect free why should we save energy by turning off street lights?" This depends on ability to store the energy, but batteries aren't cheap or very efficient so it's not a good plan.

I really want the lights to go off to give people a chance to see the sky.

People out late can carry a torch. Not asking people to make such easy provision for their own minority needs but demanding that everyone else makes more expensive provision for the few seems rather lefty to me. :p